The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What is Cyclone intake?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Posey

What is Cyclone intake?

Hey all I've seen these mentions searched and havnt found exactly what it is. Is it an aftermarket intake? Or is it a fancy name for a 2g stock intake. My question stems from the fact that I'm getting my 60mm TB on Monday 25$ good deal? He also has a cyclone intake for 60$ again is that a good deal? If it is I'd prolly be better off getting them together right? Now does the cyclone still require me to port it to match the TB. Does it require any other modifications to bolt onto my 95 4g64 galant? I'm getting it on Monday so I gots the weekend to figure it out. All help is appreciated.

It won't do you any good on a 2g style head. It is a dual runner intake from the JDM VR4. It matches up with 1g DSM head ports. To use it you'd have to port your head so much it'd ruin the flow characteristics. For 2g style heads Evo3 intake manifolds change where the torque map is a bit. I don't recall which direction though.

So yeah, skip the intake. $25 is fine for the TB if the electronics on it work fine.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Posey
    Well I ended up getting a 1g head head this saterday. So I contacted the guy I got TB from. Got the cyclone for 25 bux:). So if read some back and forths on it. So for now I'll be N/A. So I'm ok with it working. He told me just to hook it up to a vaccum. Which one it best?

He's wrong. I used to have one of those intakes and did a lot of research on it. To run it properly it needs the actuator tied in to the ECU or an RPM switch. It also needs the vacuum canister that came with it (under the intake manifold) to function. It is designed so it turns on at a certain RPM just like variable valve timing does. The intake works by changing intake runner lengths to optimize airflow speed. It closes the short runners at lower RPMs to increase air velocity which crams in more air at lower speeds. At higher rpms it opens up both runners to allow maximum flow.

That said, if you have a 2g head just run it with a 2g intake instead of trying to dick around with the 1g head and cyclone. The 2g head is a better design with faster velocities built into it stock. Plus you don't have to dick around with trying to get the extra runners working right.

If that wasn't enough info for you look up more details on a cyclone intake over on DSM Tuners.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

See I was wondering this same thing
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

how about some pictures of the head (intake port side) and of the Cyclone intake (entire part and pics of the flange that attaches it to the head)? This will help all of us see what your talking about a lot better

Quote Originally Posted by foxbrand View Post
    how about some pictures of the head (intake port side) and of the Cyclone intake (entire part and pics of the flange that attaches it to the head)? This will help all of us see what your talking about a lot better
    Seriously? You're asking him to go through all that trouble to save yourself the effort of doing a web search? Hit up Google. I've already mentioned the details are up on DSM Tuners. The OP could have done the same but at least he had a vested interest in the outcome. If you want to satisfy your own curiosity do some research.

Yes I am being a dick, no I won't apologize. Gaining knowledge takes effort.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 12-01-2011 at 11:01 PM