The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: O2 sensors ?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

O2 sensors ?

Does anyone know what makes them go bad? My SES light keeps coming on and off so I went to Auto Zone and had them scan it and it was the O2 sensor before the cat. Does any one know if it has 1, 2, 3, or 4 wire setup. Of course they didn't have one in stock but they also wanted 170.00 for it. And does anyone know where I can get one from for a reasonable price?

for the first time, i can say to go to the dealer. i had two of mine replaced because of an accident and they were 120-130 dollars a piece...but i bet u can find nicer deals than that

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

i had the same problem but it was bank 1 sensor 2 (cali spec V6) which is the rear bank rear sensor. went to the dealer... it should b a DENSO unit. cost me about $170.00

CT_GalantV6
    I dont have an exact answer to your question, but.. About 6 months ago my SES came on during my ride home from work. When I got home and closed the garage door, I smelled that 'stinky exhaust' smell (rotten eggs smell). I inquired at several parts stores and all were about the price you said, $170 or so. Feeling that $170 for an O2 senser was a little steep, I disconnected the battery for few minutes to clear out the computer. It didnt come on again for about 3 months and I did the computer reset again. All has been ok since. You can give that a try and see if it returns fairly soon. I am not saying that I wish to or that you should neglect your G ride, but $170 for an O2 senseor is a ripoff, how can it be that much differant than that on a GM vehical, cost about $30. Of cource I will never buy a GM vehical again since they are total junk, but I think you see my point. For that much money, I'll reset my computer every few months (if needed).

Why are our O2 sensors so f-ing much!!??

Thanks for the responses but the dealer would have to order the part as well. My dealers here suck...I guess I'll go ahead and bite that bullett and pay the money...... :cry:

One of the reasons our O2 sensors are more expensive than domestics is because our sensors are 3 wire heated sensors. I don't believe the GM's are.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

actually, you wont find a non-heated sensor on the market today.

No, ours are more expensive because GM makes more O2 sensors in a week than we do all year.

D03GTZ
    was that first statement concerning galants or any car's o2 sensor?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D03GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>was that first statement concerning galants or any car's o2 sensor?</div>
    pretty much any car.

Its a must have due to the OBD2 regulations.

D03GTZ
    to cars being built now yeah. but you can still buy single wire and two wire o2s for replacement at parts store

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D03GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>to cars being built now yeah. but you can still buy single wire and two wire o2s for replacement at parts store</div>
    sure, for older cars... but we ARE talking about new galants here.

and it would be very foolish (and also trigger several different trouble codes) to remove the heater elements in leu of installing a cheaper O2 sensor with a single wired element.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D03GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>to cars being built now yeah. but you can still buy single wire and two wire o2s for replacement at parts store</div>
    sure, for older cars... but we ARE talking about new galants here.

and it would be very foolish (and also trigger several different trouble codes) to remove the heater elements in leu of installing a cheaper O2 sensor with a single wired element.</div>

yup... the heater curcuit by itself will trigger the SES. i know from first hand experience bcuz that was the code i was getting back...

DTC PO141 [O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2)]

[from the service manual] PO141 ...TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS (The most likely causes for this code to be set are:)

Open or shorted right bank heated oxygen sensor (rear) heater circuit.

Open circuit in right bank heated oxygen sensor (rear) heater.

PCM failed.

so i replaced it and all was well. the sensor itself was not bad but the heater curcuit had broken. if you tried to replace the O2 sensor w/ a cheap 1 or 2 wire unit, you would trip this or another code and your SES light would be on again!

(btw, MANYBREWS is a mitsu tech w/ 10 years experience, so i would trust his advice. i've learned a great deal from him and he helped me diagnose and understand my SES problem which i have since fixed.
    http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php...light=o2+sensor
    if i have a tech problem, i ask him first.)

Hey Reelax, Bank 1--which sensor is that ? Where is it located? I looked at the code again and that is the same one I'm getting...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ed)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey Reelax, Bank 1--which sensor is that ? Where is it located? Â*I looked at the code again and that is the same one I'm getting...</div>

i have a V6 cali spec... 4 sensors. if you have the same model, then bank 1 sensor 2 is the bank closer to the passenger compartment and sensor 2 is the sensor after the precat NOT the one on the manifold. im not sure how many or where non cali v6's are located and how many they have i im not versed at all w/ the i4's.