The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Custom short shifter

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Posey

Custom short shifter

Soninhad a thought today. What would be the difference between say a B&W short shifter and cutting down the stock shifter and rethreading it for a shifter. Bushings is the only thing I can think of.

Posey
    No input guys.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Short shifters make the shifts shorter in actual distance from each other, it isn't just about the physical length of the shifter, lol don't know if I make myself clear, example (random measurements) oem shifter from 1st to 2nd distance is about 4 or 5 inches, with a short shifter distance goes down to like 2 or 3 inches.

4g64T 5spd

the actual pivot point on a short shifter is higher up on a short shifter (making the lever below the pivot travel further) as compared to stock... this changes the throw angle of the lever thus shortening the throw. simply shortening the lever will not change the angle required to shift, it will just make the lever shorter.

The movement from one gear to another is called "throw". A short shifter shortens the throw as you described omega.

If you actually wanted to shorten the the height pf the shifter, I see no problem as long as you have the thread to tighten it.

Posey
    Thank u for clearing all that up for me.