The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Automatic transmission problem

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3
    armask

Automatic transmission problem

My Galant won't move an inch, not foward, not backwards. This is my first 7g and automatic gearbox so i'm quite yellow with these things.

What I should check?

And where's the TCU located?

The major weakness of the 7g is the auto trans. They all fail sooner or later. I have had them die as early as 130K and last as long as 200K. Forget about the TCU. It is highly unlikely it has anything to do with your problems. Check your trans fluid. Is the level correct? if not top it off and see if it will move. What does the fluid look like? Does it have a burnt smell? If it is extemely dark or burnt smelling you probably overheated something in there. Regardless what you find in the trans fluid the most likely result is the trans is dead and a rebuild is the only thing that will bring it back to life. The best fix is to do a five speed swap. It is well documented on this site (look under tutorials for 7g. Otherwise you will have to rebuild your current trans. Shop around for prices and warranty on a complete rebuild with new torque converter. Get the price if you remove and install it and the price if the trans shop does removing and install. Get the price in writing before allowing anyone to touch your car. Don't fall for free towing so they can check your car out until you have their price and warranty for a complete rebuild and new toprque converter (in writting). They just want to get the car in the garage and the trans pulled out so you are stuck. If you don't have a written estimate then the price increases dramatically. The reason for an estimate on a complete rebuild and new torque converter is that should be absolute highest price you have to deal with no matter what they find. End result is the price could actually be less but should never be more. The TCU is located under the center console but again, there ain't much you are going to find there.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

I've also had a problem with my trans. At random times during take off it wouldn't shift into the next gear, or something of that nature...sure does suck getting on the highway and not being able to go past 30mph!

Well a friend of mine recommended Trans X, I think it's just like an additive. It worked awesome and the trans worked well...as well as 7g's work. I say try something like that before calling it dead. I also changed the fluid a little while after, and remember to use fluid straight from Mitsubishi. These transmissions don't work well with after market fluids.