The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: my transmission is dying -.- i ithink

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

my transmission is dying -.- i ithink

so right now as i was driving home from work, i was getting on the freeway, after about getting to 30mph ish, my car just reved up as if the transmission were in neutral, i was so surprised i just slowly started taking my foot off the pedal ,and NOTHING it was as if it were in neutral now, then i get on the side of the road, and wait a bit... so i try driving and its fine, the whole ride home it rides pretty smooth, then when i get off the freeway, and was slowing down, it stopped kinda abruptly, then, on the streets on the way home, it rode really really smooth, probably better than it ever has, something i noticed today was something leaking, and i smelled it, didn't smell like engine oil or coolant, then i noticed it looked like it was coming from under the transmission, would going to the mechanic getting a flush make it drive better? or should i just drop the pan, im going to the junk yard tomorrow by the way to get a new idle control valve, so should i be on the lookout for something my car might need?

Update: I just got to school (finals week) and I noticed smoke coming from under the hood on the right side (I was behind the car) and if I weren't In such a hurry I would've checked, thoughts anyone? Ima check everything when I get home.... Yea... My granny is dying I bet... X( it shifted pretty rough today on the way to school

5speed swap it

HTC EVO 4G
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Eibach Pro Kit on GR2 Struts
    Cold Air Intake
    Outlander Intake Manifold
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap
    Prothane Motor Mount Inserts

im getting 25mpg city and 30mpg highway untuned!!!

i knew someone would bring that up xD well , if i could drive it, i would xD im willing to learn, also, what's the cost to do it? i have to find a new or rebulit transmission now, but if the swaps cheaper, ill do that,
    also
    UPDATE, i just got home and checked where the smoke was coming from and it looked like it was from under all the fuel injection stuff, i dont know the exact name i could take a picture and point at it, also when i accelerate theres a sort of clicking noise

lol 5 spd isnt that hard to learn...but before doing all that determine where the leak is coming from cuz if it aint burnt tranny fluid it could be something else...btw did the fluid smell burnt?

i just dropped the pan (yea it smelled burnt, that's why i dropped it) and changed the filter, so after i just drove it, it wouldn't go past 15 mph, then when i was going back into my alley it just went, and stopped in bursts! it was just like little pushes, ughhhhhhh damn, this is finals week at school and ive barely started my job in late august -.-
    anyways, so should i 5 speed swap it, get another auto transmission? i kinda wanna junk it and look for another galant, i hate this one xD

I kind of want to know how much the 5 speed swap is as well, my tranny is failing on my car too, and if i'm going to save up some money might as well just 5 speed swap it :D

Nice thread bump, Your biggest cost are going to be the Transmission and the Flywheel/Clutch/Pressure Plate. My trans was just under $700 (just under 49,000 miles) after tax and I bought brand new light weight flywheel and stage 1 Exedy clutch and pressure plate package that was $554. I also bought BG Synchro Shift trans fluid that was $84 with shipping and tax. You also need all the hydraulic parts for the clutch, clutch pedal, shifter cables, shifter base and shifter, and other things I might be forgetting. So you can either go the expensive way or the cheap way. Others have done it cheaper than me, I also had to buy some sockets and other tools along the way. So the cost is totally up to you. You could do the whole swap under $1000 if you find the right deals.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT