The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wiring Amplifier to Stock Sound System

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Wiring Amplifier to Stock Sound System

I have my sub, amp and wires. I am not changing the head unit out and am just splicing into the speaker wires with a line out converter to the amp.

a) How the hell do I get through the 9g wire harness on the firewall - I really don't want to go through the fender. Maybe another place easier?

b) Whats the best remote/turn on wire to use if I am not changing the head unit?

Much appreciated for any feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by mg09i4 View Post

a) How the hell do I get through the 9g wire harness on the firewall - I really don't want to go through the fender. Maybe another place easier?
    Drill hole, be careful to check and re-check that it is clear of anything on the other side.

b) Whats the best remote/turn on wire to use if I am not changing the head unit?
    Either 12V outlet or the stock radio harness, test the wire the has 12v with the key on and make sure the 12v goes away when the key is off.

sorry - i have been reading so much today, but i dont get what you mean by key on and key off?

Key set to the acc position for 'on'

key to 'off' our out of the ignition for off

is it safe to try on "any" wire? or is there a better or worse wire you recommend? i dont wanna get zapped or short anything

You wont get zapped, use a meter or test light.

I think the wire is a solid blue at the radio harness.

okay so either the radio power or the cig lighter? are those already fused?

Yes they are both on the same fuse. It will probably be easier to do cig lighter because one wire is black and the other is not. Don't use black wire.

ok thanks for all the help! and im still debating on the whole drilling a hole in the firewall vs running it through the fender haha

ok thanks for all the help! and im still debating on the whole drilling a hole in the firewall vs running it through the fender haha
    The reason I push the firewall some much is because, when you have worked at multiple audio shops, there is no debate it's through the firewall no questions asked. If you can't on the driver side then it's of to passenger side, usually the blower motor crowds the passenger side so driver side it is.

heres what high schoolers do around here it works wrap the remote wire around the ignition fuse.win win cause guess what it already fused cause it is a fuse. make sure you sand your grounding points to bare metal or youll be back asking why your lights are dimming.

Set your gains with 1 of the 2 but not 3 or 4
    1. an O-scope(best way hands down)
    2. A DMM
    3. Professionally

4. Not by ear
    5. Not free for all the gain isnt a volume knob
    Last edited by Redhaze; 02-14-2012 at 01:30 AM
    -Dirty South-

They See Me Rollin They Hating -Riding Dirty-
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    It dont smell or anything so F it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhaze View Post
    heres what high schoolers do around here it works wrap the remote wire around the ignition fuse.

No offense Redhaze but...
    I cannot tell you how much I hate seeing Mickey mouse shit like this...even with a fuse tap it isn't secure.

Remote wire doesnt need to be fused, soldering straight to a 12v switch outlet, radio ign wire or the heavy gauge ignition wire under the dash are the cleanest most secure ways to do it.

do you know which wires i should be looking for to tap into? i see about 100 haha.. although there is a fat blue one that looks nice i have no idea what it goes to

You need a test light or multi meter. Test the wires.

just saying but there should be a hole already in your fire wall on the drivers side to the left upper side of the gas pedal

No offense Redhaze but...
    I cannot tell you how much I hate seeing Mickey mouse shit like this...even with a fuse tap it isn't secure.

Remote wire doesnt need to be fused, soldering straight to a 12v switch outlet, radio ign wire or the heavy gauge ignition wire under the dash are the cleanest most secure ways to do it.
    I hate seeing it too lol i was just saying as a quick temporary solution for him.
    make sure you secure the remote wire if your note going to fuse it. because of it comming of off a direct 12v theres nothing to prevent it from making some nice welds in your car. a headunit well usually go into protect mode if it or rcas get a short
    Last edited by Redhaze; 02-14-2012 at 09:18 PM
    -Dirty South-

They See Me Rollin They Hating -Riding Dirty-
    It dont smell or anything so F it.

I really hope he didn't follow this advice... do it the right way get a new head unit. don't under power your amp and don't try and take power from any other speakers. save yourself the headache and spend the extra cash.