The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2003 Galant Idle Problems....

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Icon4 2003 Galant Idle Problems....

[SIZE="4"]Today i took my 2003 galant, 2.4l 4 cylinder, to walmart. Went inside for 10 minutes and when i came out, I tried starting the car. It started just fine and then turned off. It seems the car will not stay running at idle. If i keep some pressure on the gas pedal the car will run when i release the gas pedal and engine starts to idle, the car will turn off. I was low on gas, so kinda kept the engine above idle and power braked the car a little so i could drive across the parking lot the the walmart gas station. I put in a few gallons of the Super unleaded, encase maybe the nasty stuff at the bottom of the gas tank might have been causing problems. But it didn't help.

So I have pretty much determined that i am having a fuel delivery problem. But my question is how do i go about diagnosis this issue???? A full fuel pump assembly with strainer is $250, and a Idle Air Control Valve is $250, I don't want to start buying parts that don't need to be replaced. Tomorrow I am going to clean the Mass air Flow and replace the air filter but i doubt this will help anything. I did clean the Throttle Body about 6 Months ago. There is evidently no external fuel filter on this car.

Im not sure if its the fuel pump seeing how the car will start and run as long as the gas is held down alittle. Can someone please tell me how to check the fuel pump and/or the Idle Air Control Valve to find out if they are working or not???

Could be MAF, IAC, or intake manifold. It's an idle issues. Clean your MAF and IAC along with your throttle body

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

Can I clean my IAC, i thought it was not possible to clean this part. And should I rule the fuel pump out now?

put a LITTLE bit of carb cleaner on a rag, and CAREFULLY wipe it clean. Worked for me.
    -Andrew

Im now 95% sure i have a clogged converter that is built into the manifold. The Stock Manifold/Converter replacement will cost atleast $300. I assume I should be able to buy a header for this much money, but I cant find one. Any help pointing me in the right direction for a 2003 galant es 2.4L 4 cylinder header would be awesome.

Exhaust Manifold with Converter built into it is off the car and being "Repaired" now. I got a new exhaust manifold gasket and catalatic converter gasket. I will complete thread after manifold is back on car, IF a clogged converter is the problem. Im the mean time I will also clean the MAF sensor and IAC.
    Any help in locating the IAC would be nice thou.

its directly under the intake pipe on the throttle body. its held on by 3 philips screws and has a black connector with 6 wires coming off of it.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Was there ever a conclusion to this thread? My 3.0L V6 is doing the same thing... but not all the time, on two such occasions in the last month.

'03 Galant LS V6

yes, I found out what the problem was. My sparkplug seals were leaking and fouling out my plugs. I was getting the P0421 check engine light code, which was related. I changed the valve gasket and spark plug seals, that came with the valve gasket($20 Total spend). Before finding out all my plugs had fouled I believed it was the catalatic converter built into the exhaust manifold, so I had it gutted and relized that was not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by s4ean View Post
    Was there ever a conclusion to this thread? My 3.0L V6 is doing the same thing... but not all the time, on two such occasions in the last month.
    Sexy G
    -Dirty South-

They See Me Rollin They Hating -Riding Dirty-
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    It dont smell or anything so F it.

Ah... well thanks, that wouldn't be my problem as I changed the plugs and replaced the seals (and gasket seal) year and a half ago. No leaking to date. This is my second Galant, and the first stalled on me doing 70 next to the guardrail mid-turn, let's just say it did not end well, trying to avoid the same prospects.

'03 Galant LS V6

Late post but might help someone..**99-05 eclipse header works great as its the same motor**(thats what happend with mine)