The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 18's rubbing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27
    SilverKnight

18's rubbing

I just went out and got me some 18x8 rims this tuesday with 225/40/18 tires but my back tires rube when i turn or go on uneven roads :sad2: . i was up all night looking for the fenders rolling tutorial that was said to be posted by djplay but i could not find it. any help on how to roll my fenders in a real inexpensive way without messing up the fenders with dings and sh!t. any help greatly appreaciated. oh and i dont know the offset and different rims is out off the question. had to look through the couch to get these rims if you know what i mean.

Are you dropped? And do you have a camber kit in the rear?

the cheap way to roll fenders is to use a metal baseball bat...im not sure exactly how to do it. but it prolly involves a rag to prevent messin up the body, and just bending away

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sowndwayv)</div><div class='quotemain'>the cheap way to roll fenders is to use a metal baseball bat...im not sure exactly how to do it. but it prolly involves a rag to prevent messin up the body, and just bending away</div>

jack up the car, stick the bat between the wheel and the fiender and lower the car back down. keep doing that all the way around the fender. the downside is that u might crease the metal and mess up the paint if ur not careful

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

SilverKnight
    well my suspension is stock i havent done anything to it the whole car is basicaly stock except for neon lighting and strobes that i have added. oh and the rims i just bought.

TGC Regular
    that dosent sound right to me at all im on 18's and lowered on gc's and i dont rub the rear only the front if i hit a turn hard and fast.
    - Atba

IllestGalant
    yeah, somethin ain't right. I gots 18s and they aint rubbin

rims

Weird, im plannin on gettin 18's and this is the first time i heard of rubbin with stock height. And even dropped few --> almost none complain about rubbin. I wonder wats wrong! :puzzled1:
    Kevin
    2006 GIXXER 600

IllestGalant
    maybe your alignment is really, really, really off. or maybe you have bent suspension????? blown struts??????
    geee I wonder

SilverKnight
    Ok i rolled my fenders and it came out perty good. no warping of the fender but it still rubs but know only when i turn. i have today off so ill be heading to the shop to see what they can do.

SilverKnight
    i went to a shop today to have the back checked out they said it might be because the tires are 235/40/18 in the back and 225/40/18 in the front. does anyone know where i can get stiffer springs for the back. and is there a way to raise the stock height in the back of galant.

roman
    um, I duno I'm dumb when it comes to tires ...... only know good brands to get
    but when I called to order my rims, they'r 17's, I asked for 235 tires and tech said that it's not recomended and I should go with 215 ...... but again ur's are 18's not 17's .....

that's your problem right there...235 in the rear...you shouldnt get anything bigger than 225 on your car. remember you rims are 8 in. wide with 235 tires but still it's weird that you rub if you're not droped. is it only when you hit bumps? it could also have to do with the offset.

i have 19 x 7 rims with 225/35 tires and i never rub in the back and im dropped a good amount on all corners.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

IllestGalant
    maybe??? are your fender well covers hanging off or something???

2002-GeeTeeZee
    I used to have this problem but with another car (I also had fat tires on the rear). When you turn, the body is leaning into the tire (on the side of the inside of the turn, If I remember correctly). The way i fixed it was to basically reduce the width of the arch lip (which bends into the wheel well). I only reduced it about + and - 2" from the center of the rubbing point (which can be seen when the tire rubs on the lip, there will be black residue or even tell tale rubbing). You'll need a rotary grinder/sander (like the one's they use in body shops) to grind down the lip and leave at least 1/8" on the affected area, the rest of the stock lip will stay at ?3/4" or so. the finished result will look like a very flat "U" instead of a square U. This cured it for me at least.

By the way, at least for me the rubbing point was at around 10:30 o'clock when looking at the driver's side rear wheel. And another thing, for some strange reason I only rubbed on the rear driver's side, but you may have to do both sides.

SilverKnight
    i went to kragens and found some coil spacers which i will try to install later today if it dosent rain. ill see if that helps if not then i will be building a smaller speaker box for my two tens. i just thought that all that wieght from the huge MDF board might be weighing me down too. :?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>235 in the rear</div>

Damn.. that has got to be it.. My trunk is heavy and I never rubbed.. stock in the rear..

2005 TGC Fantasy Football Champ III
    http://www.Gencoupe.com/garage/3337

SilverKnight
    the coil spacers did the job but since the rear coils are smalles then the front ones i had to improvise with the kit but it gave me about an inch of lift so now i won't have to sacrafice my bass. :thumbsup:

So, you actually lifted your car? That's so wierd. My 18's were slightly rubbing once in a while with a 1.8" drop in the rear, but I removed a washer from each bolt of the camber kit and I haven't had any rubbing yet.

I think between the 235 tires and the 8" wide rims, and possibly even the offset, the combination really stick out too far. What is the offset anyway?

GaLanT
    I used to have 18x8.5 Rims and i never had rubbing before. Too bad those nice rims are RIP. Now i'm running 18x7.5.

EDIT : Whohoo Finally hit 100 posts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast