The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6g74 galant needs help! car running rough and stalling at times..

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    clebrowns88

Icon4 6g74 galant needs help! car running rough and stalling at times..

hey everyone, i just bought a 99 galant 6g74, has 97 diamante 6g74. its running rough and smell gas fumes. it stalls out at times when at a stop. Check engine light reads a p0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow and a p0125 Insufficient Coolant Temp for Closed Loop Fuel Control Code. Does anyone know if the 97 6g74 differ in ANY way from the 98+ 6g74's? the guy i bought it from said he had to splice some wires when he installed the engine but it should have plugged right up. EGR VALVE, Solenoid have been replaced, the tubes were hooked up backwards for a couple months that connect to the EGR valve. could this have caused the car to get 10mpg and run like crap? He says it has been narrowed down to a wiring issue, maybe a bad o2 sensor.

Any suggestions? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

Check for Vac leaks, I had a p0400 code for awhile due to a crack intake mani, but I'm 4cyl, as for the other code, does the temp guages read properly

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    MODS

5 speed swap
    Eibach Pro Kit on GR2 Struts
    Cold Air Intake
    Outlander Intake Manifold
    6G72 V6 Throttle Body
    6G72 V6 Fuel Pump
    Axle Back Exhaust (ebay)
    Evo Fuel Rail
    Evo Radiator
    Rear Disc Swap
    Prothane Motor Mount Inserts

im getting 25mpg city and 30mpg highway untuned!!!

is your egr tube in one piece? on the v6's i see they break quite often.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

clebrowns88
    Im considering taking it to a shop and spending the $90 and having a smoke machine hooked up to it to check for leaks. He swears he looked over the vacuum plumbing and wiring 6 times, and had another person look over them and he couldnt find anything wrong.

Where abouts would the egr tube be at? connected to the egr valve im assuming?
    thanks for the replys, also i got a tactrix 2.0 openport today, if there is anything i can do with that to help calm the engine down please let me know, ive never tuned a ecu before. i know a little bit about it.

There should be some v6 gurus to help you later today!

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

Well it would be difficult to say since there isn't anyone who can say what they rewired and spliced where.

The egr tube is located on the back of the intake plenum and connects to the rear exhaust manifold. All that would really do though is cause an exhaust leak if it was broken though. However, if the EGR has the vacuum hooked up for always open, it would idle rough. I'll add the vacuum diagram here for you.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Hope this helps.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

clebrowns88
    Great thanks for the diagram, is it possible to inspect the lines that go to the charcoal canister without taking off the gas tank? What do you guys think about a bad fuel pressure regulator?

hey guys, i just have a couple of questions that need to be answer. i need to know what are the best spark plugs for my 2000 mit. galant. i recently put NGK on it,but it feels as if the autolite did a better job. i feel my car slower to pick up speed.please help.also whats the best oil,and oil filter to go with it.
    -Brian

Noooooobs

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    ^ Lmaoo
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by Brian38 View Post
    hey guys, i just have a couple of questions that need to be answer. i need to know what are the best spark plugs for my 2000 mit. galant. i recently put NGK on it,but it feels as if the autolite did a better job. i feel my car slower to pick up speed.please help.also whats the best oil,and oil filter to go with it.
    V6= NGK platinum
    I4= regular NGK
    Oil= any oil filter.
    Less than 100k 5w-30
    More than 125k 10w-30
    Mobil one or amsoil. I use amsoil with no problem.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built