The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how to: full control of your fog lights

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 78
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    Sweet!!!! running lights NEXT UP!!!! lol good tut Joey

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by Corey2kG View Post
    Better??? lol
    ehhhhhhhhhh idk i dont have jdms I would need them in person fist

Nice, I did have hids in my fogs but fried a balest from one of my headlights, took the balest from my fogs and used them for my heads and installed a relay kit in the main fuse box under the hood, picked up the pac tr7 and put in stock bulbs in the fogs, till I get another hid kit for them

HTC EVO 4G
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Eibach Pro Kit on GR2 Struts
    Cold Air Intake
    Outlander Intake Manifold
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap
    Prothane Motor Mount Inserts

im getting 25mpg city and 30mpg highway untuned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    ehhhhhhhhhh idk i dont have jdms I would need them in person fist
    This set would look great with jdm heads.. I just don't think ill ever get a set

HTC EVO 4G
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Cold Air Intake
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap

very nice... Have to get this done. Can you tell/show me where you mounted the TR-7

Quote Originally Posted by Brian03Galant View Post
    very nice... Have to get this done. Can you tell/show me where you mounted the TR-7
    Something like this will just be tucked away behind the lower dash panel, perhaps zip tied somewhere. This is just basically a small relay, so some of the wires will have to be extended to where they need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian03Galant View Post
    Under the dash, zip tied to the frame

HTC EVO 4G
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Cold Air Intake
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap

update, finally installed another hid kit with relay kit, and all is working great. been running this setup for 5months with stock bulbs and just over 3 weeks with hids with no issues

having full control is great

So I did my fog thing today. With distractions with neighbore n kids took me under an hour. Followed step by step n took a few pics.

fuse box

taped up

where I mounted it with 3m

Fogs on

Parking city n fog lights on

All lights on

Thanks Joey

FreakyDeaky

Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Good job Corey!

Thanks Vic. Was easier then I thought.

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

I bet it was, but ill leave that between us.....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Cold Air Intake
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap

great find!

nice find. i've been looking for a latching/un-latching relay to control my fogs. i will wire it a little differently though in order to take advantage of the auto-off function of our lights (so i never have to remember to turn off anything).

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    nice find. i've been looking for a latching/un-latching relay to control my fogs. i will wire it a little differently though in order to take advantage of the auto-off function of our lights (so i never have to remember to turn off anything).
    I believe thats what the ignition wire is for, so when the relay sees ignition voltage off it cuts power to the lights. And the next time it sees ignition voltage it was for the pulse from the fog switch to activate.

Well as soon as you take the key out or just switch it off it will automatically turn off. So in a way its like the auto on/off. So you could just wire it up the way it shows here. As long as the key is on ACC or ON position the fogs will stay on. Ohterwise the fogs will turn off themselves with no power.

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by finald8ta View Post
    I bet it was, but ill leave that between us.....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    SHHHHHHHH!!!!!! It just seemed confusing at the time that's the only reason I called you lol. So shut your face off lol.

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I believe thats what the ignition wire is for, so when the relay sees ignition voltage off it cuts power to the lights. And the next time it sees ignition voltage it was for the pulse from the fog switch to activate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey2kG View Post
    Well as soon as you take the key out or just switch it off it will automatically turn off. So in a way its like the auto on/off. So you could just wire it up the way it shows here. As long as the key is on ACC or ON position the fogs will stay on. Ohterwise the fogs will turn off themselves with no power.
    yes i know the wiring that is shown here is acc/on key position dependent, and that works well... that's not the OEM switch functionality for the lights auto-off though... leave your lights on after the car is shut off (the car has to be running first) then turn off the car and pull the key; the lights will not turn off until you open the driver's door. that is the sync switching i want because of the additional automation on my car. my headlights are also courtesy automated by my alarm for 30 seconds after arm (along with all locks, windows up, mirrors fold, and sunroof close - my car closes everything on arm even if i leave all windows and sunroof open and my mirrors fold automatically) so i want my heads and fogs to stay on until my alarm shuts them off. that won't work if i have the fogs dependent on the key (since the key would be out). all i need the latching relay to do is turn my fogs on every time i turn my headlights on until i cancel it by hitting the fog button again and then they will stay off until i re-activate them. i will never have my fogs on without my headlights (as that is illegal in california). additinally i can't just wire the power lead to the headlights as i have rewired my lights for JDM functionality. i figure i can wire to the diode bridge between my dual HID relay harnesses down stream of the diode (triggers for the relays)... that section sees voltage when either the lows or highs are activated on the oem switch... remember i had to do the work around to get the H4 wiring to control the H7/H1 pair correctly.
    Last edited by Reelax; 03-26-2012 at 04:31 AM

^^^ I get exactly how your car works and ow you want the fogs to work, I did that to an Excursion to seal everything up with the alarm once it has been armed and all the windows/sunroof is open.

i will never have my fogs on without my headlights (as that is illegal in california).

Did not know.... Then why do some domestics with fogs and some Europeans allow for fogs with parks?

Domestic Ex. F-150, Ram, Silverado/Sierra, Tahoe/Yukon

European: MCBZ alot of platforms, Beemers, a few Jags.

I have yet to see a Japanese car that allows that from factory.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    ^^^ I get exactly how your car works and ow you want the fogs to work, I did that to an Excursion to seal everything up with the alarm once it has been armed and all the windows/sunroof is open.

Did not know.... Then why do some domestics with fogs and some Europeans allow for fogs with parks?

Domestic Ex. F-150, Ram, Silverado/Sierra, Tahoe/Yukon

European: MCBZ alot of platforms, Beemers, a few Jags.

I have yet to see a Japanese car that allows that from factory.
    yes, my girl's ford escape is one of the cars that allows the fog lights to turn on w/ only the parking lights (headlights off), but just because a car can do something doesn't mean it is legal. remember CA has some crazy laws and i found a bunch of them when i was researching code years ago. another obscure law is that no more than 2 pairs of any combination of driving lights/fog lights/headlights can be on at the same time... meaning quad fogs r actually illegal in CA because you have to have the headlights on with the fogs and that would make 3 pairs (dual beam headlights are however considered as 1 pair instead of 2).

btw here is one of the CA Vehicle Codes for fogs:

V C Section 24403 Foglamps

Foglamps

24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.

Amended Sec. 20, Ch. 451, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.
    in other words, if you have the fog lights on without the headlights on, you are using the fog lights as headlights... you cannot substitute headlights with fog lights... so the only legal way to have the fog lights on is in conjunction with the headlights. it simply is the kind of violation that would give a cop an excuse to mess w/ you or ticket... don't need that hassle.
    Last edited by Reelax; 03-26-2012 at 01:48 PM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast