The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: hearing a wierd noise under the hood

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    99GalantOn18s

hearing a wierd noise under the hood

wussup!!? i have a problem... i was sittin yesterday finishin my grill mod with my car on and noticed that i hear a wierd tickin sound... i'll hear the ticking sound get louder then goes away... it'll start out really soft and get louder, then it'll go away and start over... i think it might be in the block but i dunno what it is... someone knows what might be up help me out...

TWISTED II
    look to the left of your intake manifold....you'll see a lil black cylindrical shaped...thing. put your finger on top of it and you'll feel the tick coming from there. i've yet to find out what it does though, but thats where it comes from.

99GalantOn18s

hmm

but i havent heard this sounds until like 2 days ago... i never heard it before... maybe something came loose?

TWISTED II
    nah, i don't think things just "come lose" lol. unless you've recently rebuilt your motor and never torqued down something. what mods do you have done in the engine? if its stock, nothing came lose. is it a random tick, or does it kinda have a pattern to it, like a steady tick?

99GalantOn18s

damn

its a steady tick... it has a pattern to it... it'll make the tickin sound gettin louder than stop at a certain point and start over again... the mods i have r an injen intake, apexi exhaust, spark plugs which i gotta change, and aem pulleys... alot of other mods but those r the performance ones

TWISTED II
    did you check the lil cylindrical thing to the left of your intake manifold? i'm pretty sure thats what your talking about. next time you hear it, park and jump out and see. just put your finger on the top of it and see if the lil tapping corresponds with the tick.

man listen when twisted speaks. It's that little black cylindrical thing. Now I get to chime in and tell you what it does. Thats the pump that pressurizes your fuel tank to make sure it's working according to emissions standards. If it fails your OBDII will generate an Evaporative Emissions System Gross Leak failure. How do I know this? because when I did my silicone hoses, the one on that pump was crimped so it couldn't suck the air from the fuel tank, and I got the code. Had to go to the service manual to diagnose it. That's your click, I guarnatee it.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

00 galant
    word, well i have this gurgaling sound is this the same sound? it started when i went over 60 thou.I talk to some guy at my mitsu dealer and said they can do some kind of fluse, but wasen't forsure if that would fix the problem? were did you take yours fishboy ? dealership or not?

Nah this is different then the gurgling sound. This is a tick. The gurgling could be your coolant system. You may want to have it power flushed. I'm not there yet, as I'm only at 46k. And no, I haven't been back to the dealer except for warranty recalls.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

if you have a 4 banger that ticking noise is normal.
    the 2.4 l is non adjustable. hondas and toyotas make that ticking noise if they need to be adjusted. have you switched to synthetic . mine got louder when i switched. or maybe you never noticed the noise.
    2001 I4 White ES
    Injen intake
    Arospeed bomb
    Magnecore wires
    Denso iridiums
    Gdi stb
    Alpine cd
    polk components
    2 alpine 10s
    2003 17inch eclipse gt rims
    Yokohama tires

99GalantOn18s