The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help in TIRE/RIM SIZE

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Help in TIRE/RIM SIZE

So, I am currently running 17 inch wheels rapped around 215-50-17 on my 03 GTZ (I thought that was a good size based on the fact that the 3G eclipse GT came with those from factory). Since I am at stock height, I have been very happy about the way the tires fill the fender gap. 215/50/17's have an overall diameter of 25.5'.

Now I am looking to upgrade to 18 inch wheels. I know the most ideal size in 18's is 225-40-18, but I have found out the overall diameter for those is 25.1'; more or less what the 225-45-17's are at 25' diameter. I have noticed these 225-45-17 on a car with stock height make the fender gap look HUGE......the car looks like a 4X4 vehicle. I have done some research on other alternative sizes; and I found the 235-35-18 have an overall diameter of 25.6'.....very close to what I have know........the question is, has anyone here tried to run this size on their car? and if so, have you noticed any rubbing (against the outer fender edge or inner suspension components) on any circumstance? fender roll needed?......that is on stock height....

I also wanted to ask if any fender roll is required to install the EVO X 18 inch BBS wheels.....and if anyone knows who might be selling a set.

All your input will be appreciated greatly.

2003 MITSUBISHI GALANT GTZ

You will need to roll the rear fenders in order to the run the BBS. You might also have to trim the flare in the rear depending on how you have it mounted. I imagine you're going to stay on stock suspension, so you might get some rubbing in the front on the strut depending on the width of the tire and you might also get rubbbing in the front wheel well, again, depending on tires size. The former can be solved by switching to coils or getting narrower tires, the later can be easily fixed with some TLC with BFH. As for tires, I'd go with a 225/40/18 and call it good.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    You will need to roll the rear fenders in order to the run the BBS. You might also have to trim the flare in the rear depending on how you have it mounted. I imagine you're going to stay on stock suspension, so you might get some rubbing in the front on the strut depending on the width of the tire and you might also get rubbbing in the front wheel well, again, depending on tires size. The former can be solved by switching to coils or getting narrower tires, the later can be easily fixed with some TLC with BFH. As for tires, I'd go with a 225/40/18 and call it good.
    thanks you the info. It looks like in order to run the BBS there is a lot of mod required....alot of rubbing everywhere.......is that what 9G did to his car??

what if I buy other rims (not BBS) in 18's........will the 235-35-18 rub also??

FYI, the stock diameter for the 8G USDM is < 25".

195/60r15 (24.21 ) for the i4 and 205/55r16 (24.87) for the v6.

... so what you have now is too big if you want to stay within the recommended ~3% of stock in rolling circumference.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    FYI, the stock diameter for the 8G USDM is < 25".

195/60r15 (24.21 ) for the i4 and 205/55r16 (24.87) for the v6.

... so what you have now is too big if you want to stay within the recommended ~3% of stock in rolling circumference.
    I know what I am using right now is about 0.5' larger diameter.....but it actually fills the fender gap nicely.....the stock size looks to small, and the gap is huge too. I just want a little wider tire on 18 inch......my other choice would be to get 215-45-18 which will give me exactly the same height.....but still same width.....

if you plus size the wheel, the gap will appear larger since the tire will be shorter... the larger ratio of gap to tire will make the gap appear larger...

honestly if you want to plus size and NOT look like a 4x4, you need to lower, even mildly.

I've seen pics of your car, to me my 225/40/18"s don't look much smaller overall than your 215/50/17's, it may not look so bad at all if you went with the smaller tire to minimize the rubbing, especially since you have fender flares, IMO.
    Here's a pic (I don't mean to pic whore):

Here's yours:

Mine would look its best with some drop I must admit, right now I'm stock height.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

this is how it looks currently on stock height......as you guys can see, the gap isn't bad at all (215-50-17).......I would like to get same look with 18's

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    I've seen pics of your car, to me my 225/40/18"s don't look much smaller overall than your 215/50/17's, it may not look so bad at all if you went with the smaller tire to minimize the rubbing, especially since you have fender flares, IMO.
    Here's a pic (I don't mean to pic whore):

Here's yours:

Mine would look its best with some drop I must admit, right now I'm stock height.
    Nice!! thanks for the pic of your car....I think i posted my pic the same time you did....

Do you rub at all with those? even with people seated in the back seat

this is the pic of my brother's car next to mine. He is running 225-45-17 (25' tire diameter) and as you can see....the fender gap is huge!.....even more than my GTZ with stock 16' wheels. So, If I get the 225-40-18 (25.1' tire diameter) it basically would look like that......which is not what I'd like to achieve......that's why after seeing my brother's I decided to go 215-50-17

Quote Originally Posted by dmdvzla View Post
    Nice!! thanks for the pic of your car....I think i posted my pic the same time you did....

Do you rub at all with those? even with people seated in the back seat
    I rub with people in the back and whenever I hit certain dips too hard, I have a 19mm spacer though to keep the backside from hitting on those +51mm offset 18 x 8" wheels. And yeah it looks like we posted at the same time lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk fam!

-Greg

GTZ galants come slightly lower with different springs than than 4cyl and v6 galants rite? So wouldnt that explain the huge difference between you and your brothers galants?...idk

Quote Originally Posted by G-code88 View Post
    GTZ galants come slightly lower with different springs than than 4cyl and v6 galants rite? So wouldnt that explain the huge difference between you and your brothers galants?...idk
    i remember reading that GTZ springs are slightly lower than DE/ES/LS springs, so yeah that might explain it, good suggestion dawg

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    I rub with people in the back and whenever I hit certain dips too hard, I have a 19mm spacer though to keep the backside from hitting on those +51mm offset 18 x 8" wheels. And yeah it looks like we posted at the same time lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk fam!
    So, if I get a 18X8 with +40 mm offset.....maybe I will not need those spacers and it will not rub right?

Quote Originally Posted by dmdvzla View Post
    So, if I get a 18X8 with +40 mm offset.....maybe I will not need those spacers and it will not rub right?
    That seems right, but I got a lot of advice about the offsets and stuff from the wheel gurus around here, they can give you more of a definitive answer than I can.

-Greg

Yes GTZ sits lower. If you go 18's and don't wanna rub, roll your fenders. Greg that's what you need man. If I can roll 225/35/20's (26.2 overall) with S-tech springs and a fender roll, then you can run 18's on 40 series tires.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Yes GTZ sits lower. If you go 18's and don't wanna rub, roll your fenders. Greg that's what you need man. If I can roll 225/35/20's (26.2 overall) with S-tech springs and a fender roll, then you can run 18's on 40 series tires.
    I just been lazy, but yeah rolling the fenders needs to get done pronto!

-Greg

Do it up man, I was lucky enough to borrow my friends tool and lift LOL!