The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: what engine should i use?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    TGC Regular

what engine should i use?

i have a 1992 galant. i was wondering what would be the best replacement engine. i was think an eclipse gsx. i forget the year but it has a 2.0, dual overhead cam, and turbo. would this be a good choice? is there a bigger engine i could fit in it? maybe a 2.3. so i guess my question is, should i just go with the eclipse engine or is there another eclipse or another car with a bigger engine that has dull overhead cam and is turbo?

thanks

4g63t is the best u can do, i have a 95 and i did a 4g63t swap going from 2.4L to 2.0 but i have 300hp now

talontd
    There is a better swap you can get.... it's the 4G63T from a lancer Evo....
    you'll be getting 280hp stock....

good luck finding one and finding a tech that knows what's he's doing too

TGC Regular
    what year lancer evolution should i use? and where could i find one?

talontd
    I would suggest the Evo III
    but it's gonna be $$$

check out the 1/2 cuts

http://www.streetimports.com/homepage.htm

TGC Regular
    thanks!

TGC Regular
    what would be the top hp i could possibly get out of it and what would i initailly get?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proud Galant Driver)</div><div class='quotemain'>what would be the top hp i could possibly get out of it and what would i initailly get?</div>

roughly 250-280 depending on a few things. Getting that motor alone will be around 4-5k for all that invest in a 18g or up turbo or something......confusion is catchy

Prolab
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>There is a better swap you can get.... it's the 4G63T from a lancer Evo.... Â*
    you'll be getting 280hp stock.... Â*

</div>

-It doesnt necesseraly have to be an EVO III. It'll cost u $$$. Just grab a JDM VR4 engine or even a 4G63T engine from a wrecked TEL's. Mate it with a turbo FWD.

B176969
    ok one of a few things you were talking about a gsx engine thats setup for AWD so go with a GS-t engine. but to tell you me personally i am going with a i think it is a 1st gen eclipse engine. all i know is i am getting it from japan and it pushes somewhere around 220hp turbo'd. and it is only going to cost me less than a grand. so go with what you want. but if you want it easy go with something that has the exact engine brackets as yours like an eclipse does to my 90 galant.

Brandon

1990 galant white
    18"white motegie m7
    shortram intake
    obx exhaust

and in 2 months tripleing the hp!!!!!

Prolab
    just to let u guys know, the engine on a GSX and a GST is the same. Its just different on the generation. 1G's are 6 bolt motor and 2G's are 7 bolt.

If someone or a shop tells you anything less, i recommend going somewhere else.

orangbaligila
    4G63T for sure fit,... don't forget to get it's ECU as well,... or fit a custom one (Autronic like mine)

for a shocking swap,... a twin turbo V-6 from a GTO (3000GT) will do,... but with extensive work and $$$

Rasko Da Gama
    Quote Originally Posted by orangbaligila
    4G63T for sure fit,... don't forget to get it's ECU as well,... or fit a custom one (Autronic like mine)

for a shocking swap,... a twin turbo V-6 from a GTO (3000GT) will do,... but with extensive work and $$$
    Does a TT V-6 from GTO fit on engine mounts in 6'th G?

Has this been done already? It should give a hell of a power though

orangbaligila
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasko Da Gama
    Quote Originally Posted by orangbaligila

Does a TT V-6 from GTO fit on engine mounts in 6'th G?

Has this been done already? It should give a hell of a power though

no it will not!! hehe.... that's why i said it need extensive work and $$$
    but it is possible over here,.. we have cheap labour cost, that's a great advantage,.... i said it's possible coz one of my friend swap the N/A 4G63 with a 6A12 last month,... i dunno how exactly was it done, but... it shows there is possibility

ps: base HP for TT V6 is around 280, so it has a lot of room for improvement, the performance mechanic that mod-ed my engine said it has the potential of producing at least 350 HP with the stock internal and tranny ... good start eh?! personally,... i wan't the engine,... but in my 7G easier fit i guess,... but not bad for a 6G either.... hehehehh....

J apmetal
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(orangbaligila)</div><div class='quotemain'> base HP for TT V6 is around 280, ..... the potential of producing at least 350 HP with the stock internal and tranny</div>

I hope it's good for alot more than that - my stock 6-bolt 4G63 [1gen Eclipse, also found in 6G Galants] is good for around 400Bhp on stock internals & transmission.

As regards engine swaps, fit a 6-bolt [pre 95 I think] 4G63T from either an Evo 1,2 or 3, a 1gen or EARLY [only a few ever came out with them in]2gen Eclipse, or an 89-93 Galant VR4. All these cars came with the same engine in them, so regardless of their current power when you fit them [ranging from 220Bhp for a VR4 engine, to 280Bhp from an Evo 3] they all have the same potential for retuning

Incase you dont already know, the 6-bolt/7-bolt engine refers to the crankshaft design, where early engines had 6 bolts securing the flywheel to the crank and later ones had 7 but a weaker design. The reason behind this is known as 'crankwalk' which is too much to detail here, but causes serious problems in later 7-bolt 4G63s.

any FWD tranny'd 4G63T up to 95[or 4G63, which can always be turboed later if you'd prefer to spend time collecting your own 'kit' rather than waste money on a more expensive intially turboed option] should fit straight into your engine bay, mounts, tranny, and all without much hassle [so long as you get a matching ECU, as someone has said] and will give you all the power you can afford for a long time to come

PS; as mentioned, I cant really recall the exact cutoff for the early motors, but the way to tell is to check which side the transmission is mounted - any 4G63 will fit easily, up to the point where they rearranged things and mounted the tranny on the opposite end of the engine !

PLS feel free to correct me if anyone spots any errors in the above !