The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New Member/owner 2002 galant Fort Lauderdale- I need some work done

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Icon6 New Member/owner 2002 galant Fort Lauderdale- I need some work done

Hey Im new to forum from Fort lauderdale. I bought a 2002 galant i4 for my wife as a daily driver. I am looking for some one local that can do some work for me. Looking to have change plugs, plug wires ,ignition coils, valve cover gasket and motor mounts done and a fews other maintenance things. Previous owner said he only done oils changes to car and want to make sure it is reliable. thank you

Welcome! You know the tune up work is hard to do, you may wanna pick up a repair manual and give it a shot. Post any questions while you work on it...

Experienced TGC Member
    You should have someone local check it before you waste money on stuff you don't need.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

i thought about doing some of the work myself. but i kinda wanted someone who knows about the car to take a look at it as well. how hard is it to change the plugs???

Just watched a Youtube video of the work i needed done and its easier than i thought. Going for it this weekend.

the i4 is pretty easy to work with, just do each thing one by one that way you dont get confused and do something backwards

GL and welcome to TGC

Quote Originally Posted by freshmoneyceo View Post
    Just watched a Youtube video of the work i needed done and its easier than i thought. Going for it this weekend.
    I was gonna say, watch some videos. Make sure you watch one on how to gap spark plugs. Get the gapper and set it at .41

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I was gonna say, watch some videos. Make sure you watch one on how to gap spark plugs. Get the gapper and set it at .41
    Going to change my plugs for the first time since I got my galant too (since Feb 2010). I put about 30k on it without doing a proper tune up. The weather is pretty good this week in NJ so I'm gonna give it a try.

So with the spark plugs, you mean gap them at .041 and not .41 right? Also I'm sure I'll need like a 6-inch extension but what size socket should I use to pull the plug?

Thanks,
    Scott

Welcome to TGC, I can't remember offhand the spark plug socket size (11/16", I'm not sure) but if you get a spark plug socket set, which usually has three different spark plug sockets, it's the smallest of the three that you want.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"