The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Omg why

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Omg why

Just took my car on a trip to Moscow to see some friends. The motor is a 60k mile motor at this point. I have babied it. I have ran Valvoline full synthetic 5w/30 in the winter 10w/30 in the summers, always with energy release. I broke the motor in properly when I put it in with 30k miles. The car is a quart low now, it was a 700mile trip. It was full last oil change 2000 miles ago, and now it's just below the low mark. No oil in the water from what I can see, no oil on the ground, no smoke. Blown headgasket? I have never redlined it, the highest I have ever shifted is 5500. What to check/look for? I don't wanna keep dumping oil in it. please help
    Last edited by rockingout92; 11-21-2011 at 06:01 PM

Did u cheked the plug cap seals? i got that problem sometime ago....i was lossing oil from this seals.

yeah... I just replaced the spark plugs and didn't notice anything around the valve cover, and like I said nothing is on the ground. That's what you're talking about right? spark plugs?

Look on the plugs, and the tubes and look for oil. It's possible that your tube seals are gone.

Look at the exhaust when you get the chance too. That might help.

I have the same issue of disappearing oil.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

Spend metering compression. If compression below 170PSI, your rings died. Engine smoke blue smoke?
    Turbo - it is a snail, but the bitch is very fast.

DTP, thanks, i will check tomorrow. Last motor I had did the exact same thing. I'm about ready to ditch my DSM and buy a new car this is bull.

Compression is about 185psi across the board i think last time I checked a month ago. I'll check again. No blue smoke. No smoke at all

Moscow? Is that Moscow Idaho? Just curious.
    The tube seals they are talking about are the rubber gasket that seal the tube that your spark plugs sit down into against oil leaks. When the tube seals leak the area the spark plug sits down into can fill up with oil. You generally only find this out from low oil levels or when your engine starts running rough from one of the spark plugs miss firing due to shorting out from the oil in the tube. I'd just drive the heck out of it as long as she is running good but periodicaly check you oil. Its not a huge issue to be down a quart. My car is peputually down about half a quart and I just let it go until the next oil change (she had 270K miles on her now). As long as she is running good, your not finding oil in the antifreeze or antifreeze in the oil (that would be a head gasket), you are not trailing clouds of blue or black smoke and your not leaving puddles of oil everywhere you park, drive and enjoy your car. Monitor your oil consumption to see if you really have a problem. No need to replace your 7g yet.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

There ya go ^!

Don't give up, just improve it :)

The seals aren't that big of a deal.

-Andrew

Your engine spends 100% of its time in vacuum. It means that 99% of the time the PCV valve is open sucking the crank case vapors out to the intake manifold. And will tell you for a fact that our PCV valves are 1) not big enough considering the engine size and 2) faulty and allow more contaminates to enter the crank case.

What Im trying to say is that broken down oil is much easier to slip between ring, valve guide and seal clearances than fresh oil.

I saw a video by Jacks Transmissions about oil getting broken down very quickly. They solved the problem by adding a second PCV valve from the VC to the IM.

And I'd just hollow out the stock PCV valve and just use a one way (check) valve instead thru a catch can. You'd see how much oil would have entered the intake manifold, but its on the bottom of the catch can instead.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Hmmm, should I give this a shot?

Got any examples?

-Andrew

I think Streetfire.net is hacked. The video was on there.

Build Thread

Here it is:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/PCV-...for_684587.htm

Dont mind the explanation about the turbo stuff. Pay attention to the 5/16 extra hose to the IM

Build Thread

Yep, Moscow Idaho. I live about 300 miles south of that though.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, and yeah I'm just gonna keep driving her good. No reason to freak out. I'm not seeing any oil in the tubes at all btw. Thanks mko I will check into this and see if it's something I can pull off haha