The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HID questions

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

HID questions

couldnt find it anywhere under the 9g section so.. im looking to buy an HID kit for my 08 ralliart from ddmtuning just wondering if i needed any relays or anything else extra besides the kit for $40 bucks on there. going 6k low beams and possibly 3k fogs

9g Baby!

Get the bixenon kit its 20 bucks more. Comes with everything you need.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Get the bixenon kit its 20 bucks more. Comes with everything you need.
    the 2008 ralliart has projector low beams (9006) and reflector high beams (9005) so bixenon capsules would do nothing for him since he would be replacing a single filament bulb, not a dual filament like the USDM 8G's H4.

for low beam, stick w/ 9006 kit in color between 4250K-6000K. it would also be a good idea to get a relay harness to extend the life of the ballasts and capsules by avoiding starvation on ignition.

Your good to go. Most HID are plug and play. You do not need any Relays. I picked these up
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-XENON-LI...73634140202809
    the other day when my Pilot 6000k kit went out.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    the 2008 ralliart has projector low beams (9006) and reflector high beams (9005) so bixenon capsules would do nothing for him since he would be replacing a single filament bulb, not a dual filament like the USDM 8G's H4.

for low beam, stick w/ 9006 kit in color between 4250K-6000K. it would also be a good idea to get a relay harness to extend the life of the ballasts and capsules by avoiding starvation on ignition.
    Well put. I thought he had the dual filament set up.

Brent forget any other posts including mine. This is the way to go.

what's the average life expectancy on the HID's? I know it's shorter then regular halogen, and I'm sure the DRL's don't help the life, either

disable the DRL's and you wont have a problem =) ddmtuning has lifetime warranty not sure if that covers the bulbs.

9g Baby!

and thanks guys ill be purchasing them shortly with relays fogs as well

9g Baby!

Hid bulbs actually have a longer expectancy life than halogens. I cant remember the exact number but somewhere around the ballpark of 50,000 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterheadGTS View Post
    what's the average life expectancy on the HID's? I know it's shorter then regular halogen, and I'm sure the DRL's don't help the life, either
    Wrong. If you buy crap eBay HID's then yes.

I have had my DDM's and VVME's longer than any halogen bulb.

And don't let me mention the McCulloch kits I bought in 06 that my dad is currently rocking in his JAG X-type. <I paid $250 per kit then.

Brands that didn't last for me were every Xentec installed and owned (10+ So I'm through with them) and 2 Onex kits (call it a bad batch, Ive heard good things bout Onex)
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 01-10-2012 at 06:40 AM

Wrong. If you buy crap eBay HID's then yes. I have my DDM's and VVME's longer than any halogen bulb.

And don't let me mention the McCulloch kits I bought in 06 that my dad is currently rocking in his JAG X-type. <I paid $250 per kit then.

Brands that did'nt last for me were every Xentec installed and owned (10+ So I'm through with them) and 2 Onex kits (call it a bad batch, Ive heard good things bout Onex)
    i have 3 mcculloch kits on my car currently (H7 6000K, H1 6000K, H3 6000K) and all have lasted w/o problem since 2005; i think i paid the same around $250 each kit. the newer, cheaper off brand kits often have problems with longevity but are so cheap (cheaper than some halogen bulbs) that it doesn't really matter;just replace part that went bad for not a lot of money. the best HID are OEM ballasts and OEM D2R/D2S, but those are also expensive compared to the majority of kits available now. actually HID has come way down in price over the years; my first HID kit back in 2000 cost me around $700!
    Last edited by Reelax; 01-10-2012 at 06:43 AM

Mcuclloch FTMFW!!

I just re-read my post, sounded like I was hating on them, but nah I bought them back in 06 at 250 a pop, I rocked them in my 3G and pulled them when I sold it in April 2010, and 2 months later they were in my dads jag, and still are!!!

They old school and I love them, they even have the external igniters.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 01-10-2012 at 06:43 AM

Oh ok, i was always under the impression they didn't last as long as halogens. then in that case, how would i go about disabling the DRLs?

bending the pin in the ecu there were other threads about that i did it to mine no problems love it

9g Baby!

awesome, i just looked it up. I'm seriously thinking about doin the HIDs with disabled DRLs. I've had the car since Oct, and all I've done was put a grenade sticker on the window lol. I'm just took broke to do anything yet. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by JesterheadGTS View Post
    awesome, i just looked it up. I'm seriously thinking about doin the HIDs with disabled DRLs. I've had the car since Oct, and all I've done was put a grenade sticker on the window lol. I'm just took broke to do anything yet. Thanks for the info!
    Hey we all know Stickers are the most important mods there is!!

save up, get some tints, intake, res delete. possibly lower it. go coil overs tho you wont regret it. i regret not gettting coilovers. i just got lower springs

9g Baby!

tints i'm gonna do with tax return money, intake haven't thought too much about. i know this isn't the thread for this, but the convo is here already lol. i'm fairly a n00b with doin shit to cars, always peaked my interest, but i just don't know enough. what is a res delete, and what do coil covers look like/benefits?

Hey we all know Stickers are the most important mods there is!!
    haha yep. i should put it to the mod list under the garage lol

Res delete is resonator delete, its piece on your exhasut that silences it.

Info on coilovers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 01-11-2012 at 02:27 AM

awesome thanks. i kept reading it was coilCovers, now i know it's coilovers, thanks again!