The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: BabyG is now boosted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 59
    Matt, just to add, I don't have a lot of fluctuating with the idle, it just runs rough. like a HARD miss. I will try the plugs Brandon suggested and let you know.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

TGC Regular
    Congrats . I hope u find what's up with it soon
    Nothing is nicer then a early 90's mitsu

thats what im running now with now problems. my idle is rock solid even with the cams. im just using the copper plugs so if they get fouled while tuning its not that big of a deal since the iridums are close to 10 a piece.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

stock maf works just fine

copper plugs work great

random misfire is definitely from the spark gap being to big. spark is being blown out.

pretty easy to adjust timing on these cars to be honest with or without a knock sensor. of course one would be prime, especially if you are just starting out with tuning. However if you dont understand how it works you shouldnt be tinkering with it anyways right?
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Jigz congrats on boosting. Regarding the miss at idle, it's likely your plug gap being too large, a weak coil, or too much fuel. I was running 15 psi on my car with AEM and I would get a random miss with NKG BPR7ES gapped down to .022 on stock coils. I ended up having to go to a 8ES to clean it up. Try one step colder plugs if you can't find anything else wrong. I personally always use copper plugs also don't waste money on platinum. I don't know much about e-manage, I've only messed with it once and I got all types of error messages and shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member
    Hey man. Im not trying to insult your intelligence but i had this happen to me. When i got everything back together my car would run like shit and pop at idle. After weeks of investigating, my MAFT Pro unit wouldnt read any MAF's at all, sent that in and got it fixed. I installed it and the same shit. Well, it turns out i crossed one of the plug wires during the spark plug installation. Stupid shit happens to the best of us and leave NOTHING overlooked! Congrats!

stock injectors, stock fpr currently? If the only addition you did was the turbo, then I you should be able to idle correctly. If you cant even idle, then its the tune at idle that is messing it up.

Also, the hotrodder rule of thumb is to go 1 step colder for every 100hp you make. Car is about 100hp stock and uses bkr5e plugs. Jigz will be fine with 1 step colder for now

Quote Originally Posted by underated View Post
    thats what im running now with now problems. my idle is rock solid even with the cams. im just using the copper plugs so if they get fouled while tuning its not that big of a deal since the iridums are close to 10 a piece.
    I bought a set and the nut was a 13/16 instead of a 5/8. How the effff did you get the socket to fit down the plug tube?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory8g View Post
    stock maf works just fine

copper plugs work great

random misfire is definitely from the spark gap being to big. spark is being blown out.

pretty easy to adjust timing on these cars to be honest with or without a knock sensor. of course one would be prime, especially if you are just starting out with tuning. However if you dont understand how it works you shouldnt be tinkering with it anyways right?
    I shrunk the gap this morning to .025 it started up sounding healthy but at around 800 it started to miss again. I think its way too late for the plugs. I will try to shrink it to .022 with newer plugs and see if she straightens out. I am also going to clean the MAF.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Jigz congrats on boosting. Regarding the miss at idle, it's likely your plug gap being too large, a weak coil, or too much fuel. I was running 15 psi on my car with AEM and I would get a random miss with NKG BPR7ES gapped down to .022 on stock coils. I ended up having to go to a 8ES to clean it up. Try one step colder plugs if you can't find anything else wrong. I personally always use copper plugs also don't waste money on platinum. I don't know much about e-manage, I've only messed with it once and I got all types of error messages and shit.
    Thanks Brian. Yeah I cant seem to get the driver to install for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    Hey man. Im not trying to insult your intelligence but i had this happen to me. When i got everything back together my car would run like shit and pop at idle. After weeks of investigating, my MAFT Pro unit wouldnt read any MAF's at all, sent that in and got it fixed. I installed it and the same shit. Well, it turns out i crossed one of the plug wires during the spark plug installation. Stupid shit happens to the best of us and leave NOTHING overlooked! Congrats!
    I thought of that as well Johnas, so I swapped the coils and still did the same. It's really hard to mess the spark plug wires up on the 8G 4G64.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    stock injectors, stock fpr currently? If the only addition you did was the turbo, then I you should be able to idle correctly. If you cant even idle, then its the tune at idle that is messing it up.

Also, the hotrodder rule of thumb is to go 1 step colder for every 100hp you make. Car is about 100hp stock and uses bkr5e plugs. Jigz will be fine with 1 step colder for now

It's on WRX 440's, Walbro 255, Evo rail, and Evo FPR. It idles, it just idles rough. The car can literally idle for 10-15 mins without dying but it doesnt idle smooth. it also idles fine after letting off the throttle while coasting. It also idles fine when you push the clutch down. It's only an issue when it is sitting at 700-800 RPM.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Did you check all your vacuum hoses?

Experienced TGC Member XxGiRLaNT06xX's Avatar
    congrats!!

2011 Ibis White Audi S4
    *When you turn your car on ... does it return the favor?*
    Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    The thread got big fast because Ally is the bomb lol.

Welcome to the boost leak madness!!
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Congrats Jigz
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

congrats! I was starting to wonder where you've been.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

wait are you sohc still? if so those bpr7es wont fit i dont think. i thought you had done the dohc swap and thats why you didnt pick up that rpw cam that was for sale. sorry jigz
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Experienced TGC Member
    Another thing. My friend used the e-manage blue in his car and no matter what he did he ALWAYS had an idle issue so he ditched it for megasquirt and it works fine. He has a 1.6 MIVEC

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Did you check all your vacuum hoses?
    Yup. nothing evident.

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    congrats!!
    Thnks Ally!

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Welcome to the boost leak madness!!
    Oh I know. youre going to have to show me how to make a tester!

Quote Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone View Post
    Congrats Jigz
    Thanks Jay!

wait are you sohc still? if so those bpr7es wont fit i dont think. i thought you had done the dohc swap and thats why you didnt pick up that rpw cam that was for sale. sorry jigz
    Yeah, I am still SOHC. I figured it would fit the DOHC head. It's no big deal my dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    Another thing. My friend used the e-manage blue in his car and no matter what he did he ALWAYS had an idle issue so he ditched it for megasquirt and it works fine. He has a 1.6 MIVEC
    I'm getting so frustrated but I'm stuck with what I got.

I cleaned the MAF today and re-gapped the 6's to .022" and she cleared up a bit. I drove her to work and she doesn't hesitate while under load. none at all. did not break up once. I just installed a set of BKR7E-11's and she cleared up some more but did not get rid of the misfire. It seems she misfires more at first start than anything.

Also, I noticed at around 600 RPM when she misfires the worse, the lights in the cabin dim. all the gauges and everything. I have a junkyard alternator that I put on in a bind beginning of this year when the stock one went out. My DMM says she is putting out 13.8-14V at idle though idk how accurate the DMM would be compared to an actual charging system test.

She popped the SES so I hooked up the scanner and 3 codes popped up

-Random misfire
    -Volume/Mass ariflow circuit (pending)
    -Random misfire (pending)

The first p0300 had Freeze frame and it goes as follows.

Open Loop
    Fuel system Bank 1 ON
    Calc load at 19.2%
    Long term trim @ 4.2ish
    Short term @ 0

The only thing that jumps out at me is the 19.2% calculated load, though, the TPS uses up .5V of the 5V reference when the throttle is closed so that could be the reason it is reading 19.2%. I know the Toyota has a 22% TPS reading with the TB all the way closed.

for the MAF code, I think it's throwing the code because the E-manage is intercepting the MAF signal. i saw the same code on a boosted TC running on an AEM FIC.

I tried to install the drivers for the E-manage on my laptop last night but I was way lost. I could not get anything to install whatsoever. I would love to get into the tables and see if there is anything that seems out of place.

I am also really considering the alternator. Theoretically, a weak alternator could affect all systems including the ignition system. Makes sense to me because she stops misfiring at a high idle and under load when the alternator is spinning faster. Also, before i tore the car apart, the windows struggled to go up when I pulled them up all at the same time. I tested the battery and it tested out good.

I should probably also try the coils. Though, they did not act up before I tore the car apart. do the EVO coils fit the SOHC? IIRC as long as we use the Galant boots they should fit.

Any input is very MUCH appreciated. and all the input so far is awesome and I thank you all! Just want to get her to idle properly because she feels DAMMMNNNNN good driving.

Wow bro. U need to fix the maf. U should not get a maf or ramdom misss fire. Radom means air to fuel mix up error. Maf problem or injector even o2. Bro. Double check the emanage for the maf settings. The pcm or emanage dont like the signal of the maf. This is causing knock i bet.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

tps should read between 13-15% with your foot off the gas. i havent seen any difference in the evo coils other then the boots but you can try them if you want. i agree with isaurio check the connection for the maf wire... are the wires soldered or butt connected?

Yeap. Tps % on stock is round 12.4%. On a v6 is 13.333% or. Dont put it above14-15 it will cause idle problem since the pcm is set for idle on neutral around 740 rpm or so.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    Wow bro. U need to fix the maf. U should not get a maf or ramdom misss fire. Radom means air to fuel mix up error. Maf problem or injector even o2. Bro. Double check the emanage for the maf settings. The pcm or emanage dont like the signal of the maf. This is causing knock i bet.
    I just tried a different 501. Came off of a working car with no codes, and the idle smoothed out A LITTLE BIT but still misfired. It misfires aroun 600-700/750. at 1000 its smooth and at times at 800-900 its smooth. Going to dig into the E-manage tomorrow and see if this computer communicates

tps should read between 13-15% with your foot off the gas. i havent seen any difference in the evo coils other then the boots but you can try them if you want. i agree with isaurio check the connection for the maf wire... are the wires soldered or butt connected?
    It's a boomslang harness. It came off of Marc's (Ivory8g) 8G with no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    Yeap. Tps % on stock is round 12.4%. On a v6 is 13.333% or. Dont put it above14-15 it will cause idle problem since the pcm is set for idle on neutral around 740 rpm or so.
    Is there a chance I could adjust the TPS? Though I didnt touch it other than disconnecting the connector when I was putting the fuel system in it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast