The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Broken timing belt. FML

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 36 of 36
    Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    The $400.00 roughly that people pay a tech to do it is usually only the belts. Right and wrong way is up to who ever you ask. Changing the belt means changing the belt. The rest is precautions if there is nothing wrong with them while changing the belt.
    I paid about that for both belts and tensioner on my other G. I should have changed the water pump too though, for all that work, if your water pump goes bad most of that stuff gotta come right back out to change it so you should just go ahead and change that too, it's not always necessary (as my water pump still worked fine until I gave the car up) but it's a peace-of-mind type thing.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    it's a peace-of-mind type thing.
    That's what I'm talkin bout!

Ask Keith what happens when you half ass a timing belt replacement!!! Nuff said!!! No pun intended Keith

Are you talking about the time he had a car meet in the middle of the freeway? Either to or from MOD.

It was accually the corona meet and yes that exactly what I'm talking about!

I remember seeing the pics, Corona meet! They were close together confused them.

Lol! All you guys needed some lawn chairs and ice chests!

yeap i was right my timing belt broke, and its 3 thousand to repair the valves and change the belt plus changing the water pump. So my car is being scrapped :((
    -Space

Dont scrap it bro.

Go to Summit, IL to the pick n pull and find a motor. it's around 175ish for a motor.

if you do scrap it, I'd like to know what color the car is.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by Space View Post
    yeap i was right my timing belt broke, and its 3 thousand to repair the valves and change the belt plus changing the water pump. So my car is being scrapped :((
    3K wtf??

I'd Go with what Jigz said.

its not my car, my mom owns it. So its her money. and its a White 8g v6 3.0L, and i used to live in Oak Lawn and go to polish school in Summit lol
    but im going to go over it with my mom because thats pretty cheap.
    Last edited by Space; 01-10-2012 at 11:59 PM
    -Space

:3.5 Swap:

hopefully, i can keep riding my galant aka Victoria
    -Space

I no longer own a Galant
    -Space

alright, so i inspected the timing belt by removing the upper cover, and the belt looks okay on my '01 ES. still going to replace it, though(can't see the teeth, obviously), with the water pump- as the engine now has ~137,000 miles, and we bought the car with like 40,000 on the odometer.

my question, so i want to get this timing belt component\interference kit;

DAYCO Part # 95232K3 on www.rockauto.com

and i assume that doesn't come with the timing belt tensioner, as the timing belt tensioner looks like this:

DORMAN Part # 420107 More Information About this Part {#MD308086}

so should i also replace the timing belt tensioner? and is the tensioner above the same as a hydraulic tensioner adjuster?

Had a belt snap on me last night on the freeway. Only 40k miles on the belt supposed to be good for 60k...

I've got an 03 2.4. My ballance shaft belt broke and destroyed the crank sensor and plate. I replace both belts the crank sensor and plate. Got it back together and it only runs on 2 cylinders. One coil hAs spark but the other one has no spark. I then replaced the bad coil with same results. Only one coil has spark.
    I then went back and checked all my work and decided to replace the crankshaft position sensor with another new one.
    Now neither coil has spark.
    When only one coil had spark the engine would run, but only on 2 cylinders.
    What can cause it to loose both coils?
    Please help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12