The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lower air box removal VS cold ait intake

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 45

Lower air box removal VS cold air intake

Was reading through the site (http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php...sk=view&id=202) of RPW (the ones who did all the mods on the mitsubishi 380) and it mentioned something about removing the lower part of the factory air box.

"Further options is to remove the lower section of the air box which is a separate part of the air box mounted onto the chassis and clips into the lower portion of the air box. RPW has found that this reservoir, which is factory sealed, if cut on the end enables air to be sucked into the air box. The air is sourced from the inner passenger side guard and not only provides further cold air, but additionally, provides around a 25% increase in air flow into the air box. RPW has successfully done this on many vehicles now with no side effects and fully protected from any water being ingested into the engine."

Also says

"But in all honesty, stock air box with the modified air intake on both ends is superior to an aftermarket cold air kit."

I already have a K&N air filter in my factory air box and was planning on getting the Fujita CAI but if it is better and cheaper to modify the existing box, I'd rather do that. has anyone done this?
    Last edited by scatterbrain; 01-13-2012 at 09:00 AM

I would cut it out. Only air flow to the stock intake is the snorkeled which is pretty small.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    I believe a couple 8g members did it. I know Zobgel did it for sure.

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

If you are gonna go with CAI I would assume you have to remove it, if SRI you can leave it.

I removed that lower intake box years ago, its hard to reach the bolts that bold it to the frame. Its been so long since Ive done this but i think it changed the sound of the intake when your wide open.
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

The Extract from the site posted above says it is better than a CAI. Is there any truth to that?

1 piece cai will likely break at the mounting over time.
    Cutting stock airbox $0 vs cai $200+

Then the question is how does one do it?

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post
    The Extract from the site posted above says it is better than a CAI. Is there any truth to that?
    Honestly I dont know, I dont want to tell you yes or no not really knowing. I've never felt the need to get a CAI though...
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

let em help you, get a manometer or a magnehlic gauge tap your air box at various points i.e. in front of MAF and after MAF the difference is how much restriction the MAF gives do this at various points. then you till be able to know how well your system is breathing and if any modifications would be worth it . go to autospeed.com and search "magnehelic" and or into the intake and it will be in one of the articles. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey2kG View Post
    I believe a couple 8g members did it. I know Zobgel did it for sure.
    SLS2000 and I did this mod long time ago and until know I'm still using my modified air box. IMO its better and cheaper than buying a $200+ CAI and it sound 1000x better than aftermarket CAI or SRI (specially on V6). CAI or SRI have raspy sound but the modified air box have deeper tone specially on V6.

TURBO= in the making.......

I finally got around to cutting the lower air box. The risk of sucking in water with a CAI or heat soak with an SRI after paying good money didn't make sense so I just modified the stock air box. It sounds a little better and throttle response seems better but that may be in my head
    Intake wise I next want to remove the resonator but I do not want to just tape it so have to figure out a way to deal with it. Will post a sound clip once done.

Closed
    Last edited by scatterbrain; 02-05-2012 at 11:42 AM

Icon5 Lower Air Box Removal.

Does anyone have any pics of this being done, or what it looks like? I want to remove the lower air box, but I don't want to fuck it up.

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    its not really rocket science, take the whole piece out make sure to leave the mounting points intact on the bottom end and remove the plastic you don't need to open it up more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    its not really rocket science, take the whole piece out make sure to leave the mounting points intact on the bottom end and remove the plastic you don't need to open it up more.
    I Didn't think it was going to be hard, Just curious as to how others did it. I will have a go at it this weekend... or maybe this week sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by STrYkeR View Post
    I Didn't think it was going to be hard, Just curious as to how others did it. I will have a go at it this weekend... or maybe this week sometime.

go to a junk yard and pick up an extra piece from the bottom that way if you don't like it then you can put it back to stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    go to a junk yard and pick up an extra piece from the bottom that way if you don't like it then you can put it back to stock.
    Ya, thats what I thought about doing, any airbox for a 3.8 should work right? wheather it is galant, or eclipse.

someone with a 9G would need to respond

So do you have to remove some plastic piece or do you have to cut it? It would be really nice if someone who did this can show me pics. I will do this very soon, I just wanna know what the finished product looks like, which would help answer my questions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast