The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car shakes when accelerating after lowered

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 59

Car shakes when accelerating after lowered

Good day,

I would like to know if you have any experience or suggestions to fix the shake when accelerating around 15-30mph, i have 2009 galant ralliart w/ 50k on the clock i dont have any problems with it before i lowered them on eibach pro kits, now almost all accelaration would give me all these vibrations/shake. I did search the forum but i dont see this problems with 9g.any tips would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance!

your first problem was that you went with the eibachs. Should have gotten the WORKs springs. i have an 08 ralliart lowered with no problems. take it back to the place you got the work done and have them doubl check everything.

9g Baby!

I called works, they said they stopped making them for the 9g galants that why i went with eibachs. Just went back today and have them checked everything.all bolts was tightened to its specs and they did wheel alignment and balancing just to make sure everything is correct.the problem still exist. I really wanted to get the works, i even asked workd if they even have the ones for the 4g, they said they also stopped making them.

I saw you car set up and i loved them that why i wanted to get the works, i have an 09 RA same color as yours. I hope there's a fix for my problem

Experienced TGC Member
    Check your axles. I had the same problem when I lowered my 8g and it turned out to be a bad axle. When you lower the car the car cambers in. So the angle of the axle also changes. If the axle was on its way that could be your problem.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

FirstWHIP9gen
    have u gotten a alignment after u dropped the car ... also were the bushings brand new

Axles are still in great conditions & just got them aligned & balanced for the 2nd time, i did search the internet and found out something about the change in angle of the axles. I'm planning to have the shop fabricate a spring spacers, the works spring specs are 1.38" drop F & 1.18" R . Eibachs are 1.4" F & 1.5" R, if i could get the Rear spacers with a .3" lift, i'll be very close with the works springs Specs. Then i'll go from there.

Update: installed .3" rear spring spacers. Now my fronts are 1.4"drop and 1.2" rear but the problem is still there. You could only feel the shakes when accelerating bet 15-20mph then it will go away. Is there any out there with the same problem with their 9g after lowering them? Or anybody found a solution?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by brent-ralliart08 View Post
    your first problem was that you went with the eibachs. Should have gotten the WORKs springs. i have an 08 ralliart lowered with no problems. take it back to the place you got the work done and have them doubl check everything.

whats the problem with eibachs? I've had them for over 4 years now and i dont have any problems....

I'd put money on it that the problem is most likely one of your axles
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

Axis not wear out evenly. You can swap the right and the left axis. It helps when worn. Balls inside the drive will begin to work in the other direction on working surfaces. However, I want to see. This occurs at high mileage (more than the 150,000 miles). As an option you can try.
    Turbo - it is a snail, but the bitch is very fast.

I also recommend you to check the back mounts of the engine. Vibration may be because of the hanging mounts.
    Turbo - it is a snail, but the bitch is very fast.

I know this is an old thread but I am having the same problem it is a 2011 35k on it just got an alignment and put in new axles changed rims and tires 3 diffrent sets and problem is still there the car is lowered 2"

Put the car up in the air and put the car in drive. See if the wheels are wobbly. Maybe bent hub.

The CV joints don't offer full movement when they're kinked so far which is what happens when you're lowered. Its in the geometry, it has nothing to do with worn out stuff. You have to put washers behind the hub to push the CV joints back together and the vibration should go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    The CV joints don't offer full movement when they're kinked so far which is what happens when you're lowered. Its in the geometry, it has nothing to do with worn out stuff. You have to put washers behind the hub to push the CV joints back together and the vibration should go away.
    wow 1 person in this entire thread knows what they are talking about.
    pretty sad that you get so much bad advice and the op went through so much unnecessary stuff to try and fix it.

Where should the washers go also by lowering the car wouldent the axles be pushed further into the cv cup and lowering it would change the working angle of the cv how would washers change the angle of the cv and wouldent washers just make the cv go even further into the cup.

Your axle can't bend, you have two CV joints. At normal ride height the axle sits horizontal. Our front suspension set up does not do the whole progressive camber thing so when you drop it the knuckle maintains vertical position but rides way up in the wheel well. This causes your axle to sit angled up above the horizonal and it stretches the CV joints out to capacity when you go lower then 1.5 inches down.

With the axle angled the CV joint has a permanent bend in it. What the bend does is put a higher angle in the top of the joint than the lower angle so the bearings have to race back and forth to soak up the angle change. We have a 3 ball design and their big/beef bearings so you can feel them swapping positions at speed.

The remedy is putting spacers behind the hub over the axle. This pushes the CV joints back together so those bearings can roll along the angled axis of that joint caused by the cockeyed axle instead of flying back and forth trying to soak up more space than they geometrically can. Thus the spacers eliminate the vibration...

Ok thanks for the info will try the spacer after work tomorrow

Installed washers no changes installed stock springs and still same problem

If you're back at normal ride height and still having the problem then you broke something when it was lowered. Try shaking the axles, you could've destroyed the CV joints just driving it around for the little while with it so low. Age is irrelevant when you put that much stress on them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast