The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Who has air bags? Do yours rub?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

Who has air bags? Do yours rub?!

So, I was wondering who all here has a bagged galant?

Do your rear bags rub if you ride too low? Mine apparently do-Previous owner did that and result was the two rear bags blown. It has the rear sleeve bag struts.

Was wondering what you guys did to fix it? (Besides not running low pressure), if there even is a way to.

I was thinking maybe smaller rims/a different offset? I have 18's on it right now.
    Or maybe a bump stop to make the suspension not be able to go as low? But I'd rather be able to lay out when parked and be able to cruise low while driving and not worry about the bags going out again.

YES YOU WILL RUB RIGHT THREW THEM NO BULLSh!t

my apologies for the first post but i read that you would be soon driving agin and didnt want you to get as far as i did (about2miles) lol Now that I have your attention. Allow me to introduce myself. Ricky db's the name. creations the game

Long story short on heavy compression of the rear suspension setup the whole tire&wheel. Assembly moves from this (l ) to this (/) to correct this enough to prevent rubbing into the new shocks get a rear camber kit either style will work and basicly do the same thing ..moving the top of the suspension setup out so your tire or rim wont come into contact with your bag.

I use air cylinders. They don't ride as good as bags but they could take my driving style better lol

Yeah I know they'll rub through again if I go too low.

And I know the Camber changes when lowered. What exactly does a "Camber kit" do? And where would I get one?

Quote Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
    Yeah I know they'll rub through again if I go too low.

And I know the Camber changes when lowered. What exactly does a "Camber kit" do? And where would I get one?
    Camber kit fixes your wheel/tire to go from / \ or \ / to this l l

Yes, But then if I fixed the camber to make it have less negative camber at lower level, wouldnt it have a positive camber when at a higher level?

In theory yes, that's why you have to be careful of the adjustments you make. So that maybe at the highest level you have no camber just 0.
    The camber kit in your case is just to eliminate the wheel rubbing on the strut when the car is lower yet drive-able.

So what kit would i need exactly? Theres a few-And why the hell are the fronts only $20 bucks while the rears are $100? I think they raised the price because they knew i need one LOL

Price hike is because of the more complex design, the front are just camber bolts, the rears are a bit different (more hardware). I know one of the reputable brands for our rear camber is ingalls.

Know where to buy them for a good price, Or of how many +/- looks like they go maybe 1-4?

I think the most aggressive I've seen is -3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPC-REAR-CAM...ht_4071wt_1139

And that kit will make the tires not rub the bags??
    Last edited by nitrodude; 01-11-2012 at 12:52 AM

Not exactly, you should contact eicky on that, I was just showing you what a rear kit looked like and how it was involved in the rear suspension.

tag!

now this is your problem area

a pic of my rear setup before the camber kit. you can see how my rimis resting on my air cylinder..baaad..

my rear rims are 19x9.5s leaving verry little room of play either way

and a offset calculator i found
    Last edited by ricky_db; 01-11-2012 at 08:52 PM

LOL ricky, Thanks for the very artsy pic you made up.

But will that kit Oak was showing work? And to what extent would I need to offset the camber? And will I still be able to ride aired up fully without too much positive camber?

ok i edited it agin
    but im not exactly sure how your car rides fully aired but mine drove like a boat in the ocean seesawing i usually drive at about 50psi each in the front and between 50 to 55 if i have passengers in the back. i dont worry about airing up higher than that unless there is a dip, pothole, or driveway coming up.

camber kit wise yes that kit will work just fine

the amount of camber you need to add or can add is depending on how deep the old bags were cut into and how much room you have before your rim hits your outer wheel well
    i will get more pics to help you 2maro when i get back to my shop.

I have a pic of the old bags I'll upload, but the holes were pretty large in the one.

How exactly do those camber kits work? It looks like the center bolt moves forward/backward and thats it?

The shitty part is, with the damn rims on my car I cant see jack behind it. So were the rim is in relation to the bag is unknown to me because i cant see it, or fit my fat head under the car enough to see.

Should I not be laying the car out until i get a camber kit? Because its laid out in the driveway right now (Rear rim probably on the bag)

and i forgot to mention, when laid out, the tires are up in the wheel well, and they rub a little on it, you can hear a slight *Pop* noise as you air up and they pop out of the wells.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
    and i forgot to mention, when laid out, the tires are up in the wheel well, and they rub a little on it, you can hear a slight *Pop* noise as you air up and they pop out of the wells.

the car will be fine slammed while not in motion

this pop may just be the bag expanding and unrolling itself

but a camber kit will force the top section of the control arm outward making the wheel set back flat as it tries to squat into the wheel well

Heres a pic of the struts before i sent em out.

As you can tell the right side bag is Much worse then the left. I believe this is because the left was the passenger side strut, Which I noticed today when installed the struts that the passenger wheel had a small wheel spacer that I didnt notice on the driver side (Didnt check, but I didnt see it) Ill have to pull the rim again and check.

And i decided not to risk it and aired the ass end up real quick while i waited for my compressor to fill the tank, I shoved my hand under there with my phone and managed to get this pic (Out of the 10 i took) that you could see the bag, Looks like the rim isnt even touching it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast