The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Suspension arms problems/ ideas

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Icon8 Suspension arms problems/ ideas

Hi,
    I've been looking for some topic in the forum about this issue which I will tell and of which I have not found solution yet.

The problem is this: for almost 2 years I have been dealing with a major dilemma and problem with my front suspension. To be more accurate with an arm type suspension in particular.... the problem

this one to be exact:

is the one that goes along with the tensioner arm.....
    like this (is not a good image but u can undersatnd it ):

The problem is that about 5 times the stump (or pear) is dislocated or sometimes completely went out of his place, Sometimes instead of the stump out, the weight exerted on the arm to the bolt completely lost its thread, which caused the bolt out, this maked a lot of damage to my suspension, rim and sometimes the entire structure of the fender, as always happened when the car was moving, which is very dangerous and I spend about 1000 dollars in these 5 times that the car got damaged.
    I've been watching how the suspension works on the G7 and have noticed that all the weight of the vehicle is concentrated in this arm, particularly in this stump, which always stretched, As I said the force is such that forces the stump out of his position.
    This problem does not occur in the G8 and beyond cos the suspension tray is different (tension arm suspension arm into one).

So...my question is this: has anyone ever thought about this? anyone ever where able to modify or replace this arm for a different arm or for other arm from other kind of car other vehicle? or maybe anyone ever been able to modify the entire suspension? any suggestion or idea is welcome.

thks for your attention
    Last edited by Naoxol; 11-24-2011 at 09:30 PM

Experienced TGC Member
    Here in america its a recall. Its crazy youve had this happen to you 5 times. Have you used the same brand each time?

Well figure this, for example if it happened to you for the first time at 100,000km and then at 110k, then 120k, then 130k so on and so forth... Would you consider buying a new OEM part and get another 100,000km from it?

Well actually im tyred of just buy another arm and replace it, cos i tryed on 3 difrent brands.... that is why im looking for an idea to modify the entire suspension system...... i just got some ideas from some ppl here. but it never hurts to listen to other ideas.

Get a factory replacement from Mitsubishi.

You could try getting the front suspension from an 8th gen car to fit but it'd take some serious fabrication skills. You could also try the front from a 1st generation Eclipse (90-94). If you have to ask for details on how to do the suspension conversion you are likely not capable of doing it.

Really though, just buy a good factory part and be done with it.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    My post + ^^^ = nuff said.

Yep very common problem on all 8G aswell (except USDM version) which has been the subject of Mitsi recall. Main problem being the ingress of water and the pin seizing and snapping. Genuine Mitsi replacements are the only answer - after markets are known to fail quickly. Have often thought about using USDM set up, but like said above, needs a lot of fabrication as the top mounts are different and the inner wings (fenders) are also completely different. Best bet as said is just to fit new Mitsi arms. Unless of course you have loads of time, money and expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post

You could try getting the front suspension from an 8th gen car to fit but it'd take some serious fabrication skills. You could also try the front from a 1st generation Eclipse (90-94). If you have to ask for details on how to do the suspension conversion you are likely not capable of doing it.

Really though, just buy a good factory part and be done with it.
    thanks for the information on these vehicles, I already review the suspension of the G8 and I find it very difficult to adapt because the chassis of the g8 is slightly different from the G7 and this changes the relationship of the tensioning arms pocision. I will review and compare the if they have similarities in the suspension of the Eclipse....

Yeah "The Vee" ...well i got time, experience, and my own vehicle workshop...well about the money im not sure but im able to even manufacture the pieces by myself , so im pretty sure that i can do it myself just im looking for ideas or compare the works of other ppl (if someone have tryed or maked this ).

So I'm still open to ideas and opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Naoxol View Post
    Yeah "The Vee" ...well i got time, experience, and my own vehicle workshop...well about the money im not sure but im able to even manufacture the pieces by myself , so im pretty sure that i can do it myself just im looking for ideas or compare the works of other ppl (if someone have tryed or maked this ).

So I'm still open to ideas and opinions
    Would be really interested to see if you do manage it, nothing is impossible of course. Would still like the USDM set up on mine, but really don't have the facility to do such a large undertaking - Good luck with this if you do go for it - keep us posted.

If I understand the problem correctly, the bolt that secures the lower shock mount to the lateral lower arm (the front suspension part shown in the picture) breaks. Is this correct? I have never heard of this happen.
    1. Are the bolts just not the correct strength? Try using OEM bolts and see what happens.
    2. Is the lateral lower arm of the USDM 7g different from the 7g that are found in the rest of the world? If not then it seems like the solution is to just order the 7g USDM from one of the US suppliers.
    It just seems crazy to have had this kind of problem happen more than once.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

This also happened to me. my front left lower lateral arm went off and damaged my fender.
    Relax...