The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Purchasing a JDM Galant/Legnum... Advice anyone?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Purchasing a JDM Galant/Legnum... Advice anyone?

Ok so I own an 8g but its income tax season so I said what the heavens I'm skipping a bunch of countries n continents n I'm going for a JDM Galant. I fell in love witht them, as I'm sure most of yall have as well, at first sight. Giving my car to my moms so I'm strongly suggesting shipping one here. Now my question is why shouldn't I? I need some help and tips on purchasing one that's just right! I mean anything will be of big help. I mean I need pros n cons for owning one. Some experienced help would be strongly appreciated! Ive been looking for all sorts of quotes so far n everything looks about my price range including price, insurance, shipping, etc... I've been looking at www.tradecarview.com as my main reference. I'm also looking at the legnum as well but I'm in a bind. Don't really want to go for the USDM I would like a change every time I step out the door and actually get in the passenger side for a change if you know what I mean! Again any help would be appreciated

the biggest con i can think of is sourcing parts if something breaks.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Here's some things to think about when shipping a vehicle:

budget:how much does the car cost? whats the exchange rate? how much do you need to ship from that country?
    Taxes-import/export. You need to figure out the price of the vehicle, shipping and taxes.
    The Vehicle: the condition of the car. From pictures, you cant tell every detail of damages, if any. You cant tell if the motor is running properly and stuff.
    Registration:Can the vehicle be registered in your state? If so, what do you need to know to register it? If it cant, what do you need to do to make it comply with state regulations and registerable?

I, by no means am an expert, in any ways. I simply just typed the first things that came to my mind. I hope to have helped in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by underated View Post
    the biggest con i can think of is sourcing parts if something breaks.
    Yea for that reason I've been thinking of gettin one with the lowest km just to MAYBE decrease the risk of fixing it if for any reason I need to any time soon..... But that's risking it regardless. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carl3g View Post
    Here's some things to think about when shipping a vehicle:

budget:how much does the car cost? whats the exchange rate? how much do you need to ship from that country?
    Taxes-import/export. You need to figure out the price of the vehicle, shipping and taxes.
    The Vehicle: the condition of the car. From pictures, you cant tell every detail of damages, if any. You cant tell if the motor is running properly and stuff.
    Registration:Can the vehicle be registered in your state? If so, what do you need to know to register it? If it cant, what do you need to do to make it comply with state regulations and registerable?

I, by no means am an expert, in any ways. I simply just typed the first things that came to my mind. I hope to have helped in some way.
    Are there any websites or anything that I can look this up if I can register it if I can't for any reason?

Think a lot has been covered above, but couple of things to note - headlights will need modding for cut off and the other thing is my age old gripe! That is, 8G (except USDM) has front suspension similar to 7G. While the multi-link maybe technically superior it is prone to fail at the lower swivels (there was indeed a recall) The USDM market got the Strut type which alleviated this problem. Only thing is of course, I do understand the US never got a legnum version.

There are no Galant or Legnums in the approved import list. Best bet is to first contact a importer and see what the rules and restrictions actually are. Then your next step is to contact the EPA for local testing requirements for emissions testing. Then you need to contact the DOT and US Customs to get it on the 'Approved Importation List'.

It will be a long road, but worth it if you can stick it out.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Then your next step is to contact the EPA for local testing requirements for emissions testing. Then you need to contact the DOT and US Customs to get it on the 'Approved Importation List'.
    OH YEAH^In order to have everything done LEGALLY, you have to have a registered importer look at the crash requirements, which means your going to have to crash a car or multiples, UNLESS you can prove that the jdm version is the same structurally (minus the 5mph crash bars on the front and rear) as the usdm version, which we all know most of it is the same except for the suspension. And then there is the smog issue, it has to be done to meet federal standards. It's a pain, but it is well worth it in my opinions... And there are other ways that you can get around all this, but they are illegal, and if you get caught, they export your vehicle and fine you.
    I used this website alot, when I was serious about doing it
    http://jdmvip.com/articles-2

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

There is a huge dilemma here. I don't believe you can import one of these unless you go through an "importer" if that makes any sense. I believe there is a ton of paper work involved and may not be able to make it a legal car. I think the member that did import one, had to import one that was wrecked so he could import it as a "parts car" and register it as a rebuilt car.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    OH YEAH^In order to have everything done LEGALLY, you have to have a registered importer look at the crash requirements, which means your going to have to crash a car or multiples, UNLESS you can prove that the jdm version is the same structurally (minus the 5mph crash bars on the front and rear) as the usdm version, which we all know most of it is the same except for the suspension. And then there is the smog issue, it has to be done to meet federal standards. It's a pain, but it is well worth it in my opinions... And there are other ways that you can get around all this, but they are illegal, and if you get caught, they export your vehicle and fine you.
    I used this website alot, when I was serious about doing it
    http://jdmvip.com/articles-2
    A end consumer importing a single vehicle doesn't require crash testing. Best bet if you want to avoid a lot of emissions red tape is get yourself a 1996 8g Legnum or Galant.

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    There is a huge dilemma here. I don't believe you can import one of these unless you go through an "importer" if that makes any sense. I believe there is a ton of paper work involved and may not be able to make it a legal car. I think the member that did import one, had to import one that was wrecked so he could import it as a "parts car" and register it as a rebuilt car.
    You need an importer to help you handle the legality and paperwork yes, it costs money too. In all I figured I would be out of pocket about $10,000 with out a car in hand for six months or more. And that's if they let it pass. When people import cars, they are often shipped dismantled, and then require another party to be involved to take apart, and another to reassemble the vehicle.

If the car is shipped dismantled, then put back together here, it may be allowed to be registered as a kit car. But, do your legwork first, it is very important. Past that, there are other rules regarding rarity of vehicles, and there significance to a given manufacturer. In this case the VR4 would have the best chance, because it was the first Mitsubishi sold with active yaw control (ayc), the only Galant that also had a host of other technological goodies that at that time even the Lancer Evolution did not have.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Good info!

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

The blue legnum is for sale for 10k lol. You can take it my ute is $1500 away from completion yay.. Would love you guys to enjoy the legnums as well I will gladly ship you guys bare shells and parts any day just pm me lol
    www.qcustoms.co.nz