The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: E-manage nightmare.

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

E-manage nightmare.

Got the car back from the exhaust shop and finally got to start tweaking the E-manage.

FUCK THAT BS!

I first started to tweak the idle. The car is running good but it has a slight stumble at idle. The AFR's bounce around 16.5~17.5 and once in a while it'll max out the wideband. Also, when you push the clutch in, the car dips all the way to almost below 500 RPM and blips back up to 900 and the wideband reads ---. Sometimes it dips so far down that the car actually stalls and dies. When you let off the throttle without pushing the clutch in, it goes all the way to 10.1:1 AFR.

I first started to adjust by 1% increments, seeing no change, I went and tried to drive it rich. So I went up to 25 on the airflow adjustment map on a few cells and saw the AFR go SLIGHTLY rich but then go LEAN again. We tried different amounts we were adjusting by 10% increments at one point and go all the way to 50% saw no change whatsoever in the AFR's. Still jumped around way too much.

So we decided to try and tune partial throttle. The AFR's jumped around so much that there was no way I was going to be able to watch it and adjust accordingly. even with the map trace it was difficult.

We called it a night after that. I called SPD_FRK and discussed my options with his conversion harnesses and an EVO ECU. I just downloaded ECUFlash to my laptop and going to try and get a tactrix 2.0. I am throwing in the towel for the E-manage before I blow the car up.

I got her parked in the garage for now. I'd hate to leave her in there but I refuse to drive her everyday knowing the tune is fucked (Well, technically theres no tune).

I think whats happening is that as the E-manage is making adjustments, the stock ECU is trying to re-configure and compensate. They're constantly fighting each other which is making the car do stupid things. This explains why the adjustment on the maps are only there for a few seconds before they go back to the same value as before.

All I know is I got a huge headache and I am FED UP with this E-manage shit. I guess the only answer is to cough up the dough for the EVO ECU set-up and get the car on a proper tuning solution.

If theres any info that anyone wants to share about the E-manage it would be greatly appreciated.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Just curious, did you have any idle issues before the turbo installation?

JIgz, look for a 3G GS ecu, they are the same as the evo 8s and much cheaper, I was able to get mine for 75 bucks. I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the emanage :(
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    I think whats happening is that as the E-manage is making adjustments, the stock ECU is trying to re-configure and compensate. They're constantly fighting each other which is making the car do stupid things. .
    This part is funny lol. Maybe E-manage it not connected properly or try to using Apexi S-AFC ( if possible ) maybe ur luck will change.
    anyway, which u best luck

get the eclipse ecu like Greddy said... i dont know why people say to get the evo ecu when your going to change the rom anyways. 3g ecu's are a lot cheaper and pretty much the same thing and the evo ecu.

sorry about your problems with the emanage... i tried the safc-2 and the emanage untimate with fustrating results like you mentioned. ecuflash and evoscan are hands down the way to go for the 4g6X
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

For the $75 greddy paid, I'd say the GS ECU is worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    I think whats happening is that as the E-manage is making adjustments, the stock ECU is trying to re-configure and compensate. They're constantly fighting each other which is making the car do stupid things. This explains why the adjustment on the maps are only there for a few seconds before they go back to the same value as before.

This is exactly what is happening. Once you start using ecuflash and you see how quickly the car "learns", you will see how primative piggybacks are

^^2x. Best thing ever. Straight power up. Lol

I told you before you need to tune the actual computer because at the end is doing all the final calculations to be output to all the sensors.

If you check on evom you get good deals on the ecu.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 12-01-2011 at 08:11 AM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

3g ECU's go for about $30-$75 here, im sure u will find something around those price ranges

Just try this before you go spend money.

From your other thread I read you have WRX 440cc, Wally 255 and Evo FPR.

A couple of thing I want to say about this.

