The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SMOKING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21
    TGC Regular

SMOKING

my 92 Galant smells like its burning oil. and there is alot of smoke coming out the back. is my engine going?

ConceptSleeper
    piston rings!!! how many miles are on your car???

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ConceptSleeper)</div><div class='quotemain'>piston rings!!! how many miles are on your car???</div>

220,000. but the engine was put in last year before i bought it. i doubt they put a heavy mile engine in. probably uner 120,00 when they put it in. i have put about 8,000 on it myself.

piston rings? thats very bad.

ConceptSleeper
    the rings are not that expensive, its the labor that'll kill you!

ConceptSleeper
    mine burns oil as well, really really bad!!! but i am looking into possible engine swaps rather than rebuilding the sohc thats in it now, i just cant seem to find anyone who has tried much modifications to our 6gs! i would like to put a 4g64 into it!! cuz my tranny has been acting up as well!!

Rasko Da Gama
    I am not familiar with that kind of problem... My SOHC goes well for now ... It has only 130.000 kilometers... I hope it will stay that way.

ConceptSleeper
    the person i bought the car from didnt take very good care of it with the maintence or anything for that matter, so mine isnt really a daily driver but i still cruise it to work everyonce in a while, i am working on getting a Super VR4 body kit right now, any how i knew this car was going to be a PROJECT car to begin with!!!

styles

I feel your pain

My 1989 Galant has the same problem. Its burning oil like crazy. When i did the emission test, i found that my car had 80 ppm for hydrocarbons. The limit in Ontario is 80 ppm!!!!! So i got lucky. And thats AFTER I put in the guaranteed to pass liquid in my gas tank.

I found that if i put in the really thick oil(5W30 or 10W40) then it sorta plugs up the gaps in the piston rings. Other than replacing the piston rings, i dont know what else you can do.

bongi
    you can try replacing the valve stem seals without taking the cylinder head off the engine block. needs valve spring compressor tool and air compressor and sparkplug adaptor. after replacing the valve stem seals there should be improvement. my galant has 200200 miles on the original engine without any work done on it. can shoot to 125mph on demand anytime.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ConceptSleeper)</div><div class='quotemain'> i would like to put a 4g64 into it!! cuz my tranny has been acting up as well!!</div>

why put a 4g64 when u can get either a non turbo 4g63 or a 4g63t.....

ConceptSleeper
    ^^still learning the specs on the DSM motors, i was just throwing out the general idea that i want to do an engine swap.

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bongi)</div><div class='quotemain'> you can try replacing the valve stem seals without taking the cylinder head off the engine block. needs valve spring compressor tool and air compressor and sparkplug adaptor. after replacing the valve stem seals there should be improvement. Â*my galant has 200200 miles on the original engine without any work done on it. Â*can shoot to 125mph on demand anytime.</div>

ur sohc can go to 125? mine can only go to 105. could urs be the dohc?

ConceptSleeper
    he probably disabled the governor

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ConceptSleeper)</div><div class='quotemain'>he probably disabled the governor</div>

i didn't know you could. how???

Rasko Da Gama
    My SOHC goes 125 too... It needs time but it gets to it.

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'>My SOHC goes 125 too... It needs time but it gets to it.</div>

well, if thats the case then my engine is probably old and worn out then huh? since mine can't go that fast?

Rasko Da Gama
    Maybe so... There are a lot of small things (small faliures) that together "hurt" engine - the price is: less speed, the car is "to thursty", burns much oil, makes smoke etc...

Try to fix all of them one by one . do it quick, otherway the things will get worse...

Good Luck PGD

ConceptSleeper
    especially if your piston rings are bad!!! your defiantly not getting max performance capabilities!!!!!

bongi
    it has a SOHC 3.0L V6 , a 6G72 for the 1988 mitsubishi galant

ConceptSleeper
    ^^^there you go 125!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast