The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Worth Doing?

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Worth Doing?

I've been looking around and started wondering, is it really worth supercharging an engine with high miles? and if so, is RIPP the way to go?

NO.. too many variables could go wrong. You need to change some engine components. I mean. If you boost the engine it wont last long do to ware "most take like 2 to 3 PSI max". you need to change some important parts like, rods and main bearings, piston, piston rings. clean head, replace head gasket, valves gasket, and other things to have a healthy engine and boost it.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

I thought it was probably a bad idea. just wanted to make sure. thanks for the info.

No pro.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

it depends n what do you mean by high milege. i turboed my car at 240k miles with oil leaking from everywhere
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

My car has 205,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    it depends n what do you mean by high milege. i turboed my car at 240k miles with oil leaking from everywhere
    Thats absolutly beautiful, brought a smile to my face :)
    Boost, its whats for dinner

Experienced TGC Member
    Since I see you have a V6 model Galant let me set some things straight.

You can boost these engines to roughly 5-6psi safely, provided regular maintenance such as gaskets, timing belt, and so on have been dealt with first and no other issues are present.

The OEM 6g72 rods are plenty strong for boost, even up to 400whp...same with the crankshaft as they are OEM forged cranks. This has all been thoroughly proven on a few 3rd Gen Eclipse vehicles, though not to the high HP numbers. The high HP numbers were from a previous member of this community who provided a wealth of documentation on the engine through an extensive build.

Your OEM pistons are the weak link as they are a cheap cast material, they do not hold up well under higher boost, and the longevity is seriously compromised.

With that cleared up, you will really need to evaluate the dollar/hp gain from installing a supercharger, along with the peak boost you will be running, and the additional (if boost pressure requires you to do so) engine build components needed.

Very few have really pushed some "impressive" FI numbers on the 6g72,74, 75 series engines on these vehicles. There are only a handful who have surpassed the 450whp mark where FI truly gets its benefit for the money spent.

Your best option with the high mileage engine would be to take the money and do a 6g75 3.8L Non-MIVEC engine conversion which has proven to be an easy 60-80hp gain, and tons of torque with just simple bolt ons like an intake, headers and full exhaust. These newer 6g75 engines have far superior cylinder heads than the prevous 3.0 (6g72), & 3.5L (6g74) engines. With aftermarket cams currently available, and another option for those coming over the winter months, these engines can easily break into the 300whp levels (as proven with the MIVEC version which uses a high speed cam equivalent to a set of RPW Stage 2 camshafts).

Definitely consider what you want to acheive with the car, and power levels, then add up the costs to make your best decision for the investment

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

This can be done on 6G72. Initially the engine was 198 hp. After the installation of the compressor 261 hp.
    Turbo - it is a snail, but the bitch is very fast.

However, as he said SPD FRK, the weak point of the pistons. 1 month later they broke up. This is due to the fact, that they had not done setting ECU. The engine had worked with the explosion. Destroyed the bridges between the piston rings.
    Last edited by stayer; 11-03-2011 at 02:21 AM

Further determined forged pistons. And tune ECU. Output amounted to 315 hp. The car was still alive. If you want supercharger, it is real, but you need to configure the ECU.

Forgot to say. In both cases, the pressure was 10 psi

Would I be able to configure the ecu myself or would I have to have a pro do it?

I don't know your abilities and skills. On the forum there are guys who can help you with the ECU.

I want to adjust manufacture of the compressors. Read this topic https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...t=45845&page=3 It has long stretches, because it is difficult to establish communication with the military industry. But it is nearing completion. Soon I will go out to the market of the superchargers.

Quote Originally Posted by stayer View Post
    Further determined forged pistons. And tune ECU. Output amounted to 315 hp. The car was still alive. If you want supercharger, it is real, but you need to configure the ECU.
    What piston/Supercharger/ECU did you use? Where did you buy it and how much?

Did you change other things on your engine?