The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ECU Question....I think

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

ECU Question....I think

I have been toying with the idea of calling it quits on my current G and look for another. But I like the idea that my 96 has no speed governor (fuel cut) on it. If I was to get say a 95, I believe they have a limiter on them. Is that limiter in the ecu? Would I just be able to swap my 96 ecu with the one in the 95 and bam! have no limiter? I or is it a little more involved than that...I really dont remember at all.

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

yeah the limiter is bypassed by removing two resistors on the ecu's circuit board.

And no 95 and 96 ECU are very similar and yet different. Youd be better off removing the engine harness along with the ECU. Its very easy. It shouldnt take more than 2hrs to remove and reinstall.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You can rev to the moon on all 96-98's ? Dont suppose you have a pic or diagram of the 2 resistors?

^^^I dont mean a rev limiter I mean the speed limiter...once you hit say 110 I think it is, some of the years have a built in fuel cut off. My 96 does not have that and I just wanted to know how to get rid of that on any other year. After re-reading your post...I am assuming you agree and are suggesting it will be easier to remove the resistors!? LOL my coffee hasn't kicked in yet...think I'm a little slow right now

I don't want to screw up your post but we are talking 2 different limits. I will never hit 110 on dirt track but a few hundred more r's would be nice at times. He's right it if going to a 94-95 it doesn't take long to swap harness and ecu but you still have to install a crank sensor or rewire crank pickup and use the the 7ga dizzy.

Yeah we are talkin two different limiters. I can rev (5 speed) all the way to redline if I wanted no problem. I can also hit the speedo's 140 MPH if I had 300 miles of straight road lol. But In the earlier and supposedly later year galants, there is a SPEED limiter built into the ecu. So what happens is when you hit a certain speed (110 I think) the fuel cuts off to slow you down. You can have your foot to the floor and nothing will happen until the speed drops below a certain point. Thats what I want to know how to remove or bypass. Your issue with the rev limiter is a whole nother issue

should be very similar for the galant

http://www.dsm.org/how-tos/speedlimiter.htm

Build Thread

Thanks MKO...that doesnt look that bad. I think removing the resistor would be easier than replacing the entire harness. But that makes me wonder, if its that simple, why can't I just swap the ecu to a 96 that is already built without the limiter to begin with? Explain to me why would changing the harness be any different than just swapping the ecu

Experienced TGC Member
    I hit 135 when my car was bone stock and its a 97...

Weren't the 94 and 95 OBD 1 or OBD 1.5 (although they had an OBD2 plug on them) and the 96-98 OBD2 (with an OBD2 plug)?
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

you can swap ur ecu to any 96 and up galant, but you cannot swap it to 94-95 galant

Build Thread

got ya....never thought about that. I forgot about the 95 being either OBD 1.5 or 1...that thought never crossed my mind.