Evo FPR is set at 43 psi. You are using Galant ECU or even the Eclipse ECU, correct? These ECUs want to see 48 psi of fuel pressure to run right. Eventho its boosted it still wants to see 48 psi (that with the vacuum line pinched or disconnected). When you hook the vacuum line back up, the pressure will drop down to 40-42 psi. In your case, you have 43psi FPR and when the vacuum pulls it, it drops to 35-37psi. Thats no good brother!! Switch back to Galant FPR

Your stock injectors are 240cc and you have 440cc instead. The difference is exactly 46%. For starters, you want to set that e-manage to -46% global maps, or if it does it by rpms you want to set it t -46% from 500-3000 rpms. 3k rpms is where the turbo starts kicking in (im guessing here) and then you want to start adding fuel ( -44, -42.- 40%).
    Last edited by mko; 12-01-2011 at 08:53 AM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Good Call MKO. Yes. The stock PCM on the 2.4L Galant is set to 232CC. On the E-manage you need to adjust the extra cc for the WRX or on the PCM set the injector scaling to 348-352CC or so. latency needs to be adjusted also.

Try this
    Injector scaling: 372
    Latency:
    Voltage -- latency ms
    4.6875 -- 3.312
    7.03125 -- 1.752
    9.375 -- 0.768
    11.7188 -- 0.744
    14.0625 -- 0.432
    16.4062 -- 0.36
    18.75 -- 0.312

You really need to invest in a open port.

I'm not a big fan of leaving the maf sensor scaling and smoothing the same when you go turbo or you change the displacement. You need to tune that also. The computer will do so much with the stock values, you need it to give her some slack to work with. The stock MAF values is great to re-adjust and relearn simple bolt on like CAI, bigger tb.
    Last edited by Isaurio; 12-01-2011 at 11:15 AM

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Just curious, did you have any idle issues before the turbo installation?
    nope. idled smooth

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    JIgz, look for a 3G GS ecu, they are the same as the evo 8s and much cheaper, I was able to get mine for 75 bucks. I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the emanage :(
    Matt's got an EVO ECU for me already and gave me a hell of a deal for the ecu AND a conversion harness.

Quote Originally Posted by underated View Post
    get the eclipse ecu like Greddy said... i dont know why people say to get the evo ecu when your going to change the rom anyways. 3g ecu's are a lot cheaper and pretty much the same thing and the evo ecu.

sorry about your problems with the emanage... i tried the safc-2 and the emanage untimate with fustrating results like you mentioned. ecuflash and evoscan are hands down the way to go for the 4g6X
    It sucks so bad. I messed with it again this morning I got the car to stop dipping to 500 RPM when you push the clutch in by clamping the MAF frequency at 35Hz with the anti-stall. But it is still dipping WAYYY to lean at idle. I also noticed at half throttle with no timing adjustment the AFRs oscillate around 11-12 until 3000 then it goes super lean.

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Just try this before you go spend money.

From your other thread I read you have WRX 440cc, Wally 255 and Evo FPR.

A couple of thing I want to say about this.

Evo FPR is set at 43 psi. You are using Galant ECU or even the Eclipse ECU, correct? These ECUs want to see 48 psi of fuel pressure to run right. Eventho its boosted it still wants to see 48 psi (that with the vacuum line pinched or disconnected). When you hook the vacuum line back up, the pressure will drop down to 40-42 psi. In your case, you have 43psi FPR and when the vacuum pulls it, it drops to 35-37psi. Thats no good brother!! Switch back to Galant FPR

Your stock injectors are 240cc and you have 440cc instead. The difference is exactly 46%. For starters, you want to set that e-manage to -46% global maps, or if it does it by rpms you want to set it t -46% from 500-3000 rpms. 3k rpms is where the turbo starts kicking in (im guessing here) and then you want to start adding fuel ( -44, -42.- 40%).
    I will try and go back to the stock FPR, though will that fit on my EVO rail?

The car is already running super lean at idle. on the e-manage if I set the the values to anything lower than 35% via the Airflow adjustment map the car wants to stall. The injector map is useless if you want to jump AFR's by more than 1:1. I have two cells to adjust at idle.

The E-manage does its own scaling. You cant set the latency or scale the injectors on you own with it.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    Good Call MKO. Yes. The stock PCM on the 2.4L Galant is set to 232CC. On the E-manage you need to adjust the extra cc for the WRX or on the PCM set the injector scaling to 348-352CC or so. latency needs to be adjusted also.

Try this
    Injector scaling: 372
    Latency:
    Voltage -- latency ms
    4.6875 -- 3.312
    7.03125 -- 1.752
    9.375 -- 0.768
    11.7188 -- 0.744
    14.0625 -- 0.432
    16.4062 -- 0.36
    18.75 -- 0.312

You really need to invest in a open port.

