The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Broken timing belt. FML

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 36

Icon5 Broken timing belt. FML

Timing belt broke in my 8g mid drive doing about 60mph. Unknowing what the problem was I prb cranked the motor a good 10 times since then. I'm pretty sure its the timing belt since the top cover was broken and the belt seems to be broken inside as well (although I am not 100% sure). What are the chances my valves are bent if so? Considering I'm a broke college student, I'm praying that its just the belt and nothing much more serious than that. Also, I found a place that'll replace it and the water pump for about $390. Decent price? Feel free to ask me anything that may be relevant or something i left out.

Thank you guys.

The only was to tell is to do a compression test. Is the belt still attached and spinning when you crank it? If you can't tell just open the oil cap and look for moving parts

Yeah when I crank it the belt is still spinning.

Sorry to hear. Mine broke about 4 months ago and there were valves damaged. had to get heads machined. All in all, it cost me $1,200 and I was just about to change the belt before this happened. I would have only payed half of that, at best >:(

Mitsubishi motors are mostly interference so getting away with needing just a belt is slim to none.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Slim to none is an under statement. Dude if you snaped the belt you defiantly bent valves end of story!

Yeah especially if you cranked it since then

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoItsFelix View Post
    Yeah when I crank it the belt is still spinning.
    If the timing belt is still spinning it sounds like at worst it skipped some teeth and shreaded its self up a bit.

It probably took out the crankshaft sensor and plate. And if the sensor is damaged the car wont start without it.

Also make sure that the balance shaft belt is replaced at the same time the timing belt is.

As for bent valves it could be hit or miss. As long as the timing belt didnt completly snap.

I'm getting the creeps seeing all these snapped belt threads!

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I'm getting the creeps seeing all these snapped belt threads!
    Dont be creaped ........half these broken belt stories are cars with 90,000+ miles on them with the orig. belt. They are to be replaced every 60,000.

Mines 210k and no idea when it was last done, and no money to do it, its pn my priority list as soon as the cash comes in for it. Got it with 200k from a body shop as lien sale.

When you were driving and your belt snapped, tell me what exactly happened. When i was driving, i first noticed my RPM shoot up to 3k then to 0k. Then my car turned off/died. And it would not start up again. My drive belt was just changed, as well as the battery. And the belt that runs the alternator looks fine. Is there any other thoughts? or am i screwed? Hopefuly not, my galant maybe a piece of shit -sorry for cursing- but i love that piece of shit.
    -Space

If your belt snaps the car just dies! The acc belts have nothing to do with what happened here. Your best option is to swap in a junk yard motor but don't just throw it in and call it a day. Get a timing belt kit it comes with the belt and all the idler pulleys + the balance shaft belt, also get a new tensioner and water pump, after that a basic tune up wires plugs ect... It's going to cost a Lil bit of change.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Mines 210k and no idea when it was last done, and no money to do it, its pn my priority list as soon as the cash comes in for it. Got it with 200k from a body shop as lien sale.
    Its about $400.00 to have someone do it for you. Or it its possible to do it your self for less then $100.00. If you don't know when or if it has ever been done, I would get it done ASAP to be safe. Other wise if it dose snap your looking at about a grand for repairs.

It's more than 100 in parts

Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
    It's more than 100 in parts
    Where did you get the parts from where it cost more then 100? I guess its what you buy but for around 50 you can get them.

When you do a timing belt the RIGHT way you have to change all corresponding idler pullys, balance shaft belt, timing belt tensioner and water pump! I don't know where you get your parts but I don't shop at auto zone and I would never use duracrap in my car!

Rockauto.com has the belt, auto tensioner, idler pully timing belt tensioner, balance shaft tensioner, balance and timing belt along with a water pump available for $148.

For me with shipping it was ~$165, they take 3-5 days, and it will be there within 3-5 days. Check them out
    Boost, its whats for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
    When you do a timing belt the RIGHT way you have to change all corresponding idler pullys, balance shaft belt, timing belt tensioner and water pump! I don't know where you get your parts but I don't shop at auto zone and I would never use duracrap in my car!
    The $400.00 roughly that people pay a tech to do it is usually only the belts. Right and wrong way is up to who ever you ask. Changing the belt means changing the belt. The rest is precautions if there is nothing wrong with them while changing the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    The $400.00 roughly that people pay a tech to do it is usually only the belts. Right and wrong way is up to who ever you ask. Changing the belt means changing the belt. The rest is precautions if there is nothing wrong with them while changing the belt.
    What he means, is that for the amount of work involved and for how far in you have to go to replace the water pump, you may as well do it "right" then and there.

I wouldn't call it wrong or right, smart YES!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast