The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: clear coating brembo caliper

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

clear coating brembo caliper

So im in the process of repainting my brembo. My question is will brake fluid or brake cleaner eat or discolor the clear coat when I install and bleed the calipers?. I will be using clear engine enamel.

Brake fluid will eat away paint. When you bleed them, just hook up some extra vac or boost line to the bleeder valves, so you don't get fluid everywhere.
    Here is some info
    "Brake fluid, particularly DOT3 and DOT4, can eat away at your car's paint. Eventually, the paint tainted by the brake fluid will flake off from the vehicle and then give rust a chance to attack the body of your car!
    However, DOT5 will not eat paint ( DOT5.1 will).

One particular ingridient of brake fluid is the Polyethylene glycol, which is also found in some solvents, is very corrosive to paint."
    Last edited by Galantman03; 01-30-2012 at 08:01 PM

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    However, DOT5 will not eat paint ( DOT5.1 will).

One particular ingridient of brake fluid is the Polyethylene glycol, which is also found in some solvents, is very corrosive to paint."
    I was gonna say, the DOT5 we use at work on the air-over-hydraulic friction brake system on the older trains eats the hell outta that paint, when they tear down the actuators that engage the brake calipers they let 'em soak in their own DOT5 so the paint comes off easier in the hot tanks.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    I was gonna say, the DOT5 we use at work on the air-over-hydraulic friction brake system on the older trains eats the hell outta that paint, when they tear down the actuators that engage the brake calipers they let 'em soak in their own DOT5 so the paint comes off easier in the hot tanks.
    Dang lol. From personal experience and just common sense, I would not let anything that is solvent based or has a solvent in it touch the paint on the car(unless it is for paint care) I had some DOT 3 fluid I use in my $3k mountain bike get all over the rear end links of my bike, and it made the anodized paint dissolve off. I was beyind pissed.

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Oh I feel you, when I'm just changing pads I go the distance and put down hella rags around the reservoir in case any spills out.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Brake cleaner safe on clear coat?

car soap and water is all you need.