I'm not a big fan of leaving the maf sensor scaling and smoothing the same when you go turbo or you change the displacement. You need to tune that also. The computer will do so much with the stock values, you need it to give her some slack to work with. The stock MAF values is great to re-adjust and relearn simple bolt on like CAI, bigger tb.
    Yeah, I already DL'd ECU Flash on the laptop. I just need to buy the tactrix 2.0 openport and the mitsubishi adapter.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    Where do you think he is getting his ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    ^^2x. Best thing ever. Straight power up. Lol

I told you before you need to tune the actual computer because at the end is doing all the final calculations to be output to all the sensors.

If you check on evom you get good deals on the ecu.
    We dealt with this stuff on Marc's Galant as well over a year ago. The point of the E-Manage is strictly a piggyback system, no adjusting the factory ECU needed or required, thus why it is a piggyback unit that intercepts data and changes it based on the settings within the piggyback unit (the E-Manage). Once you start tuning a piggyback unit, and go into the factory ECM, you have to go back and forth between the two which is spending more wasted time trying to tune something.

This is why the piggyback engine management systems are on the market, for those applications in which you do not have the money for a full standalone, or your factory ECM is not one which can be tuned/flashed.

I am not sure how far many of you have got with tuning E-Manage, but I can tell you the time Marc and I spent on this very unit on hs car, AFTER being tuned "professionally" here by a tuning shop who does mostly E-Manage and AEM tuning, we still had piss poor results. The way the system is setup is half assed and you simply cannot get anywhere near the results or control of the engine as you can with the OEM ECM. This is why Boomslang was making money for their harnesses because you could do far more with that ECM setup.

Marc and I both cautioned Jigz on the E-Manage and its poor user friendly way of tuning. You will literally spend more time trying to fine tune issues in the car than you will actually driving and enjoying it. There is very little resolution to the maps when compared to the Evo ECM option, and this was an issue we fought with fueling and timing, and Jigz has the same. Why do you think Marc has parked his Galant for over a year now after just trying to deal with the E-Manage? (Sure it may have something to do with an Evo LOL).

The days of piggyback are out, especially now with a highly active developer (Isaurio) working on the ROM files for this platform specifically. You can either stay within the limits of piggyback units, or make a huge step forward and run with an OEM ECU that has the same, if not more control than some standalones on the market currently.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

yeah if you can make upwards of 700+hp on the stock evo ecu sounds good to me
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    Where do you think he is getting his ;)

We dealt with this stuff on Marc's Galant as well over a year ago. The point of the E-Manage is strictly a piggyback system, no adjusting the factory ECU needed or required, thus why it is a piggyback unit that intercepts data and changes it based on the settings within the piggyback unit (the E-Manage). Once you start tuning a piggyback unit, and go into the factory ECM, you have to go back and forth between the two which is spending more wasted time trying to tune something.

This is why the piggyback engine management systems are on the market, for those applications in which you do not have the money for a full standalone, or your factory ECM is not one which can be tuned/flashed.

I am not sure how far many of you have got with tuning E-Manage, but I can tell you the time Marc and I spent on this very unit on hs car, AFTER being tuned "professionally" here by a tuning shop who does mostly E-Manage and AEM tuning, we still had piss poor results. The way the system is setup is half assed and you simply cannot get anywhere near the results or control of the engine as you can with the OEM ECM. This is why Boomslang was making money for their harnesses because you could do far more with that ECM setup.

Marc and I both cautioned Jigz on the E-Manage and its poor user friendly way of tuning. You will literally spend more time trying to fine tune issues in the car than you will actually driving and enjoying it. There is very little resolution to the maps when compared to the Evo ECM option, and this was an issue we fought with fueling and timing, and Jigz has the same. Why do you think Marc has parked his Galant for over a year now after just trying to deal with the E-Manage? (Sure it may have something to do with an Evo LOL).

The days of piggyback are out, especially now with a highly active developer (Isaurio) working on the ROM files for this platform specifically. You can either stay within the limits of piggyback units, or make a huge step forward and run with an OEM ECU that has the same, if not more control than some standalones on the market currently.
    yup, my dude.

Experienced TGC Member
    I knew it had to be that e-manage. I told u my buddy had issues with his and he ripped it out and they went away ;-).