The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: is making my 2001 v6 galant into a i4 difficult?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 46
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    "My Evo!! My Evo!! I much rather take a shot in the dark swapping 2 completely different motors because my Evo is so pretty! I just love my EVO!"

They just told you its not as easy as it sounds, faBrication including cutting and welding is needed, if you can pick up an engine and tranny complete with harness and ecu for $350 then a V6 tranny alone should be much cheaper.

LOL whos all MY EVO MY EVO??? LOL.... im just saying i rather spend more than 1k on my evo than my galant .... how hard is that to understand... and ive checked everywhere about the v6 trannys and they arent cheap....and who is saying i want to swap 2 completely different engines in the dark ?????? THATS WHY IM ASKING THE QUESTION HERE....

I think he needs an example with Evo's.

This is like me going to an evo forum with my precious little Evo and a bad tranny to ask (because in my wonderland it's cheaper) if it were possible to pull the 4g63 and drop in a 6g72 w/ tranny because my local yard is selling them like hotcakes...then you stumbled upon this thread I made.

You'll ask yourself (I think) how is it cheapper to do all the fabwork plus parts, than to just get a used 5spd at a yard or the classifieds?

Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
    Still doesn't make sence if you really don't care for the pos car than why would you not just swap trannys and call it a day then go thru that extent of a conversion plus fabrication! Clarify that!
    Do you even know what parts you need to do the conversion or what's involved? Did you know that the v6 5 speed trans internals are pretty much the same as the evo's. You'd be better off making it a 5speed and call it a day...

THIS IS WHY I ASKED THIS QUESTION IN THE FIRST PLACE . NO one saud imma go along with it (fabricating and such)))... i just asked to see if it was a direct swap so that i would go ahead and do it..... And yes i would know the parts needed to make the conversion.... I should have asked , WIll a i4 galant swap right in to my v6 galant without fabrication???? mannnn.. that way it wouldve been a YES OR NO ANSWER...

HOW much would you think ill be spending in making it a 5sp???

Considering how many five speed swaps I've seen from the guys with 6G72/6G74/6G75 builds on TGC...obviously you're not looking hard enough for good deals. lol

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I think he needs an example with Evo's.

This is like me going to an evo forum with my precious little Evo and a bad tranny to ask (because in my wonderland it's cheaper) if it were possible to pull the 4g63 and drop in a 6g72 w/ tranny because my local yard is selling them like hotcakes...then you stumbled upon this thread I made.

You'll ask yourself (I think) how is it cheapper to do all the fabwork plus parts, than to just get a used 5spd at a yard or the classifieds?
    Made no sense LOL.. 4g63 vs. 6g72 lol common try a little harder maybe i should just put a big as$ wing on my galant and call it fast lol

YOu went from a simple yes or no type question and made it like i m trying to debate weather or not you are right.JUst relax man braethhh...lol mannnn maybe i should just put a big as$ WING with an evo looking hood and say im cool lol;

Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    Considering how many five speed swaps I've seen from the guys with 6G72/6G74/6G75 builds on TGC...obviously you're not looking hard enough for good deals. lol
    truth is i really havent looked into making it a 5sp.... so once again i ask why are people so jumpy here . im here to learn . not to argue.. why are people here so MAKES NO SENSE...BLAH BLAH BLAH... Just asking for advice here. a simple answer wouldve been , Hey i think you should look into swapping into a 5 speed. Simple as that

Quote Originally Posted by djikonatx View Post
    THIS IS WHY I ASKED THIS QUESTION IN THE FIRST PLACE . NO one saud imma go along with it (fabricating and such)))... i just asked to see if it was a direct swap so that i would go ahead and do it..... And yes i would know the parts needed to make the conversion.... I should have asked , WIll a i4 galant swap right in to my v6 galant without fabrication???? mannnn.. that way it wouldve been a YES OR NO ANSWER...

HOW much would you think ill be spending in making it a 5sp???
    You should be the one telling me how much it would cost to make it a 5 speed seeing how you can get things so cheap! As a matter of fact there's prob more than a few people around here looking for parts to do the swap mind sharing the wealth?

Dude, you're the only one worked up here.

You've already been told that it's no easy task to go from 6G72 to 4G64, let alone doing a subframe swap, the electronic wiring nightmare, and that the 6G72's trans does not work with the 4G64...

Look into the five speed swaps, and if it's any help, look into the 3rd gen Eclipses as well. They're identical mechanically speaking (engines, trans, brakes, suspension, etc)

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

truth is i really havent looked into making it a 5sp.... so once again i ask why are people so jumpy here . im here to learn . not to argue.. why are people here so MAKES NO SENSE...BLAH BLAH BLAH... Just asking for advice here. a simple answer wouldve been , Hey i think you should look into swapping into a 5 speed. Simple as that
    That was said in the fourth post!

Your best bet is making it 5 speed price can range from 400-1500+ depending on if your using all used parts or upgrading the important stuff like clutch/fly ss lines etc. If your trying to make it fast as well there is some good threads on here about swapping to a bigger displacement. Evos are cool but every one knows there fast ..cant say the same about a US G.

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    will be more trouble than the car is worth to go from stock v6 to stock i4 or vice versa. the 2 engines (6g72 and 4g64) do not fit the same or use the same mounts and there is also sub chassis fabrication required to swap. most cost effective would be to swap another v6 but if you are having tranny issues, why not fix the tranny or convert to 5 speed?
    OP, it was said earlier in the thread that it would not be a wise decision to do the swap because it would not be practical.

Let's ease off the guy, he was asking a valid question. To him, the car is foreign because he's not too well familiar with it, the same way when someone joins a car forum before they purchase the car the forum belongs to.

^^^ Ok, Carl. Because you asked nicely.

EvoGuy, You can try searching for parts from other cars, like Sebring or most go to 3G eclipse. I'll say if the 8th Gen Galant doesn't share mechanical parts with at least 2-3 cars it doesn't share them with any. Ask your local yard for eclipse 5spd parts and do it yourself, its really worth the swap from what I hear.

i don't know how much more concise my first answer to your question could have been.

I have been thinking about doing this swap as well. For other reasons though. I have an auto 6g72 and have been contemplating swapping to a 4g64 5 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by amaru7 View Post
    I have been thinking about doing this swap as well. For other reasons though. I have an auto 6g72 and have been contemplating swapping to a 4g64 5 speed.
    You can just swap a 5spd for the V6 from a 3G eclipse and be done.

Quote Originally Posted by amaru7 View Post
    You can just swap a 5spd for the V6 from a 3G eclipse and be done.

It can be done, it has been done, but it's simply not worth it. You are into a world of headache and moneydumping. If you want an evo powered galant, sell your car and buy an i4. If you just want manual, see the advice above.

Just buy my car. It's already 5speed V6
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    Just buy my car. It's already 5speed V6
    This! Hell of a deal! --^

I'm still undecided about what I'm going to do. I spent about an hour yesterday taking the engine apart and I have probably another 15 minutes of work left until both heads are off. Then I'll be able to see exactly what's damaged. There's an extremely slim chance that all it needs are head gaskets and I'll be good. At that point I'll look at just a 5 speed swap. Otherwise I think I'd still prefer a 4g64. My dash has to come out anyways so I can work on the heater housing, so I'll have the harness exposed. I found a 4g64 8g salvage car here in Vegas for $400 that was in a rear end collision. So I can swap literally everything over. The 4g64 just seems better all around. And for anyone that'll say I should just scrap it and buy a 4 cylinder 8g, I agree with you. I understand that's a better option, and easier one, but it's a sentimental thing for me. I refuse to let this car die.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast