The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: led taillight project... How to with pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 37

led taillight project... How to with pics

Ok... So last month i decided I wanted to try and add leds to my taillights. So i ordered prewired 10mm leds from china. I ordered 100 of them in red. With chrome led holders. paid 52.00 shipped. I then ordered a dual function wire harness for about 8 bucks shipped. Allows you to use regular leds as running and brake lights. Then i paid 13.00 for two trailer wire harnesses. So once everything came in I got started. First I put the tails in the oven at 250 for 10 mins, the trick is to put them lens down on a cookie sheet with a damp towel on the cookie sheet so the lens dosent melt. Once I got them apart I was able to see what i had to work with... SO i made a templete out of poster board of the inside of the taillight and traced it onto some thin sheet metal. I then cut it out with metal sheers to the shape and test fitted it. Once i did this and got it right i figured out what pattern of lights i wanted to do. I wanted to fit as many as possible. The jdm tail is divided into two side so in drew a line on the sheet metal when the split was and used this line as a guide. Make sure to remember the measurements from the center line so both sides match. The first side is eaiser, its a little tougher making them match perfect, soi take your time. i measured the lights one inch apart side to side and top to bottom(what a pain in the ass to make both sides match...) So once done i used a 1/2 drill bit and drilled out each of the 82 holes and make sure you take your time, you want the lbulbs to line up. Once the was completed i installed each bulb holder. Then one by one insalled each prewired led. I used wire stripers and wired them in a series, then sodered them. I then drilled a small hole under one of the vents on the back of the taillight to run the two wires thru and put sealer in the hole. I then put the bezel in place and taped it on the edges with metal a/c duct tape so it would not be seen. I then reinstalled the taillight lens, i did this with a heatgun and reheating the glue and glueing back together. Then to the positive wire from the leds i wired the dual function harness. Now the way i wired it to the car was using a trailer wire harness for each side. This way i can remove the taillight if needed to replace turn signal and reverse light. So i cut one brake light holder/harness from each side and wired it to the trailer wire harness and wired the other side to the tailight and pluged it in. Also make sure you put the old unused light socket in the back of the taillamps so they are still sealed. Then just bolt back in place and admire your work..

trailer wire harness

the metal cut to fit

led holders in metal and tes fitted.

leds wired into the metal, sodared and taped up

Test fited with leds in holders and wired up lighted up using a 9 volt battery

now lighted up with the lens on with the 9volt battery

running lights on car

brake lights (night)

(day)

here is how it looks done before the install

after the install
    Last edited by guynlidia2006; 11-11-2008 at 08:02 PM
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

do you know if i can wire everything the same like you did, but on a 7g?

also nice work

WANNA LOOK FRESH????
    GET SOME CLOTHES AT KARMALOOP.COM AND GET 20% ON FIRST PURCHASE WHEN USING REPCODE:KN21899

siniGANG represent!

should be able to. it will wire like that to any 1157 or other scoket, you just cut it off and wire it in.. the trailer harness is unversial
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

do you have a link to where you got the led lights from?

WANNA LOOK FRESH????
    GET SOME CLOTHES AT KARMALOOP.COM AND GET 20% ON FIRST PURCHASE WHEN USING REPCODE:KN21899

siniGANG represent!

ok you need two of these. One for each taillamp. (These do not work well enough) pm me and i can make you a harness..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

ok the seller from the aucton bellow has the leds and holders, just email him and tell him how many you want, the more you get the better the price. I got 100 leds and 100 holders. I paid 52.99. Tell him thats the price you would like. In my tails i have 41 in each. So 100 seems like alot. But its not.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

then goto autozone and get two trailer wire harnesses. Then you will be good.
    Last edited by guynlidia2006; 11-11-2008 at 08:03 PM
    Mods:

oh and the metal i used was a no tresspassing sign from walmart, just thick enough and easy to cut. I bought two. 97 cents each.
    Mods:

*thumbs up*
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

wow, nice job.

JDM front covension Old style vr4,18"axis black seven mod,clifford alarm,egr rear window visor,kenwood unit 7"screen DVD,two tones paint job,3G strut bar , HID's.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    nice tut man, thats some serious nice and hard work there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillyasianz View Post
    *thumbs up*
    Quote Originally Posted by galant305 View Post
    wow, nice job.
    Quote Originally Posted by 99 galant View Post
    nice tut man, thats some serious nice and hard work there.
    thanks guys... it was nerve racking... i did not want to mess up my jdm's
    Mods:

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    great job, but I suggest you break the tutorial into steps with pix next to some of the steps. Makes it easier to read and follow. Instead of one huge paragraph with pix at the bottom.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by guynlidia2006 View Post
    Then one by one insalled each prewired led. I used wire stripers and wired them in a series, then sodered them.

why would u get prewired leds and then wire them up i series?? if one of the leds were to fail, then you'd lose all of your lights. if you wired them up in parallel then if one of the leds would die, you'd still have the rest of the leds working.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

well one wasent working and all worked but that one... i just swapped it out before i resealed it. so its not gonna be like x-mas lights.. when one is bloiwn all go out... so then i guess the correct term would be i ran them parallel.
    Mods:

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    They're in parallel

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87 View Post
    They're in parallel
    lol thanks... see it was so easy a caveman coiuld do it..
    Mods:

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Oh and its solder :)

i dig it 8)

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_db View Post
    i dig it 8)
    thank you sir... if anyone wants me to make them a set just hit me up..
    Mods:

hey man nice job on the LEDs they look great

can you make a set for a 7g??:D

WANNA LOOK FRESH????

siniGANG represent!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast