The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: new guy with galant issues, go figure.

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    Banned

new guy with galant issues, go figure.

hey guys, im eric.. i have a 1999 es that hasnt let me down since ive owned it for just over a year...

i was planning on selling it, but id never get what i paid for it.. or what i put into it, so ill just hold onto it and go ahead and make some repairs on it that i wasnt planning to make originally..

1) upper socket for rack&pinnion (play)
    2) horn/cruise control not working (srs) light
    3) no hot air, vent selection INOP , fresh air/ac buttons INOP
    4) valvetrain (ticks)

anyone ever transplant sunroof onto regular hardtop?

Welcome to TGC|
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Welcome to TGC! Check fuses for issues with the whole HVAC not working, even when my heat went out, the fan would work and all that. If only max was working that'd be the resistor. For the horn/srs light, fuses and/or clockspring or other wiring, I've never had to work on any of that. Hope this helps some.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Welcome to TGC. for the horn issue its more than likely your clock spring

Welcome to TGC!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Welcome to TGC!!
    ty,, those eclipse wheels fit good? how much do a used set of those usually go for... i cant stand running hub-caps.. i was thinking about throwing some old BMW wheels on it.. seing how im a bmw guy

Any Eclipse wheel fit no problem, in fact those are the OEM wheels from my 3G. You can find them on craigslist between $200-$400 depending on wheel/tire condition.

Banned
    thanx! the play and road noise is getting bad... very bad gas milage and extreme tire wear.. i gotta get on this asap..

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ES View Post
    ... i was thinking about throwing some old BMW wheels on it.. seing how im a bmw guy
    BMW wheels won't fit unless they are 5x114.3 (USDM 8G bolt pattern), most BMW's are 5x120 right?

I never worked on my rack and inion but when I did have play it was from my tie rods, and my ball joints, check those out. As for the tick I had it. But do this first before you think u need new lifters get all gaskets for you valve cover. Cover gasket, pcv gasket, all spark plug cylinder gaskets, and new oild cap gasket I changed all that and one lifter on my exhuast side (but don't worry about the lifter yet) and my tick went away. So if u have black debris around your valve cover its prob letting air in which is also a cause of lifter tick.

thanx! the play and road noise is getting bad... very bad gas milage and extreme tire wear.. i gotta get on this asap..
    You let those known problems go on for 6 months? Yikes. Glad it didn't break down on you.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    BMW wheels won't fit unless they are 5x114.3 (USDM 8G bolt pattern), most BMW's are 5x120 right?
    Yes, all BMW are 5x120.

hey guys, im eric.. i have a 1999 es that hasnt let me down since ive owned it for just over a year...

i was planning on selling it, but id never get what i paid for it.. or what i put into it, so ill just hold onto it and go ahead and make some repairs on it that i wasnt planning to make originally..

1) upper socket for rack&pinnion (play)
    2) horn/cruise control not working (srs) light
    3) no hot air, vent selection INOP , fresh air/ac buttons INOP
    4) valvetrain (ticks)

anyone ever transplant sunroof onto regular hardtop?
    1) net with a new rack and pinion, or at least one that is remanufactured.
    2) check the fuses first.
    3) could also, besides fuses, be the heater control valve actuator, very common failing on these cars.
    4) make sure you have adequate oil in the car first...lol. then you can suspect things like lifters. It could even be the type of oil you are using.

Mine ticked for a short while after I did my head gasket but agent away after my first oil change ( plus I had to tighten down valve cover some more one bolt worked its way loose). Welcome to the club you will soon be hooked once you start reading the forums :)

Welcome to TGC :)