The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I installed a 01 sebring tranny now im having problems...HELP!!!

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

I installed a 01 sebring tranny now im having problems...HELP!!!

Hi there . so i installed a 2001 sebring 3.0 tranny into my galant and now the engine wont turn..you can hear the starter trying to turn but nothing.. today i took out the starter to see if it would turn and it did. I did notice when i was screwing on the tourque converter bolts it was very hard to turn it when the tranny was completely bolted on to the engine. so im wondering if the tq converter is different or if i should change out the tq converter to the original... please any help!!!!

Did you install and auto or manual tranny?

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Did your transmission go on easy? like did it slip on to the engine studs and bolt holes?

Sounds like you didnt seat the torque converter
    Last edited by Exhaust power; 02-09-2012 at 09:52 AM

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    Did you install and auto or manual tranny?
    it is an auto

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust power View Post
    Did your transmission on go on easy? like did it slip on to the engine studs and bolt holes?

Sounds like you didnt seat the torque converter
    i thought it went on fairly easily. ill unbolt it againg and try adjusting it if thats the case. do you think that i i didnt seat the tourque converter in right ive might of messed something up when i bolted everything on ???

Quote Originally Posted by djikonatx View Post
    i thought it went on fairly easily. ill unbolt it againg and try adjusting it if thats the case. do you think that i i didnt seat the tourque converter in right ive might of messed something up when i bolted everything on ???
    That what im thinking. But usually when the torque converter dosent seat all the way itll stick out further then usually making the transmission not sit flush with the engine. If the transmission mated with the engine with out torquing the bolts then it could be something else.

I cant remember but the torque converter has like 3 or 4 sets of splines to slide down to be perfectly seated. I would be weary about using the same torque converter if it wasnt properly seat when installed..

Assuming the engine turns over fine

When we do manual swaps in our cars, we have to rewire the transmission connector (pins 9 and 10?) of the transmission wiring for our cars to start.

Remember, the sebring / eclipse has the sport shift auto transmission which the Galant does not have. I'm 90% sure you need the eclipse / sebring ecu for the transmission. This could mean your car is not getting the correct connection for it to start up.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

That what im thinking. But usually when the torque converter dosent seat all the way itll stick out further then usually making the transmission not sit flush with the engine. If the transmission mated with the engine with out torquing the bolts then it could be something else.

I cant remember but the torque converter has like 3 or 4 sets of splines to slide down to be perfectly seated. I would be weary about using the same torque converter if it wasnt properly seat when installed..
    Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    Assuming the engine turns over fine

When we do manual swaps in our cars, we have to rewire the transmission connector (pins 9 and 10?) of the transmission wiring for our cars to start.

Remember, the sebring / eclipse has the sport shift auto transmission which the Galant does not have. I'm 90% sure you need the eclipse / sebring ecu for the transmission. This could mean your car is not getting the correct connection for it to start up.

thanks to both of you . ill try getting the ecu of a eclipse or sebring and adjusting the tq converter

quick update ...
    today i loosened up the bolts that hold the tranny to the block AND bamm it started.....

Congratulations. Now does it shift smoothly
    -Dirty South-

They See Me Rollin They Hating -Riding Dirty-
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    It dont smell or anything so F it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhaze View Post
    Congratulations. Now does it shift smoothly
    just took it for a test drive and yes it does. it responses great and shifts smoothly.. thanks for all the help guys

I would tighten those bolts back up lol seriously hope they arent lose .....cant remember the specs for them though.

I would tighten those bolts back up lol seriously hope they arent lose .....cant remember the specs for them though.

lol they are tight .. what i meant to say is that i loosened them up spun the tq converter a couple of times then mated the tranny and block ,then tightened everything back together... thanks though for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by djikonatx View Post
    lol they are tight .. what i meant to say is that i loosened them up spun the tq converter a couple of times then mated the tranny and block ,then tightened everything back together... thanks though for all the help
    O ok ha well thats good. I was about to say your transmission might shake its self lose!.

No problem!