The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Post your DOHC setup

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 26 of 26
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    I figure the stock 64 gears would make it easier and more affordable for the swap. I think it could work and I have an extra set of gears for the new cams but I'm willing to help with that experiment before I use them. Now when you time your motors you have to have the dowel pins on the cams straight up and with the gears like I said, they would be pointing straight up and timing marks facing each other. In theory it sounds like a good idea.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Thats the thing though, the timing marks on the EVO arent really like that. If you would imagine a clock face, the timing mark for the intake cam is at about 11 O'clock and the exhaust cam about 1 O'clock. The mark are on the valve cover. So lets say your timing was off, it would be harder to tell because on a DSM you time the cams in relation to each other and not against the valve cover. This gets even more complicated when your using aftermarket cams. My HKS 272 cams were about 12 degrees out versus the timing mark. So its really a quality control issue from the manufacturer. My GSC S2's were closer to 6 degrees out. To degree the cams properly, adjustable gears are a must.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

i would have to see the 2 sets of gears next to each other and see if when the GS gears point at each other the cams would be in the same position as the stock evo gears. imagine if it did put them in the same spot and they are running stock cams in their swap, then its just point the marks at each other and go, no need to degree the stock cams.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

wow this is a good discussion, i havent checked this thread in few days and i didnt get any email notifications

so what do u guys recommend for cam gears ??

im curious to the differences between the DSM cam gears and the evo cam gears, anyone knows ??
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

U would not be able to use the normal dsm gears if this is possible. Only the 1994 galant GS cam gears. I am down to help someone test this on a head to see if the cams end up in the same position.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Would the sonata timing covers work ??
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12