The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: timing belt, whats good to get in a kit?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

timing belt, whats good to get in a kit?

Time to do the timing belt on my 4cyl. galant.
    Im wondering what all should be done, water pump?, tensioner?, pulleys?, etc.

I know that I can just change the belt but while I have it pulled apart what should be thrown at it?

Also, are there any recomended brands I should stay with? or away from? all generaly the same?
    Goodyear/Dayco/Gates/AC Delco/etc.

Any input is great, Thx.
    Last edited by Ventolin5; 11-27-2011 at 07:47 PM

Experienced TGC Member
    Unless you absolutely know what you're doing, take it to a shop and let them do it. get the timing wrong and oooooopsy
    -Chris

I am sure that I can handle it, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

You don't buy kits, that's ebay shit.

Gates is very reputable brand.

Short List:

Timing Belt
    Balance Shaft Belt
    Water Pump
    Timing Belt Tensioner
    3 Pulleys

There are multiple tutorials for most of these and are lengthy but not overly difficult.

The last time I did my timing belt, I did it with an eBay kit and it's holding out fine so far - I bought it from the Small Car Parts Store. They are located in VA and I have bought other car kits also, and they are very well equipped with good brands and kits and prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timing-Belt-...item27b24f57f9

just bought a kit today...if i had time i would of bought it online and saved a couple but need to fix due to work and the 8g is my daily.....I believe "Gates" brand is close to OEM only store in my area carried was Oriely's aka Kragen... i spent 156.99 a kit which contains timing belt, blance shaft, timing belt tensioner, balance shaft tensioner, and idler pully..... i also bought the other two belts for alternator and powersteering which it all cost roughly 210.00 after tax...... For timing i suggest to buy the good stuff and the other two you can buy what ever.. i learned the hard way.. the cheap belts only lasted 70,000 or less before it broke...
    wise up or stand down

I replace waterpump ,cam, crank, oil pump and bs seals leaking or not.

Great, thanks for the help guys.
    And it seems that Kits are not just on ebay.
    I found a Goodyear kit, but I am gonna try for gates parts, as recommended. I want reputable brands more than anything as this is not something that you want to crap out unexpectedly.