The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DOES MITSUBISHI SUCK?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24
    greengalant99

DOES MITSUBISHI SUCK?

well im sick and tired of mechanics telling me that mitsubishi sucks that why did i buy a galant is mitsubishi good guyz common lets be honest does it give alot of prblems ? as reliable as honda or toyota ? but i have good faith in my mitsubishi what do you guys think?

First off, it think it's just b/c you have the wrong color Galant as your alias implies. j/k, the new generation Galant's along with the Eclipse's are awesome. Hell, why else do you think they would use this engine in so many other production cars (hint, hint, Dodge and Chrysler).

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

greengalant99
    mm yeah but chrysler is not good

Senior TGC Member
    In all honesty I can't say they suck. They're probably never going to win any awards for quality, but I think they hold up alright. At least they don't have any risks of explosion like GM does, or Ford's share of dangerous recalls. Our recalls are mainly little things...except for the steering nut. I like my car just fine, and the Galant before it. It's the first car I ever drove into water that was window height and still manage to drive out, and 22 miles to the dealership before it died on me. If that doesn't say something I don't know what does.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

there are really no "sucky" cars anymore.

most of you are possible too young, but if you really want a sucky car, try any domestic in the early 80's.

mitsus quality is not world leading on everything, but the cars that are still built in japan (vs the domestic built mitsus) are still unbreakable.

honestly, you could do a lot worse than mitsu.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>there are really no "sucky" cars anymore.

most of you are possible too young, but if you really want a sucky car, try any domestic in the early 80's.

mitsus quality is not world leading on everything, but the cars that are still built in japan (vs the domestic built mitsus) are still unbreakable.

honestly, you could do a lot worse than mitsu.</div>

my US Built Galant is damn reliable, no problems except for small recalls (Glove box, Fuel Hose) and the sunroof being slightly off track its been perfect!! Knock on wood

GreenGalant are these the mechanics from the dealership? I'd hope not.

And btw, honda's aren't as reliable as before, check consumer reports on that.

Roba2162

My Opinion

I think when you evaluate the Galant you have to do so on two levels. Number one the car is relatively inexpensive. What you are getting is a reliable no frills entry level vehicle. Pound for pound buck for buck it is an excellent vehicle. The comparisons laid out are often not equitable. The Honda Accord will cost you more and is living on reputation. And all apologies the Civic is no comparison. Which leads to point two. I'm over 30 so I really don't fit into or get this import racing thing but bear with me. With all this Fast and Furious excitement Honda and Toyota have gotten quite a bit of exposure as cool have to have cars in the same way Mustangs and Firebirds were. In all honesty those cars were more trouble than they were worth. I mean if i remember right there a souped up Neon in that flic and who wants that! I owned a Mustang and a Monte Carlo. Simply put outside of the Eclipse the Mitsubishi doesn't get the respect it deserves, due largely in part to poor advertising schemes. Simply put I bought this vehicle for my wife as a reliable driver. It has performed flawlessly Now that it's been passed down to me (dig that, right?!?) I can appreciate the reliability as well as tweak it here and there. Pound for pound of all the vehicles I've owned outside of the Volvo it runs better thatn the Monte, Mustang, Aerostar, Saturn, Monza and so on. All in all well worth 18-20 thousand when you consider what other companies are giving for that.

7h3_wh173_kn16h7
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>First off, it think it's just b/c you have the wrong color Galant as your alias implies. j/k, the new generation Galant's along with the Eclipse's are awesome. Hell, why else do you think they would use this engine in so many other production cars (hint, hint, Dodge and Chrysler). </div>

is it true that the new saab 9-3 use mitsu turbo engines??

Senior TGC Member
    Wow using Mitsu engines...that's pretty cool. I know many companies use the Mitsu turbos but if they're borrowing engines that's awesome
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Here's how I rate the quality of my Galant. In almost two years I've owned it I've only been called back for two minor recalls. I've only been to the dealer to have something fixed twice, other than those recalls. I've done some significant mods to the engine and it's still going strong. So in my opinion, No, Mitsubishi doesn't suck.

Compare that to my previous car, a Mazda MX6 which I loved. That was recalled 7 times in 3 years, and had significant electrical problems.

Is Mitsu the best out there in terms of quality? Absolutely not, but for $22 grand and change, I think I got a really nice car that I've made into a pretty worthy sleeper. Just my 2 cents.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

ESdriver00
    Bump all that, if you take care of your car it will take care of you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>there are really no "sucky" cars anymore.

my US Built Galant is damn reliable, no problems except for small recalls (Glove box, Fuel Hose) and the sunroof being slightly off track its been perfect!! Knock on wood

And btw, honda's aren't as reliable as before, check consumer reports on that.</div>

if you had worked on mitsus for the last 10 years, youde know that the domestic built cars absolutly PALE in comparison to the japanese made cars.

there were about 10000 galants imported back in 95, 'cause mitsu couldnt crank out enough.
    they had nearly NONE of the same problems the domestic cars did.

dont get me wrong, the quality has come up a LOT. and things DO break on the japanese sourced models. But i think if i had to put a number to it, id say that the domestic cars have about 50 percent more issues than the japanese built ones.

Turboutlaw
    how many miles do you have on it?? I have 40,000 and I have never had a single problem... I recomend them to people.

That's another really good point manybrews. The percentage of cars out versus the number of problems is an interesting stat to look at too.

I also think Roba2162 put it very well as for what you are getting for the price.

And ESdriver00 makes a very valid point. "If you take care of the car, it will take care of you", is very true. If you abuse it, it will break down much faster.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

greengalant99
    well you guys have a point im not againts mitsu common im stuck paying for one for 3 years i love i just hate does little brake problems .. i pay 10200 for 99 galant es with 45.000 was that a good deal ?

MrDomu
    I had a few GM cars prior to owning my G. They simply don't compare. They G blows all the american cars away. The '88 Olds Cutlass I traded in with 124k on it was a rattle box, the tranny was leaking like a sib (already put 1 tranny in it). My G has 112k on it and its still pretty much solid. So.. I won't but american again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>there are really no "sucky" cars anymore.

And btw, honda's aren't as reliable as before, check consumer reports on that.</div>

if you had worked on mitsus for the last 10 years, youde know that the domestic built cars absolutly PALE in comparison to the japanese made cars.

there were about 10000 galants imported back in 95, 'cause mitsu couldnt crank out enough.
    they had nearly NONE of the same problems the domestic cars did.

dont get me wrong, the quality has come up a LOT. and things DO break on the japanese sourced models. But i think if i had to put a number to it, id say that the domestic cars have about 50 percent more issues than the japanese built ones.</div>

I have a Japanese built Galant, only problem i had was my tranny

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrDomu)</div><div class='quotemain'>I won't but american again.</div>

Like a rock, eh?

we have 5 cars in our family

91 Ford Explorer
    99 Chevy Tahoe
    99 Eclipse
    2k Galant
    2k2 VW GTi

and yea other than the eclipse (we don't take care of that that much lol) the Galant is the one thats been in the shop the most. Mostly for some small shit that i find b4 it gets to be a big problem ie. leaky radiator hose. all the other cars we nevery really had any problems. just regular maintenance stuff. The explorer had its tranny changed once but i guess that was my fault, using PARK as a braking mechanism and all the neutral drops. but yea no real problems and yea the galant is only in the shop cuz i become very meticulous with it.

If you take the time to just do a small visual inspection of your car once a week, your car will be in the shop more for preventive maintence than repairs.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

bbf65
    we have had (in the family) 6 mitsubishis (3 lancers and 3 galants), alongside 3 toyotas (all corollas), 2 hondas (both civics), and 1 nissan (sentra). from experience, i can only say that the mitsus rank up there in quality. we kept a mitsu lancer for far longer than we kept any other car and it just outlived the newer ones.
    the only reason we had to part with it was that rust started to eat away her body. if we were to tally problems, the nissan had the most (including stalling), the toyota followed (windows, rattle, overheating), the hondas and the mitsus about the same.
    there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast