The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: LED Dome/Map Lights

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

LED Dome/Map Lights

So I've been thinking about getting some brigher/whiter LEDs for my map lights, and a blue LED for the dome behind the sunroof. So my question is, how do I open up the map lights without breaking something? The owners manual tells me how to open the dome, but for the 2 map lights it says have a "mitsubishi professional do it", f that lol. Also, does anyone have any suggestion on a particular brand? and has anyone else done it? is it worth it?

Also if it works out and I like it, i'll prob do the trunk, too. they're cheap enough to do

Not many of us here are too familiar with the 9g. Posting a picture will def help us help you out.

For the dome, I believe there should be an indent somewhere along the side of the dome light where you can get your fingernail or screwdriver in there to pry it out, which would expose the bulb. The same should go for the map lights. Thats just a guess, like I said post a pic.

For brands, people usually go to superbrightleds.com for bulbs. You can go to ebay as well. With the ebay ones, its hit or miss. You get a good set or you dont.

yeah the dome is easy, but there's no visible indent on the map lights, i'll take a pic and post it tonight

No sunroof just pull do the whole assembly

does anyone know the sizes of the bulbs for the map reading lights & the dome? all I can find a size for is the dome, and the size i keep finding is wrong. Everywhere I look it says DE3175, so i got a 3175 replacement for the dome, and it's waaaaay smaller then the actual bulb, it doesn't fit at all! Is the 3175 for the map lights maybe?

Look in your owners manual. If not there, try sylvanias bulb guide.

the manual just says the watts. and i did check the sylvanias guide at Pep Boys, but it's not the right bulb

i have a feeling the 3175 is for the map lights, not the dome. i haven't opened the map lights to look yet
    Last edited by JesterheadGTS; 01-17-2012 at 12:29 PM

i went back to Pep Boys and compared my bulb to the rest, the standard bulb size of 6411 is exactly the same size as the dome bulb from the car, in case anyone is interested themselves. So i will be ordering an LED replacement of that off superbrightleds.com. right now i have a gel sleeve over it which at least gives the color look i wanted, but it dims it a bit.

Ive replaced those lights, ill get some pics of how to pull it apart tonight when i finish work :D
    Aussie 380 GT: 20s, full zorst, Brakes, Interior

Mines are 2 194 for the front map and 39mm fustoon bulb for the center dome.

Icon4

im having some trouble with this as well
    so how did u get the map lights out and what size bulb dose it take ?

same question here! i would like to change the map light to LED too, but have no idea how to take it out :'(

Since I have replaced my map and dome lights, I know just what to do, on the 9G at least.
    First, make sure you have the right bulbs
    map light bulbs: 194 works perfectly, you can find them on ebay for less then $10
    dome light bulb: the 6411 bulb does work (I have it), although it isn't exactly as long as the factory
    To remove map lights:
    1. There are 2 clips up front near each corner of the housing (yes, you have to bring the whole housing down), so you must put your hands there and try to get a good grip on it
    2. Carefully but firmly, pull down the front part of the housing with your fingers, it'll snap loose perfectly
    3. Ok, now the back part, same as the front part, 2 clips near each corner, pull down
    4. When it snaps loose and is just dangling there by the wire, disconnect the wire from the connector
    5. Now, you'll need a pretty small screwdriver, or something small but tough enough to gently push down on either side of the old light, it should pop out, now do the other side and the whole piece should come out
    6. Just take out the old bulb, pull straight out, be careful, it might be hot
    7. Then put in new bulb (the one I got was too big to go through the hole, so what I had to do was put the black housing for the bulb back in, then carefully put the new bulb in while the black housing is already back where it belongs, and this is kinda tricky because you gotta squeeze your fingers in that little hole while holding on to the new bulb and putting it in, if it slips out of your fingers and falls into the plastic area and gets stuck, just kinda hit your hand on the map light housing and it should break free)
    8. For the other side, just repeat steps 5-7
    9. Before you put the whole housing back in, plug the wires back into the connector and while just holding it, check to make sure your LED's are working (if not, just flip them the other way and they should work)
    10. Putting the housing back in is easy, just make sure it's lined up and kinda hit it in, gently, of course.

Now, for the dome light:
    1. to take out the dome light housing, get a grip around the sides, maybe slightly towards the back, then carefully pull down, it should give in quite easily
    2. Now, you need to disconnect the wires from the connector
    3. Next you gotta take off the plastic cover so you can get to the dome light
    4. In the middle of the housing towards the front where the button is to push in to turn on the light, there is a tab, this is where I had the most trouble, you need to push outwards on that tab to get it to snap off the whole plastic cover
    5. Finally, take out the old bulb and replace it with the new bulb, make sure it's facing towards the open cover
    6. After you install the light, to make sure it's completing the circuit plug the wires back into the connector, and see if she glows (if not, just flip it around)
    7. Now put the plastic cover back on and the tab side goes where the little spring button is, it should snap right in
    8. Then, just make sure it's lined up and gently push up on the dome light housing and it should go right in

Hope this helps anyone wanting LED map lights and LED dome lights in their 9G Galant.

Super fast shiiping and no hot spots I have leds in all interior lights even cig lighter and ac controls go to ledwholesalers.com

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by #1GALANTFAN View Post
    Now, for the dome light:
    1. to take out the dome light housing, get a grip around the sides, maybe slightly towards the back, then carefully pull down, it should give in quite easily
    2. Now, you need to disconnect the wires from the connector
    3. Next you gotta take off the plastic cover so you can get to the dome light
    4. In the middle of the housing towards the front where the button is to push in to turn on the light, there is a tab, this is where I had the most trouble, you need to push outwards on that tab to get it to snap off the whole plastic cover
    5. Finally, take out the old bulb and replace it with the new bulb, make sure it's facing towards the open cover
    6. After you install the light, to make sure it's completing the circuit plug the wires back into the connector, and see if she glows (if not, just flip it around)
    7. Now put the plastic cover back on and the tab side goes where the little spring button is, it should snap right in
    8. Then, just make sure it's lined up and gently push up on the dome light housing and it should go right in

Hope this helps anyone wanting LED map lights and LED dome lights in their 9G Galant.
    the dome light is a lot easier, you DON'T need to take the whole housing out, the lens pops right out. just take a small flat head and there should be a little indent in the lens, put the flat head in and pop it off. the owners manual actually tells you how to for the dome light.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterheadGTS View Post
    the dome light is a lot easier, you DON'T need to take the whole housing out, the lens pops right out. just take a small flat head and there should be a little indent in the lens, put the flat head in and pop it off. the owners manual actually tells you how to for the dome light.
    Oops! Oh well, that's just how I did it lol. Still wasn't as hard as the map lights imo.

Its all good I took the whole thing out a soldered my leds in.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Hey guys, sorry dont mean to bring up a dead old topic but I just wanted to post pictures of the map lights with bluetooth,
    See marked in red the clip locations.

Last edited by 12GaugeMule; 10-13-2015 at 08:18 PM