The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2003 Galant Negative Battery Cable

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

2003 Galant Negative Battery Cable

Hey guys, the negative battery cable on my 2003 Galant is extremely corroded and I would like to replace it. I've done some searching online for a replacement cable but it seems all I can find are generic battery cables - no direct fits. Has anyone done this before? If so what cable did you use?

Also it what it the other end connected to? The middle of the cable is connected to what I think is a body ground point but the cable continues to run in a bundle of wires inside a plastic case. Any insight on that?

Thanks in advance.

Is the cable itself corroded (has the corrosion gone into the wire shield? If it's just the terminal end, some people just take the chance of cutting the terminal end off, and connecting a new one. I don't advise this, but I've seen some people doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    Is the cable itself corroded (has the corrosion gone into the wire shield? If it's just the terminal end, some people just take the chance of cutting the terminal end off, and connecting a new one. I don't advise this, but I've seen some people doing this.
    I had this same issue with my car. Idk if all other models are the same but my 03 has the negative connected to the chassis then runs down on one end and the other end connected to the battery. I simply cut the whole end where the negative connects to the chassis and I bought a new negative cable from autozone and I rebolted it to the same end of the chassis then connected it to the battery... Hope I am explaining this correctly. I can send a pic on your email idk how to post pics on threads... I suck lol!!! I've had my car this way for two years and no problems at all
    Last edited by drm3613; 11-17-2011 at 11:43 PM

I had the same problem, I had to make a new ground cable for my car using parts from an auto parts store, it's fairly easy, make a few cuts, crimp a few connects, done

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    the ground from battery screws to chassis by the battery and runs all the way down to transmission

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant View Post
    the ground from battery screws to chassis by the battery and runs all the way down to transmission
    Yea what he said

For a direct fit try tbe salvage yards, but if you are savy with wiring car audio then just use 4 awg wire and make your own.

It happens to me just the other when it was snowing in New York. My battery was dead, as I was changing it, it was so cold and my terminal so rusty that it broke. I replace both the negative and positive with this one from the two ebay links...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moroso-74175...#ht_2293wt_905

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEKA-01056-B...#ht_1230wt_931

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the responses. The entire cable seems to be corroded. I may try the junkyard first - I saw an 8th gen there last time I was there but that was a while ago so it's prob gone by now. Otherwise I guess I'll be making my own from the generic kits. It looks like the easiest route is to cut it right before the chassis ground point and leave the part going to the transmission then just use the generic cable to go from the ground point back to the battery. The generic cables I have seen have the battery terminal on one end then like a round terminal on the other that I can just bolt right to the factory chassis ground without any mods.
    Last edited by 71cutty455; 11-19-2011 at 05:51 PM

i will also say that mitsu dealers online sell kits for the lancer but obviously its over prices as hell. but its prob oem, check jy;s see if the cable is available on mitsu websites and see how much it is then try rockauto and see if they have a kit or something and if not get some heavy duty wire from somewhere at the jy look for like mitsu fuso trucks terminals.

Little late to the party but did your mod work? My son's car has the same problem and was looking to do same thing... Thanks