The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: problems starting

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

problems starting

Over the last two weeks my 98 ES has occassionally refused to start. When this happens the engine sounds like it is turning over faster than normal. At first I thought maybe I had broken the timing belt as it was turning over so fast. I ended up cranking and cranking it and eventually it starts to catch and tries to fire. I hold the gas pedal to the floor like it is flooded and eventually it starts. Once it starts it stumbles for a bit but gradualy starts running like it should. Once started I can shut it off and it will start right back up. I have a couple of ideas. It could be bad gas as I emptied a 5 gallon gas can that had been sitting around into it a couple of days before this started. It could be water in gas (same 5 gallon gas can) but I have dumped two cans of heat to dry up any water in the tank. It oculd be water in the tank (from that gas can) that freezes up in the gas line and blocks the flow of gas. I am at a loss as to what is causing this. Suggestions on how to diagnosis?
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Faster turning engine can mean one thing (when its not the t-belt missing) - low compression. If you have a compression gauge then get that and start from there. Also, instead of flooring it, try pumping the gas pedal on a cold start.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I think it was the gas. Car is back running right and starting with hardly any cranking of the starter. Got lucky in that it warmed up aound here (Montana) and I was able to empty the gas tank by driving the heck out of it. New full tank of gas and no more starting problems. Kind of strange that the engine appeared to be turning over faster when it would not start.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Maybe the cylinder walls got washed with fuel leading to low compression
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread