The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing Belt Tension 4g64

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar

Timing Belt Tension 4g64

can anyone elaborate how to properly set the tension for the timing belt; i have the 2 pin tool; torque wrench....i been reading the fsm but i can't connect why im using this tool and how do I know tension is correct on the belt

same deal for the balance shaft belt

its supposed to auto-tension

U have to compress the tensioner and slide the pin in, then once u have the tensioner in place pull the pin

HTC EVO 4G
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Eibach Pro Kit on GR2 Struts
    Cold Air Intake
    Outlander Intake Manifold
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap
    Prothane Motor Mount Inserts

im getting 25mpg city and 30mpg highway untuned!!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Here is the deal.

First off, leave the grenade pin in the hydraulic auto-tensioner. If you already took it out, remove the tensioner, compress it in a vise and put the pin back in. If you lost the pin, you can use any type of pin or strong nail to hold it.

Regarding the actual belt tension when using the two prong tensioner tool. Essentially your supposed to put that tool onto a 1/4" drive torque wrench and turn the wrench until it clicks, hold it there and use a socket to tighten the bolt down to lock the tensioner pulley into place. I have never used a torque wrench for this, I always do it by feel. I have done it more than a dozen times so I just sorta know where it should be. You can use the two prong holes in the tensioner pulley as a reference point. This is after I installed the timing belt on my old EVO motor.

Once you get the tensioner set. Rotated the engine over twice. Two complete revolutions. Now grab the grenade pin the hydraulic tensioner, pull on it slowly. It should move with very little effort, if this is the case, you did it right. If the grenade pin doesnt want to come out and requires force, you didnt tighten the tensioner pulley enough. The idea behind the hydraulic autp-tensioner is this. As the timing belt wears and stretches, it takes up the slack by pushing the arm that the tensioner pulley is on UP, which puts more tension on the belt. So the idea is, you need to set the initial tension correctly or very close to correctly, or as the belt starts the wear you might run into trouble
    Last edited by Stewi; 11-04-2011 at 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    awesome! it all makes sense thanks stewi