The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Spyder 4g64 sohc swap in a 7g?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Icon4 Spyder 4g64 sohc swap in a 7g?

I picked up my first 7g a few days ago. The engine head is trashed, and the bottom end is in unknown condition.

I was looking for used engines in my area, and I have found a 97 Eclipse Spyder with a 4g64 sohc. I know that i will have to swap the 7g distributor onto the Spyder engine.

However, I was thumbing trough the forums and found this thread in the 7g performance section:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=48094

Posey:
    "Hey all. So I pocked up a 99 2.4 eclipse engine for 100$ it's everything down to every last nut and bolt. I figure pretty good deal. He did say the car over heated and turn off. He said after he pulled the mot he got a new head gasket and tried a compression test. Said he got 0 compression dry and it went up a little bit with oil. Um going to have the heads clean and magma fluxed as well. I used curious if the head will work on my galant?"

Also what from this stuff can I use in my DOHC swap?
    DTP:
    "Everything, except for the block and a few other parts. Vaw"
    mko:
    "You can use the crank, pistons and rods, everything else will not work on 7g."
    I may be misunderstanding something... I thought that I used a 7g Galant 4g64 sohc in my 2g Eclipse spyder, but it could have been another Spyder engine. (My supplier may have been confused?) I've also assumed that when the Turbo 2g guys did a 4g64 swap, some of them used the 7g Galant block.

1. Can the 7g sohc Distributer bolt onto the 2g Spyder 4g64 head?
    2. There really isn't any difference in the block, or is there?

I hope that DTP, and mko were just referring to Posey's dohc swap question. or else im screwed.
    96 eclipse rs
    99 spyder gs(sold)
    95 galant es

1. yes
    2. no, no difference what so ever

i thought he was refering to 99 galant engine and thats why i wrote what i did
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    1. yes
    2. no, no difference what so ever

i thought he was refering to 99 galant engine and thats why i wrote what i did
    I was wrong. Go with mko.

If I'm correct the 63 and 64 are mirrored?

Sent from my phone like a boss...
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post
    I was wrong. Go with mko.

If I'm correct the 63 and 64 are mirrored?

Sent from my phone like a boss...
    You're not correct. The 63 and 64 of comparable years are oriented the same way and rotated the same way. A 7g '64 and a 2g DSM '63 are the same minus a few minor changes and deck height. You may be thinking of the 420A (Dodge Neon) motor in a standard NT 2g Eclipse which was on the passenger's side, not the driver's side.

OP, for what it is worth, with your car being OBD2, swapping in a turbo motor and wiring it is pretty straight forward. Just something to consider.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

63 and 64...not the same. But the Spyder came with the same 64 that the galant did. Everything about it is the same

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Eclipsh - I've been following your build on tuners for years! I was gonna get a 2gb Gsx but then I found your project and decided to lean towards the 7g. Gotta love the sleeperesque style!

Mko - Thanks! I've dabbled in the 420a 2g world for years, the 4g6x has always been a want but I was working with the hand I was dealt... You had me scared for a minute there.

Picking up the engine in the morning! Can't wait to get the ground rolling on the G!

Btw, has anyone ever heard of using the 4g69, yes 9, crankshaft in dsm/7g 7bolt block? The evo guys use them from time to time (also technically 7bolts), and the 69 shares the 63's deck height but uses a 78mm bore and longer stroke.

69 crank is also rather light and durable from what I hear, and uses evo 4g63 length rods.
    96 eclipse rs
    99 spyder gs(sold)
    95 galant es

the 69 crank is basically the same as 8g crank. Its a 7 bolt and its not lighter. It has some sort of forging from factory just like 8g crank.

The blocks between 7g and 8g (DSM and EVO) are not mirrored they are flipped. On the other hand, the heads are mirrored
    Last edited by mko; 02-29-2012 at 07:05 PM

Build Thread

Interesting, so a 69 crank is essentially a 8g(post flip) crank? So using one in a 63 would be like a 2.3l stroker?
    Sweet! I guess that free spare I got is of use after all!
    96 eclipse rs
    99 spyder gs(sold)
    95 galant es

yes, but you need stroker pistons.

Build Thread