The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: is making my 2001 v6 galant into a i4 difficult?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 46

is making my 2001 v6 galant into a i4 difficult?

now before i get bashed , i have read the thread made a while back. but my question is If i can get the whole swap pretty cheap (longblock,ecu wiring harness, motor mounts etc... is it hard to swap out completely? reason im trying to do this is because im having tranny problems and it would be cheaper if i would just swap. DOes anyone know if the motor mounts would line up.?? i know the mounts are different but will the i4 mounts fall in place of the v6 body?? . thanks

thats a godo question its a v6 at the jy near me but i think chassis code is the same

Quote Originally Posted by bgood12 View Post
    thats a godo question its a v6 at the jy near me but i think chassis code is the same
    at the jy near me they have everything dirt cheap and just wanted to know if its worth it

IIRC there was fabrication involved such as cutting and welding, it wasn't just a drop in thing.

will be more trouble than the car is worth to go from stock v6 to stock i4 or vice versa. the 2 engines (6g72 and 4g64) do not fit the same or use the same mounts and there is also sub chassis fabrication required to swap. most cost effective would be to swap another v6 but if you are having tranny issues, why not fix the tranny or convert to 5 speed?
    Last edited by Reelax; 01-13-2012 at 02:43 AM

^^ Well said. Also if I remember correctly the member who downsized did so with the purpose of making more power to the more boost friendly I4. Not to go stock and gain mpg's or save on the cost of a tranny job.

I don't see how it would be cheaper to swap engins even if you can get the parts dirt cheap vs swapping trannys. But in any case being that I have done a 4 to 6 swap myself I can say that it's alot of work all the mounts fall into place on to the body except for the rear, the rear frame has to be swapped out and 2 pieces of metal have to be removed from the body's structure in addition to that the 2 bolts that go thru those metal pieces have to be removed and shorter ones have to be welded into place. Take into conciteration that the dash has to be removed to swap harnesses. Not worth the time and effort vs just doing a trans swap!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    IIRC
    Sorry for off topic but wth does this mean? lol

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Iirc if I remember correctly
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    it would be much cheaper to buy a 4 cylinder galant. I find them around me for 2-3k

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    it would be much cheaper to buy a 4 cylinder galant. I find them around me for 2-3k

oh ok .. the complete swap would cost me no more than 350$...i would be doin all the work

Hope you have a welder and know how to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by djikonatx View Post
    oh ok .. the complete swap would cost me no more than 350$...i would be doin all the work
    Hope this includes the wiring harness and ecu. Don't break the airbags when removing the dash either xD

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

i still don't understand how it is cheaper to swap an engine in order to fix your transmission problems. once you complete the engine swap, you will still have transmission problems AND your new i4 engine will now not mate up to your old v6 transmission. am i missing something?

Have ou even tried getting a 6g72 transmission at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    i still don't understand how it is cheaper to swap an engine in order to fix your transmission problems. once you complete the engine swap, you will still have transmission problems AND your new i4 engine will now not mate up to your old v6 transmission. am i missing something?
    Your fine it's the noob that's missing something. Lol

If all that costs 350 what does a v6 trans cost?

Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
    Your fine it's the noob that's missing something. Lol

If all that costs 350 what does a v6 trans cost?
    Noob ????? well only in galants kind of... ive already swaped out plenty of trannys on galants and such ... IM an EVO 8 guy..Let me clarify somethings real quick .. the only reason i asked this question is beacause yes i can get everything from ecu longblock wiring harness ,everything crazy cheap with warranty... the reason i dont just want to replace just the tranny is beacause i keep hearing and seeing what POS trannys these are , and beacause to get it rebuild is around 1200-1500... so would i rather pay about 350 or would i pay 1500 on this car that i really dont care about more than my EVO...

"My Evo!! My Evo!! I much rather take a shot in the dark swapping 2 completely different motors because my Evo is so pretty! I just love my EVO!"

They just told you its not as easy as it sounds, faBrication including cutting and welding is needed, if you can pick up an engine and tranny complete with harness and ecu for $350 then a V6 tranny alone should be much cheaper.

Still doesn't make sence if you really don't care for the pos car than why would you not just swap trannys and call it a day then go thru that extent of a conversion plus fabrication! Clarify that!
    Do you even know what parts you need to do the conversion or what's involved? Did you know that the v6 5 speed trans internals are pretty much the same as the evo's. You'd be better off making it a 5speed and call it a day...

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    "My Evo!! My Evo!! I much rather take a shot in the dark swapping 2 completely different motors because my Evo is so pretty! I just love my EVO!"

They just told you its not as easy as it sounds, faBrication including cutting and welding is needed, if you can pick up an engine and tranny complete with harness and ecu for $350 then a V6 tranny alone should be much cheaper.
    Lmao got to luv these evo guys...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast