The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Blown Engine!

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Blown Engine!

Well, My DOHC swap plans are on hold while I install a new engine in my Galant. Was driving to work last week and heard a *knock knock knock* *BANG*, then the lovely sound of parts hitting the street. All of it happened in about 3 seconds, before I could shut down and pull over. I was doing about 30MPH, about 3k RPM. Found out after the engine was out that it has been replaced before, and there was only 5 bolts holding the flywheel on. Now for the pics!

Parts I found on the road right after it happened..knew the engine was screwed then.

Rod, Part of the piston is above it, and the bearings and rod bolt.

The hole that got punched in the front of the block.

The hole in the back of the block.

As she sits now, waiting for the new engine..

Damn! Such awful carnage. Hope you get it back at 100% soon.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Experienced TGC Member
    Thats very odd, Is this car boosted? Did it look like it was lacking oil or something? I threw a rod in that same exact spot in my gf's car but i was exceeding 30 PSI without knowing it.. Anyways, good luck. Where are u from? I know here in SC the PNP sells the whole bottom end for 100 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    Thats very odd, Is this car boosted? Did it look like it was lacking oil or something? I threw a rod in that same exact spot in my gf's car but i was exceeding 30 PSI without knowing it.. Anyways, good luck. Where are u from? I know here in SC the PNP sells the whole bottom end for 100 bucks.
    Sadly, the car wasn't boosted. We drained 4.5 quarts of oil out of it when we pulled the engine. I just recently bought the car, god only knows what the prior owners did. Flywheel only had 5 bolts on it, so that tells me someone messed with it. I'm from South Bend, IN. Drove up to Detriot last week to grab an engine, supposedly from a 98 with 92k miles. They guarantee the engine for 4 months. I'm doing the timing belt, water pump, and BS delete while the engine is out, just for peace of mind.

Sorry to see, hope everything goes well.

Jedi iRevo
    man thats awful somthing simalar happend to me i had take it to get an oil change at a shop (to lazy to do it that time) then im driving hear some knocks and the car turned off on me, sadly because the prior owner had done some changes to the engine i had to replace the flywheel twice.

even duct tape ain't gonna fix that
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL