The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Transmission problems?

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Transmission problems?

Ok I have multiple issues that just make my car different to drive but I can live with them lol. When accelerating lightly/normally my car will sometimes shift hard or long shift, where it will over rev a bit then shift into gear. It will get all the way into 3rd by 25 mph. (Is that normal?) If I heavily accelerate it will shift smooth as butter and work like it should work, however it feels like it never fully disengages. When I let off the pedal my car will slow as if I am lightly braking. Dropping it into neutral I can feel the slowing feel go away. Also when going down a hill it will sometimes upshift (go from OD to 3rd) I know that is a lot but any tips would help.

well it sounds similar to a problem i had with my old automatic before i went 5 spd...i need to ask what color is the tranny fluid?

I can't coment on yu accelerating issues as I have never paid attention to what happens when I slowly drive thru the gears but the slowing down issue you describe sound normal. If you let off the gas in gear the engine becones a "drag" on the car's speed and it slows down. Shifting into neutral disengages the engine from the trans and so you are not fighting against the drag the engine would provide if you left it in gear. It is similar to shifting from D to 1 or 2 when going down a hill. The engine acts as a brake to your speed so you don't have to be on your brakes all the time. The obvious first question: is your trans fluid level where it needs to be? Next, how many miles on the trans and when/what has been done to service the transmission. Seems like every 60K miles the filter and fluid should be replaced. I am not a big fan of flushing these trans as the one time I did it the tran died within weeks (car did have 200K mile on it and had minor trans problems). Be sure to use the proper trans fluid. Folks here recommend using OEM fluid from the dealer. I use Quaker State type Mercon auto trans fluid as my closest dealer is 5 hours away.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

It has about 170k on it as far as i know and it was flushed recently due to an engine swap. No more than 15k on this fluid. Oil change place verified fluid levels so its not low. This is my first import and the slowing just seems extreme compaired to domestics I have driven. It will slow down going down a hill if i don't keep my foot on the gas. Which is when it will upshift just coasting the hill , giving it some gas usually prevents it but do I really need to give it gas to go down hill??

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    our cars have a fuzzy logic shift system which learns your habits over time but i really think the tranny is on the way out. due to an insufficient cooling system and just a weak design they fail all the time
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service