The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Speaker/Amp trouble

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Speaker/Amp trouble

I have an amp/subwoofer combo and while listening to music (low volume/bass) I start to hear what sounds like someone clicked on a mic and then just a buzzing noise. Thinking it was two wires touching I disconnected the speakers and checked them.

Everything seems fine, I plug everything back in and the buzzing does not stop. I start smelling an electrical burn and I'm unsure if it's the subwoofer or the amplifier going bad.

Anyone familiar with what I'm describing? It's a $400 system and I'd like to replace either the subwoofer or burnt out amp components. Thanks guys!

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

It sounds like interference. I can hear the same thing when I turn on my HIDs
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post
    It sounds like interference. I can hear the same thing when I turn on my HIDs
    ehhh. I know an electrical burn when I smell it. Somethings frying and if it's the amp I'd like to fix it before it's breaks something else lol.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

If there is a smell, do not connect until you are certain that all wires are OK and not grounding somehow. Make sure your power line fuse doesn't exceed the fuse rating on you amp (i.e two 25A fuses, have a 50A main fuse). You may be experiencing feedback for the power line if your RCA wire was ran alongside it. You always want to run, your main power on one side of the car and all signal whether its speaker wires or RCA on the opposite side.

My bad, I didn't see the burning smell part.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

The sub and amp is a combo thing where the amp sits inside the box. All wires except power are unplugged and it still makes a buzzing sound from the sub. idk, I was hoping an audio expert would know which it sounds like =P

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Vestige
    What wattage is your amplifier? And what gauge wires & fuse sizes are you using? As it may be the wire connections starting to fail from to much current draw.

If you've checked out all the connections, its not likely to be a loose wire.

As you say its a sub amp combo. So an active enclose where it just has power and RCA audio in? If the smell is coming from inside it, it's possible it could be a faulty product.

Kieth those are powered subs and if after unplugging signal from it you still have "noise" then I would say its a defective unit.

Banned
    sub+amp=wigger.....

were u playing to much lil wayne?

nope, I listen to:

A day to remember
    3 oh 3
    linkin park
    breaking benjamin
    basshunter
    hollywood undead

Whole bunch of shit

Want to pull up anything else you know nothing about?

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

glad hes banned how disrespectful. did you ever get your problem fixed? maybe you can call the company up and ask them a few questions about the unit