The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: EVO 8 swap in a 8g Galant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

EVO 8 swap in a 8g Galant

I went to the local Mitsu dealer and looked at the new Evo 8. I was thinking maybe i can do a swap!! The engine mounts all look the same as my 99 2.4. I think the only problem would be the Evo's hugh intake manifold.I talked to my buddy who is a DSM master and he said that its possible. And he said that the tranny looks like the RS 3G Eclipse!! If you havent payed attention to the engine go back and take a second look!! I just might take that chance to try this swap!! Oh yea you know like i know that the engine wont be hard to get in about 2 or 3 months from now cause someone will total theres trying to show off or racing a Mustang or a Camaro!!!

Senior TGC Member

Re: EVO 8 swap in a 8g Galant

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B19WHEELS)</div><div class='quotemain'>I went to the local Mitsu dealer and looked at the new Evo 8. I was thinking maybe i can do a swap!! The engine mounts all look the same as my 99 2.4. I think the only problem would be the Evo's hugh intake manifold.I talked to my buddy who is a DSM master and he said that its possible. And he said that the tranny looks like the RS 3G Eclipse!! If you havent payed attention to the engine Â*go back and take a second look!! I just might take that chance to try this swap!! Oh yea you know like i know that the engine wont be hard to get in about 2 or 3 months from now cause someone will total theres trying to show off or racing a Mustang or a Camaro!!!</div>

I think that's why one of the members here said the Evo was a hack job, engineered with whatever parts they had laying around.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Censee
    do 8g v6 have the same motor mounting spot as the i4 8g?????cuz that will give us v6 owners tht option also..

Re: EVO 8 swap in a 8g Galant

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B19WHEELS)</div><div class='quotemain'>I went to the local Mitsu dealer and looked at the new Evo 8. I was thinking maybe i can do a swap!! The engine mounts all look the same as my 99 2.4. I think the only problem would be the Evo's hugh intake manifold.I talked to my buddy who is a DSM master and he said that its possible. And he said that the tranny looks like the RS 3G Eclipse!! If you havent payed attention to the engine Â*go back and take a second look!! I just might take that chance to try this swap!! Oh yea you know like i know that the engine wont be hard to get in about 2 or 3 months from now cause someone will total theres trying to show off or racing a Mustang or a Camaro!!!</div>

I think that's why one of the members here said the Evo was a hack job, engineered with whatever parts they had laying around.</div>

Who said the EVO was a hack job? That's ridiculous, it is certainly not a hack job. The car is an Evo 7 with minor updates. It may be decontected (no AYC and no adjustable diff) but it is no hack job. Anyone who would say that doesn't really know anything at all about the car.

As far as the swap, talk to Clay at galantspeed.com. I know he had dropped the motor in and that was his last update. He's already done/working on the swap, so he may be able to give some pointers.

-Mohammad

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    The evo is certainly not a hack job, it is probably one of the fastest street cars out.. The EVO 8 swap is a swap that can happen, just finding a motor will be the problem.. I heard rumors that mitsu is talking over 7500 just for the motor, no tranny, but if its a 3g tranny that really wont be an issue..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

HiperSilver
    its awd and it cant be like the RS, it of course has different gear ratios and has upgraded shift forks, etc and all that shit . Id laugh if they put a RS trans in there.

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiperSilver)</div><div class='quotemain'>its awd and it cant be like the RS, it of course has different gear ratios and has upgraded shift forks, etc and all that shit . Id laugh if they put a RS trans in there.</div>

thats what im thinking

and if u really want to get the most out of the engine your going to need to convert your 8g to awd, because getting a front drive tranny isn't going to provide the traction your going to want. also, u need to use the right tranny that the evo uses because it is specially tuned for it. either way u will have more power but u can only take full advantage of it one way. just my opinion though, i don't know much about engines.

HiperSilver
    awd ownz j00

get some drag radials and youll hook up

I think if you do the swap that Level 10 should be able to hook that RS tranny up to with stand all the power.

Nick VR4
    The Evo 8 engine is designed for a six speed gearbox
    To get a 8 engine your looking at about $20k if not more plus modding etc

You don't need a six speed. The US EVO has a five speed.

-Mohammad

TGC Regular
    evo a hack job? didnt know those words could be used in a sentence togehter..
    - Atba

Nick VR4
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mochanges)</div><div class='quotemain'>You don't need a six speed. The US EVO has a five speed.

-Mohammad</div>

Ohhhh sorry UK Evo 8 has a 6 speed box

No big deal. I would rather have the 6 speed mysel, but I have read that the 5 speed works really well.

-Mohammad

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mochanges)</div><div class='quotemain'>No big deal. I would rather have the 6 speed mysel, but I have read that the 5 speed works really well.

-Mohammad</div>

Wouldnt using the us evo 5spd tranny loose power off the Evo motor since you are loosing the final gear?
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

your not "loosing a gear" they re-geared the tranny as a 5 speed thats all.
    Another fine post brought to you By:
    The Man™
    Search the boards first please!

HiperSilver
    Level Ten is shit, contact TRE or Roadmaster. i have heard millllllllllioooons of problems with level ten. Guy of mine broke 3 trans from level ten, cracked a gear literally and his torque converter was purple form all the heat. Saw pics, it wasnt pretty, and that was from level ten, no thank you.

HiperSilver
    actually you could use the EVO8 tranny on the 8g, if the mounting points at the same for the engine and everything, then go for it. The Bettle 6 speed uses the Audi Quattro (AWD) tranny and its FWD. Your not gonna lose any power, ull gain it from it being fwd, just dont use the rest of the awd hardware, itll be custom but hey

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiperSilver)</div><div class='quotemain'>actually you could use the EVO8 tranny on the 8g, if the mounting points at the same for the engine and everything, then go for it. The Bettle 6 speed uses the Audi Quattro (AWD) tranny and its FWD. Your not gonna lose any power, ull gain it from it being fwd, just dont use the rest of the awd hardware, itll be custom but hey</div>

Thats a pretty good idea, i didnt realize that Bettle used the Audi AWD tranny...

cooterkisser
    the motor mounts are the same as the 8g (4g64) but since you have an auto, the ecu is the most pain in the ass for you guys like on of the previous members said check out www.galantspeed.com and go check out Clays install.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast