The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: BabyG is now boosted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 59

BabyG is now boosted.

Got the car started. Drove it a bit and she feels AWESOME driving. I hit 5psi and the instant TQ is UH-MAZING! I have a ghetto downpipe set-up on it ATM so I cant really watch the AFR's yet and I havent gone past half throttle (only did it once).

This is where I get frustrated. The car idles rough. I unplugged the MAF and the car idles much smoother. This would lead me to believe that I need a MAF, though I dont want to jump to conclusions.

I also shrinked the gap to .030 on a set of BKR6E-11's. I most likely have fouled those now since the car DUMPED fuel when I unplugged the MAF. I will grab another set and keep them at .044 and see if she straightens out.

I let her idle for about 10 mins. and the tach seemed to smooth out without any fluctuation but the car still ran rough. You can feel the miss throughout the car at idle. ONLY at idle.

I dont want to rule out the E-manage but my laptop wont communicate with the unit ATM so I am trying to rule out all the mechanical things I can before jumping into the computer.

Any input will be appreciated. I want to drive the car on the regular again and any help and ideas shared will get me there sooner.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Hey man congrats on the progress. Im sure everyone is going to ask for pics lol

Yeah big thangs poppin with these monster Galants lately, congrats!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    Congrats!
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

Which MAF are you using, I would suggest getting an evo MAF. I'd get all the electrical gremlins sorted out first so you're not looking for mechanical issues that might necessarily be there. Congrats on getting babyg getting boosted jigz :)
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Thanks! Wish I could get her to idle properly.

one pic

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    Which MAF are you using, I would suggest getting an evo MAF. I'd get all the electrical gremlins sorted out first so you're not looking for mechanical issues that might necessarily be there. Congrats on getting babyg getting boosted jigz :)
    Thanks Martin

I'm using the stock 8G MAF. Is the EVO MAF Plug and Play? I'm only on an E-manage Blue.

congrats man! I'm sure you know were all expecting videos =)

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

PM Isaurio. I remember him talking about the different MAFs. I think you might wanna look into the Diamonte as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

According to Aaron @ English racing, the evo MAF is plug and play if your car is boosted but I am also going with an evo ecu, so that might be why. Jigz, I honestly am going to ask why you decided to go with the emanage? May I suggest swapping to an evo 8 ecu, I think in the long term the headache from the emanage will not be worth it. But as I said before, I'd get all the electrical stuff figured out first. Baby G looks menacing in that photo :)
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Experienced TGC Member
    FWIW - Ivory8g (where Jigz got Emanage from) was running stock Galant 501 MAF.

The 482 MAF is on the Eclipse GTS models and flows more air simply because of the air horn being smaller (essentially just removing the air horn from the 501 MAF).

Your stock MAF will be plenty fine, Marc ran up to 13+psi of boost with no issues, though the 482, or modified 501 MAF would benefit better from removing the "bottleneck" on the intake track. Without actually going into your ECU (not the Emanage) swapping out the MAF will not accomplish much but cause more issues due to the change. It is best to stick with your stock one for now until everything settles and you can push further with things.

If you need a second MAF to maybe try out let me know, I am sitting on two 501s at the moment and 1 that is in progress of being modified to match that of the 482.

Have you changed any tune settings on the E-Manage, or do you know if Marc changed anything since it was pulled from his Galant? I know during the short period we had to work on his Galant we were battling an idle issue (fluctuating RPM like a vac leak or something). The tune he had on the E-manage before was not very well done by another shop out here, thus why we were starting to tune it ourselves.

What errors or anything are you seeing when trying to communicate with the E-Manage? It may be driver related as I had the same issue initially with it in his Galant. I can dig through my files as I believe I still have everything for the E-Manage. Shoot me an email and I will forward everything I have for it so you can try that out.
    Last edited by SPD_FRK; 11-02-2011 at 11:10 PM

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Ohh nice i like seeing 4g64 with extra ponies.

Evo maf will only work with the evo ecu. I dont known if in the emanage you could change the maf scaling. Size. Filter and smoothing.

They only reason you having the maf problem is because the emanage needs to be tune for that 501 maf. I will go with the 482 eclipse gts maf or the evo 399 that read more pound of air dan the 501. You need to get that fixed. The maf is one of the most inportant sensor. Is the one that tells the injectors how much fuel they should spray in. Get that fix before you drive it.

Also get or install a knock sensor. To read engine knock. Without that is not safe to boost or tune.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 11-02-2011 at 11:19 PM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post

Evo maf will only work with the evo ecu. I dont known if in the emanage you could change the maf scaling. Size. Filter and smoothing.

They only reason you having the maf problem is because the emanage needs to be tune for that 501 maf. I will go with the 482 eclipse gts maf or the evo 399 that read more pound of air dan the 501. You need to get that fixed. The maf is one of the most inportant sensor. Is the one that tells the injentor how much fuel they should spray in. Get that fix before you drive it.

Also get or install a knock sensor. To read engine knock. Without that is not safe to boost or tune.
    The thing is that E-Manage came off Marc's (Ivory8g) boosted Galant which ran the stock 501 MAF, no issues. The E-Manage is a piggyback so it is taking the OEM signals and just intercepting, it can run with either MAF setups.

You can tune the setup pretty safely without Knock sensor, Marc had his tuned a couple times without it, and once we got into the tuning we could clearly see the timing was not safe as we could clearly feel the engine fighting itself above 3K RPM.

www.blackheartmotors.net

also get ngk bpr7es plugs and gap them to .022-.028 at the most your current gap is rather large.

also Contrats on the few found power ,need more pics of the setup.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Congrats Jigz, I'll have to see how she runs soon!

How did you notice knock?

SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Experienced TGC Member
    How did you notice knock?
    That's the beauty of tuning this things, if the knock is there you can hear the pinging sound, and you can certainly feel if timing is not right.

Basically yes, in an ideal situation you want to monitor knock, but in some cases it is not always necessary. You can tune pretty safely without monitoring knock, will you get best results, probaby not. Marc ran his setup for basically 2 years being tuned that way until he parked it for other plans.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    FWIW - Ivory8g (where Jigz got Emanage from) was running stock Galant 501 MAF.

The 482 MAF is on the Eclipse GTS models and flows more air simply because of the air horn being smaller (essentially just removing the air horn from the 501 MAF).

Your stock MAF will be plenty fine, Marc ran up to 13+psi of boost with no issues, though the 482, or modified 501 MAF would benefit better from removing the "bottleneck" on the intake track. Without actually going into your ECU (not the Emanage) swapping out the MAF will not accomplish much but cause more issues due to the change. It is best to stick with your stock one for now until everything settles and you can push further with things.

If you need a second MAF to maybe try out let me know, I am sitting on two 501s at the moment and 1 that is in progress of being modified to match that of the 482.

Have you changed any tune settings on the E-Manage, or do you know if Marc changed anything since it was pulled from his Galant? I know during the short period we had to work on his Galant we were battling an idle issue (fluctuating RPM like a vac leak or something). The tune he had on the E-manage before was not very well done by another shop out here, thus why we were starting to tune it ourselves.

What errors or anything are you seeing when trying to communicate with the E-Manage? It may be driver related as I had the same issue initially with it in his Galant. I can dig through my files as I believe I still have everything for the E-Manage. Shoot me an email and I will forward everything I have for it so you can try that out.
    I havent touched anything on the E-manage what so ever. Marc sent me a few files, I think I am installing them wrong or something because I keep getting errors when I try to install them.

As for the MAF, There is a 01 8G sitting in the back lot at work with a busted timing belt, I will see if I can snatch the MAF and see if it will resolve my idle issues.

They only reason you having the maf problem is because the emanage needs to be tune for that 501 maf. I will go with the 482 eclipse gts maf or the evo 399 that read more pound of air dan the 501. You need to get that fixed. The maf is one of the most inportant sensor. Is the one that tells the injectors how much fuel they should spray in. Get that fix before you drive it.

I saw a screen shot of an E-manage map for airflow adjustment so I can only imagine it does, though I'm not sure if that was a E-manage Blue or Ultimate's screen shot.

I am going to wire in a knock light, just need to get to it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    The thing is that E-Manage came off Marc's (Ivory8g) boosted Galant which ran the stock 501 MAF, no issues. The E-Manage is a piggyback so it is taking the OEM signals and just intercepting, it can run with either MAF setups.

You can tune the setup pretty safely without Knock sensor, Marc had his tuned a couple times without it, and once we got into the tuning we could clearly see the timing was not safe as we could clearly feel the engine fighting itself above 3K RPM.
    Though, I also remember Marc mentioning that the last person who tuned his car did not touch the timing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by underated View Post
    also get ngk bpr7es plugs and gap them to .022-.028 at the most your current gap is rather large.

also Contrats on the few found power ,need more pics of the setup.
    Wouldnt that be TWO steps colder? I was under the impression that we were supposed to only go down one heat range colder. I was running the copper 6's because I didnt want to fork out the dough for the platinums everytime I replace plugs, because once you gap them the platinums dont last as long. I will try those though. As far as the gap, I've always gapped our 2G's and 1G's at .025" idk why I decided to go .030" for my car.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Congrats Jigz, I'll have to see how she runs soon!
    This is the reason why I have been missing your texts. I seriously havent had my phone on me the past two days. Mostly because it falls out of my pocket and I never know where it is. lol. No worries you will be the first TGC member to get a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    According to Aaron @ English racing, the evo MAF is plug and play if your car is boosted but I am also going with an evo ecu, so that might be why. Jigz, I honestly am going to ask why you decided to go with the emanage? May I suggest swapping to an evo 8 ecu, I think in the long term the headache from the emanage will not be worth it. But as I said before, I'd get all the electrical stuff figured out first. Baby G looks menacing in that photo :)
    I went with the E-manage because for the price I got it for with the harness, i really couldnt pass it up. Also, I saw how good Marc's set-up was and figured it'll be Ok for a small boost build. I am planning on going EVO ECU or 3G M/T ECU when I do the wire tuck next summer. The E-manage was just the only thing the budget would prefer to do right now. I've done some research on boosted Hondas and I have a buddy with a boosted EM2 and a boosted S2k on the E-manage and they are monsters. Theyre really not that bad it's just a matter of understanding how to tune it.

Ohh i see. That poping sound thats a xtreme knock and yes computer will go with the lower timing map not the high one thats why the lag. I will be in the same situation with my g soon.

SOHC Turbo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast