The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Piston rings

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Posey

Piston rings

So I havnt don't the wet dry test yet but I noticed it makes a smoke screen when I drop it and go above 4 grand. That's gotta be my rings right. Anyone ever done this. is there and easy way to do it where I don't have to pull the motor.

compression has very little to do with burning oil. there are 5 rings on a piston. 2 compression and 3 oil rings. If the engine puts out good compression 190psi and above then most likely the oil rings are good too. If for some reason the oil rings went bad, it would still hold compression, but it will burn oil. Get it.

This is a DSM engine, it burns oil by default. You have bad valve seals.

On your question. You can pull the head and the oil pan and remove the pistons and then reinstall them w/o a problem. And while you there clean the pistons very good; you'll see where the blow by compression passed thtu the rings. Get a $20 Harbour Freight honing tool and hone the cylinder walls with some 10w40 oil. Gap the rings and install them on the piston. Again, Harbor Freight $8 ring compressor will help you get the pistons in the block. Of course you'll need a set of new rod bearings (pre 97 style bearings). New head gasket before the head goes in with new valve seals and at least you need to clean the burnt up deposits on the valve seats.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I wrote you in another topic. You need to measure the compression in the cylinders. Further, it is necessary pour 2-3 sm3 oil, inside of each cylinder. And again measure the compression. If the compression level has risen more than 0.2 MPa (29psi), rings must be replaced. The normal value for the compression of 1.2 Mpa (174psi)
    Turbo - it is a snail, but the bitch is very fast.

Ok you got the compression testing procedure, but 174psi is not the normal cmpressin. This is the service limit.

As per galant manual:

2.0L (VIN Y) ............ 170-225 psi
    VinY means its a non turbo Sohc

EDIT:
    2.4L (VIN G) ..................... 192 psi
    Last edited by mko; 11-15-2011 at 10:08 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Yes, I wanted to say, not below this value.

Why pour the oil into the cylinders? I will explain. The oil is distributed on the perimeter of the ring and close the gap. Compression will increase. If the gap in the rings of the normal, the compression will not rise. Or will increase very little 5-7 psi.

Posey
    Ok cool I was under the impression that if my rings were bad id have to pull the motor out and I don't have a hoist and stuff...pull oil pan off and pull heads to remove the pistons that I can do. I know there's more to it than that did anyone here do a write up for that? But I'll do a compression test sometime this week when I have the chance.. And I'll keep u guys informed on the out come nthe plan is to have the car ready for complete turbo setup by dec. And ready to start racing after the first of the year.