The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Plastic Piece below Gas Pedal

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    4G64

Plastic Piece below Gas Pedal

Hey guys.. there's a black plastic piece on the floor directly under the gas pedal... it is removable.. but I just want to know if that piece actually does anything.. like preventing over-rev the engine or anything like that...

BEAST
    If anything I think that it would stop the pedal from going too far down and opening your throttle too much. So you can only open it far enough that it doesn't start closing the other way? If you can understand what I am trying to say. In other words to keep it from going past a 90 degree angle from the throttle body.

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'>If anything I think that it would stop the pedal from going too far down and opening your throttle too much. Â*So you can only open it far enough that it doesn't start closing the other way? Â*If you can understand what I am trying to say. Â*In other words to keep it from going past a 90 degree angle from the throttle body.</div>

Thats what i think it does 2, well thats what this guy i know said at the shop said
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

i thought it just gave the pedal something hard to land on since the floor is just carpeted carboard and u don't want the pedal getting stuck on the carpet.

i mean if its the throttle i guess that can be still done by tightening the throttle cable alot and then flooring it...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'>If anything I think that it would stop the pedal from going too far down and opening your throttle too much. Â*So you can only open it far enough that it doesn't start closing the other way? Â*If you can understand what I am trying to say. Â*In other words to keep it from going past a 90 degree angle from the throttle body.</div>

Thats what i think it does 2, well thats what this guy i know said at the shop said</div>

If youve ever removed your tb, there is a metal stop on the outside by the throttle cable spring, prevents the butterfly from turning the oposite way and closing itself. I think the plastic piece is what Pinoy says and most likely has nothing to do with over reving ( since ecu controls that).
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

4G64
    my throttle cable is pretty lose.. and I tired to throttle cable tighten mod.. it help a little bit.. but the pedal still has about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of free play before it actually pulls down the throttle cable.. by taking off that plastic piece.. I do gain about 1/2 more pedal movement.. so I guess it equals out..

but thanks guys for all these feebacks and infos.. really appreciated..

Kain
    That just protects the carpet. Like JIP said, the TB can only open just so far until it hits the stop cast into the TB.

IllestGalant
    I had my friend hold the gas pedal to the floor and looked at the throttle
    plate, it can't open any more or else it would be closing in the other direction. also the ecu can't read any more than 100% throttle anyway but good thinking

Kain
    Actually...If you take the throttle cable mounting plate and springs off the shaft, you'll see that the throttle plate has about 345 degrees of motion. If you look at it from the side, the throttle, even when closed, is not perfectly perpendicular to the ground. It's slanted ever so slightly toward the open position. This keeps the throttle from sticking closed if you let it "snap" shut. (which it will do if you mess with the little screw on the side of the TB or the closed throttle position switch on a 60mm unit) However, there are two stops (one for closed, one for WOT) to ensure that the throttle only has about 89 degrees of total movement. Also, that's the extent of the TPS's range of motion as well, so even if you could go past that, you'd break the TPS. You'd be amazed what you find out when you spend 2 hours meticulously cleaning and analyzing a car part.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>You'd be amazed what you find out when you spend 2 hours meticulously cleaning and analyzing a car part.</div>

Aint that the truth!

I cant even find this lil plastic part you speak of! Is it mounted to the floor or on the bottom of the pedal? I got nothing on my floor but carpte, and I got aftermarket pedals so nuthin there either. Maybe I removed this piece when I pulled my carpet out to paint it and didnt put it back. O well that shows you dont need it, its added weight slowing you donw. :laughing:
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

IllestGalant
    stage one weight reduction... oops... there goes the spare and the back seat