The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing Belt Intervals

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Timing Belt Intervals

Hey guys,

Have a question of when to change your timing belt a SECOND time.

The previous owner of my car changed it around 60,000 miles.

I'm at 124,000 miles now. Most of the miles are cross-country highway.

When should I change it a second time, now or how many miles. I know the manual says 60k miles for CA which my G is. No longer in CA though. I know the "brutal conditions" recommend 60k as well, or "normal conditions" as 100k miles. Tried looking for some threads on here but couldn't find one, so sorry if this is a repeated question.

Thanks

I would change it soon. I wouldnt go more than 70k

I changed my timing belt the first time a little after 90K. I changed it for the 2nd time at 150K and now I'm going to change it at 210K. What I've heard is, the first time it's 90K, and 2nd time onwards it's every 60K. If you're not using OEM, I would strongly suggest going with with every 60K.

OEM meaning an aftermarket belt? I've no idea what belt it is, it's whatever the past mechanic put on.

And it was changed at the first 60k interval because the car was in CA and they require you to change the belt at 60k.

I guess I'll go ahead and get it changed in the next week or so.

OEM meaning original Mitsubishi belt. CA is considered Harsh conditions?

who told you that? theres no rule in cali for that lol.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

It says in the Mitsubishi manual... inspect belt at 60,000 miles in other states, if in CA, etc, etc, etc REPLACE your belt at 60,000 miles...

everything in california thats car related like smog and stuff is a scam. i remember seeing that in a hanes manual before but it doesnt make any sense. did you already find a place to do your belt?
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

No I have not. I went to one mechanic (just moved here 3 months ago) for a rotor change and oil change but not really sure if I liked him. He did something without asking me first. I see belt for about 32$ on autozone, I'm guessing a mechanic will charge me more, though

just change ur timing belt every 60K... the risk of it breaking (and the cost of repair after the fact) outweighs any money you would save by letting it go longer than 60K.

Don't cheap out on the belt. A good 40-60 dollar Gates belt will be much better than any Dura(Blast) From autozone.